Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:04pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Enough of what annoys us or what we find lovely, let's take action and start making the world a better place ourselves by our own actions. Nothing contentious mind you - we don't want arguments between vegetarians and carnivores/the faithful and the faithless - just advice to make this crummy world more bearable. I have started this thread because I'm sick of some of the catfighting amongst certain members. Let's have an entirely productive thread for once.

1. Look shopkeepers in the eye, smile, thank them and say goodbye before you leave.
2. Apply the following mantra before posting - "what would Stephen do?".

OK what else do you suggest?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:14pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
I think applying the first point to everybody would make a difference. So many people don't even notice other people around them. Little things like that can make a big difference to people who are having a bad day.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:15pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Good afternoon.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:16pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Hello there Mr Steed

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:38pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

1. Look shopkeepers in the eye, smile, thank them and say goodbye before you leave.

I did that today. The cashier looked at me like I was looney.

2. Apply the following mantra before posting - "what would Stephen do?".

He'd probably post something extravagantly witty and intelligent. I can't do that!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 4:38pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Don't be so modest.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 7:08pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Acknowledging other people's existence. Treating workers in places like shops like they're real people. Be friendly. I'm always talking to strangers on buses and at bus stops. I don't see the need to be rude and ignore them. I probably won't see them again but why should that stop me from being nice to them?

Assuming direct control...

whattocallmyself

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 7:22pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
I am almost always polite, but as Fryphile mentioned, the people I come across looks at me like I´m a loon.

When I smile and say "thank you",
Women usaly stares at me with anger, and men looks at me with a twinkle in the eye.
-Whats up with that?
Is normal niceness that exclusive in sweden?

My advise in situations is, always treat people the way you´d like to be treated. (Even if they do not deserve it.)

Onwards and Upwards!

holdthenewsreadersnose

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 8:12pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

My advise in situations is, always treat people the way you´d like to be treated. (Even if they do not deserve it.)Occasionally I'd like to be spanked by a PVC-clad dominatrix wearing a pair of marigolds, but I'm fairly sure that most people don't want that from me. They always look so surprised.

whattocallmyself

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 8:50pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
X-D
I´d like to see their faces in that situation!

Onwards and Upwards!

christy

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 9:35pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said:
'Do not treat others as you would wish to be treated; they may not have the same taste as you.'
X-D

*****always in the gutter, but looking at the stars*****

Mandibles

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:05pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
I always thank people ESPECIALLY! (exclamation mark!) the bus driver. Yes, he just has to drive a bus, but it's a public service, no doubt tiring job and he has to deal with drunkards, neds, chavs and people scrabbling for change for ages.

Here's to the bus driver!

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

christy

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:23pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Hurrah for bus drivers!
I love 'em! I don't drive, but we have a pretty good bus service - I'd be stuck without it.. I always thank them when getting off the bus, and usually try to let them know that I understand how tough their job is.
Sometimes just going

at the weather, or someone messing about with change/tickets etc is enough to make them smile.

*What would Stephen do?*
My guess is he'd be nice to bus drivers!

Saturn

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:30pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
As if he ever travels with the hoi polloi on a bus X-D

Doesn't he run around London in that Taxi cab?

Or is that someone else I was thinking of?

christy

Posted Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:52pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
He does indeed have a cab. He drove it in 'Bright Young Things' where he played a taxi driver (in his own film - very Hitchcock!)
I'd love to get into a taxi in London and find that it was Stephen at the wheel!
X-D