Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 15th, 2008 6:16pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
Is anyone else following the MacWorld 2008 Keynote? The new MacBook Air is sweeeet.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 15th, 2008 6:26pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
Here's the stats in case other people missed it:

3.0 pounds, 0.16 -0.76 inches, 13.inch display, full-sized keyboard, multi-touch gestures, iSight, 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo standard, 2GB memory standard, 80GB hard drive standard (64GB SSD optional), 802.11n Wi-Fi standard, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR standard, and MagSafe.

There is no optical drive, but a new program allows remote access and installation to and of info on CDs and DVDs.

For me the lack of the optical drive makes it decidedly less sweet.

flookwit

Posted Tue Jan 15th, 2008 7:39pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
deleted

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 15th, 2008 7:45pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
I've had no problem with the MagSafe power cord on my laptop, but I use it quite irregularly. I keep trying to sort out the main market for the Air. Fanboys obviously and maybe reporters too...but who else? Possibly commuters in mobile offices but that's an awful high price for companies to pay.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jan 16th, 2008 12:08am Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
Ew it's sealed like an iPod. No access to battery, RAM, HD which makes it a toy in my book, a highly $$$ toy

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jan 16th, 2008 12:09am Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
Annnnnd a video of the new ad for MacBook Air

flookwit

Posted Wed Jan 16th, 2008 8:43pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
deleted

ClareBear

Posted Thu Jan 17th, 2008 7:12am Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
I would like to see a GPS unit for tthe iPod Touch, so when I stick mine in the car....voila! satnav.

Not sure wether the iPhone would need it, with the Wi-Fi/GSM overlapped triangulation. Probably would.

MacBook Air? meh, my Powerbook isn't exactly bloated and overweight.

Apple TV Mk.2.....Finally it's useful especially with the announcement on Fox dvds going forward (other studios will join in, i'm sure) of a second copy of a movie on a disc. Movie and TV rentals? why not?

iPod/Phone updates? Welcome. Loving Maps. Given it's powered off GoogleMaps, d'ya reckon it'll take postcode entry?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jan 17th, 2008 4:17pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
There is a pseudo GPS on the iTouch as of the keynote, at least in the US. For $20 US current iTouch owners can get five new apps (stocks, maps, mail, notes, and weather) while any new purchasers will receive them with their purchase (grr). The maps uses WiFi to triangulate current locations, even in a car. International support comes "later this year". Personally I'm too pissed about the extra $20 to bother.

the-archivist

Posted Fri Jan 18th, 2008 9:53pm Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
The extra functions on the iPod Touch are certainly worth it. The mapping is worth the £12 alone. My screen is now full of icons (mostly links to web pages) and I've even started my second screen ...

As for the MacBook Air, not sure. Jury's still out with me. I like the idea of not having an optical drive (just nick someone else's within wireless range). It looks a little too flimsy for my liking. I remember the problems the early iPod Nanos had with their screens, and the Air could be an unwelcome repeat performance.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 1:21am Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
Hee. Apparently other people aren't overly impressed with the Macbook Air either

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1797523

ClareBear

Posted Sat Jan 19th, 2008 7:33am Post subject: MacWorld/MacBook Air
The smexiest cat bed you've ever seen: