Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

the.lost.one

Posted Tue Mar 29th, 2011 3:03pm Post subject: MacBook or PC?

Is it true that one can write better on a MacBook? That its superior style and construction reflects in one's writing? Do you know what is Mr. Fry's work machine? What do you guys use?

Apple

Posted Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 5:38am Post subject: MacBook or PC?

I built my own PC.... By that, I mean I bought all the components and put them together, not literally sauter and all that SOOPER FUN stuff. My OS is Windows 7 as well.
I wouldn't say a Mac or a PC is any better for writing. I know you'd want a MAC for video editing and such. And I also use Open Office for writing, not sure if that's connected to Windows or not, I just got it off the interwebz.
Sir Fry uses a Mac, though I think he Twitters and such from one of his dozens of smart phones. Fact uttered quite often, he was the second person to buy a Macintosh in the UK (Douglas Adams, one of Fry's friends, bought the first two). So I think he's a bit of a fanboy.

I don't like using computers I didn't put together myself, for some reason it makes me feel like I cheated :P. I some times write, but my computer is mainly for gaming and watching shows/movies.

"Is it true that one can write better on a MacBook? That its superior style and construction reflects in one's writing?"
I think that might be like saying wearing Nike's makes you run faster and jump higher .

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

cloud1240

Posted Wed Apr 20th, 2011 1:27pm Post subject: MacBook or PC?

I've used both macs (at home) and pc's at work and on the whole mac's are easier to use. All pc's have there problems though. There are some lovely writing apps, mellel, storymill (if you want to write novels), marinerwrite, contour ( for writing scripts) ....the list goes on.

If you're used to using pcs and happy getting dirty fixing them (both hardware and software wise) then a pc is an ok option.

People gripe about macs and their price but remember you're also getting mac osx with all install disks, ilife apps and a well built product. ( get extended support it is worth it) if you get a mac. Finally you have less hassles with viruses, trojans and the like on macs - there are a few but if you use free apps like avg linkscanner and one of the free antivrus apps you'll be fine. Also mac os comes with a built in firewall and also out of the box has most ports closed to threats.

PC's you have to be really on your guard and have good antivrus, anti malware and a good firewall.

you pays you're money and takes your choice. Give us a shout if you need to know more. always happy to help.

cloud1240

Posted Wed Apr 20th, 2011 1:28pm Post subject: MacBook or PC?

seems to want to post twice - using a pc....

indie_ebooks

Posted Sat May 7th, 2011 5:19pm Post subject: MacBook or PC?

I covet a mac book air but I have always used a pc. Scrivener is a great piece of software for writing. It was originally developed for macs but there is now a windows version.

Cheers
Nadine

My Blog

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Wed May 11th, 2011 5:35am Post subject: MacBook or PC?

Apple's marketing strategy is to sell dramatic appeal and their pro line hardware is well made. The air line is great. In testing it's hard to use for typing, if that makes you feel better. Nice pens and deadlines are still the easiest, though Scrivener is neat.

BobRassler

Posted Wed May 11th, 2011 11:02am Post subject: MacBook or PC?

I have never ownec a Mac in any form, but if I had the money I would get one.

The software and integration of applications is a great deal better than on Windows machines. The UNIX-Like background means that your software can be closer to the machine (you do not lose power or speed to the cotton wool that fills much of the Windows operating system).

The only problem really is that the best machines and software are a great deal more expensive than the Windows versions.The cut down versions of the video and picture editors are ok, but the really good stuff such as the full version of Final Cut is way out of the price range of mere mortals.

Only a northerner knows the true joys of yorkshire puddings, it is all to do with crispy bottoms.

Nitro

Posted Fri May 13th, 2011 2:40am Post subject: MacBook or PC?

First of all, for robust, stable, and greater security ( including being a greater resister, so to speak, of malware ) operatings system, you can never go wrong with Apple's OS X, wether you do so on their laptop or workstation.

I find most PC operatings systems suffering from extreme 'code bloat'. Not one o/s that Microshit delivers has avoided this yet. Not. One. And, they are far more prone to instability. Which can impact your writing if you're clicking along and forget to save. You could lose it.

Every Mac I've had, has been a splended writing companion because it creates restore points automatically, so on the odd ocassion that the system burbed, when I rebooted...tra la la la! There was my file restored

Neither platform will make you a *better* writer.

BTW, it's Mac, not MAC. MAC is generally used when speaking of a 'MAC' address and that is related to networking, not writing or operating systems.

The great thing about OpenOffice isn't just that it's a free and strong player against the MS Office suite, but that it can work on most all operating systems available out there.

If I had to choose between a Mac and a PC, I'd pick the Mac any day.

Really? Wow.

jobernowl

Posted Thu Jun 9th, 2011 3:58pm Post subject: MacBook or PC?

I have to say that I really like the keyboards on the Macs I´ve tried, but that´s about it- they´re, to me, just too overpriced. So for general use, as well as writing, I´d have to stick to my PC, using OpenOffice running under Linux MINT (If Ubuntu´s for people to lazy to configure Debian, MINT´s for those of us almost too lazy to breathe).

As far as the writing produced, ultimately I don´t believe the text editor defines the writer, and that there´s no real difference qualitatively speaking between the writing produced on a Mac, a PC or a good old fashioned typewriter. It´s the mind behind the word that counts, not the keyboard tapping it out.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 14th, 2011 5:32am Post subject: MacBook or PC?

"That its superior style and construction reflects in one's writing? "

Forgot to answer: Thas' raht mr.cheekymonkey...Muh wrytunziz much bedder wit uh May-uhk. Doncha go lis'nen to thum weezuhlz whut tay-ulz yoo n e diff'runt nee ther.

The Mac, out of the box, does tend to be more expensive. However, what you must add to a pc, generally, to get it on par with a Mac will bring you around to the price of a Mac right out of the box. It's a 'cost up front vs cost down the road' kinda thingy.

Really? Wow.