Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 5:31am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

^I don't know if I could have dealt with that without actually laughing right there! no straight lines! you could have done an Alan "W" whatevaaaaa.

a lot of my online buddy pals who watch my American political comedy shows also like Rachel Maddow and tons of them have mentioned especially loving the kakapo Moment of Geek and I'm feeling proud, like "that's my Stephen and Mark!" (even though I definitely in no way have a legit claim to ownership...)

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 11:44am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Laur1991 said:
My Art History prof was talking about the acropolis where the Parthenon is. I had to contain my laughter when she started to talk about its lack of straight lines.

You are better than I am, especially if she used that phrase ("the acropolis where the Parthenon is"). I would definitely have started laughing, and probably would have asked her if she watched QI.

Of course you do, exo. As a Fluffette we have rights to claim Mark and Stephen as part of our extended family.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 3:02pm Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Ahhh...My son is home sick (that is not the lovely thing) It is raining, at one minute before 8am and both of my kids are still asleep. I love waking up to a nice quiet house to myself, even for a short time.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Katrina

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 6:41pm Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

exoskeleton said:
^I don't know if I could have dealt with that without actually laughing right there! no straight lines! you could have done an Alan "W" whatevaaaaa.

Yeah, I couldn't have handled it! I guess it's nice that I'm going home tomorrow, but not overly nice. It's only been 7.5 weeks, so I'm not sure if I'm ready...

Oh, just thought of something: all my sisters are making paddles, etc. to give to their littles, and it is ADORABLE! I kind of want a little, but my real sister will be here next year, so I'd rather have her.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

marzgirl

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 7:56pm Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Lovely little thing is this thread. I don't often give notice to little nice things, so this gives me a chance to sit back and really take the time to think about and appreciate the little things. Very refreshing!
Now I am off to little annoying things!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 11:28pm Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

have any of you bought the new Last Chance to See book? I imagine it's lovely so I want to stick it here. what's it like, as in the format and content? who does the writing? (I am good with Stephen or Mark, but just curious.) I'm have been working and now I want to get something nice and special.

sockdolager.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 12:28am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

I just looked on Amazon and it is by Mark and Douglas Adams.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 12:57am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

there is that one, which is the only one to show up on the US Amazon, but the UK has a new one with Mark and Stephen (which is based on the new show.) here is a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Chance-See-Stephen-Fry/dp/0007290721

also, looking at that link, I answered my own authorship question-- intro by Stephen, book by Mark.

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 2:16am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Yeah, Soph has the book. You may want to nudge her if she doesn't look in here tomorrow.

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 2:18am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

I will...though I already decided to get it. I cannot resist and I know I'll have time to read and enjoy it right when it arrives.

sockdolager.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 2:46am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Yeah, I cannot get that one yet.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 3:57am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

since it's a lovely thing, worldwide free shipping from the Book Depository was the way I got the book even here in the US. it's the first place I look for any book now, whether available nearby or not, because it's at least worth comparing prices!

sockdolager.

Katrina

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 6:49am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

One of my sisters just got back from her 21st. She's not really... walking (not that she hasn't been doing this semi-frequently for the last three years ). Hilarious. Priceless sights such as these are why my parents are DEFINITELY invited to my 21st birthday extravaganza in one year, three months, and two weeks.

EDIT: I just checked, and this really is lovely: my 21st is on a Thursday. That means QUARTER BEER NIGHT AT THE NEON CACTUS (when you take your big plastic Cactus Cup and they'll fill it for 25 cents)!!!

Unrelated: I would also like to purchase the LCTS book. If for no other reason than to view adorable animals (Stephen and Mark included).

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 8:26am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

Exo, the Last Chance to See book is superb. Approx. 320 pages written by Mark Carwardine in a really amazing way. His way of writing is rather natural but it’s a real masterpiece as he combines all the zoological information with a lot of human insight. He asks questions that you would ask yourself. You are hanging on his every word about the endangered species but it’s an enormous pleasure to read his detailed, amused, complaisant descriptions about his fellow Stephen Fry. How to convince him to climb a mountain, how to call his attention to something. I loved it when he described his own thoughts about how to get Stephen excited for Kakapos. In his mind he was playing through the whole situation as he feared Stephen would not recognize that a bird, unable to fly, could be of interest. Well prepared with many arguments he met Stephen but he only needed to say Kakapo and Stephen was ready to start.
He is commenting this with a lot of self-irony coming then immediately to the next zoological point. Mark Carwardine is able to write in an entertaining way but you always feel how important this matter is to him. He can cause you to laugh coming then with thought-provoking facts, can tell funny anecdotes to continue then with a painful subject .

Don’t miss this book. The foreword is written by Stephen Fry and they both are doing an homage to Douglas Adams in the finest possible way.

Rain Dog

Posted Thu Oct 8th, 2009 8:52am Post subject: Lovely Little Things II - the lost years

^ I agree with everything you said, ladyfromhamburg. The book is indeed superbly written, I just got it a few days ago and have spent almost every free minute reading it (it's not the lightest book to carry around either..) I got it just before my presentation about Stephen Fry and when I talked about what Stephen has been doing recently I showed the book and talked about the series very enthusiastically.

I wholeheartedly recommed the original Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine as well, I think I shall be reading it again soon.