Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ribbo

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 12:20am Post subject: Love/Hate relationship.
A few months back I picked up Jeeves and Wooster to share with mother dearest.
She enjoyed it thoroughly after being apprehensive at first, claiming she didn't like it first time around. Understandable if she caught an episode not near the start as most of the character development had already been done.

Anyway, she still can't stand "A bit of Fry and Laurie" and I must admit I didn't spend much time myself with that, but we both enjoy QI and Kingdom immensely.

What are your personal likes and dislikes show wise?

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 2:21am Post subject: Love/Hate relationship.
My husband kind of makes fun of my fondness for the Fry/Laurie duo and specifically ABOFL. Then again, he's not partial to sketch comedy at all. It's hard to get him to watch the Kids in the Hall or even the Pythons.

Oddly enough, he took to the "Jeeves and Wooster" series immediately. We watched the whole show on DVD in something like three evenings. The oddest part was when J and W jumped hand in hand from the steamship. My husband made this startled noise of distress; it was obvious that he had instantly reconsidered the series from a comedy into drama - he thought they committed suicide rather than be separated by society!

Needless to say, he's never seen QI, Kingdom or anything else a Yank needs to hunt out on YouTube.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 6:28pm Post subject: Love/Hate relationship.
My boyfriend and I have very very similar tastes. We're into mostly the same music, we enjoy the same films, video games, anime (mostly) and we have the same taste in comedy. When I bought the J&W boxset based on viewing a few episodes on ITV3 I chose to watch them with my boyfriend who hadn't seen any at all. He was just as addicted and obsessed as I was and even read one of the books which I've now borrowed. He watched all of the Boffle series with me as well (again before buying the dvds I'd only seen several episodes on Paramount 2 and random sketches on youtube). We both watch QI though when I'm not around he forgets to watch it!. He enjoyed watching Kingdom and sat through many many episodes of Pocoyo with me (not so sure what he thinks of them) and he's watched both Wilde and Bright Young Things with me as well as some other films which Stephen Fry is in a bit like V For Vendetta and MirrorMask. He keeps moaning that he missed Tom Brown's Schooldays. X-D

When it comes to my family my sister has the same taste in comedy as me and watches QI with me religiously every week and did so with Kingdom as well. My mum and dad watched Kingdom but never bothered with QI. Then last weekend my mum finally watched an episode of QI and she enjoyed it! Now she wants to watch more. My dad on the otherhand isn't interested. He thinks it's for Oxford types trying to highbrow you.

Assuming direct control...