Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Red Raven

Posted Mon Sep 17th, 2007 1:45am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

'Be excellent to each other'

Party on, dudes.

LOL My dad still says that from time to time.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Sep 17th, 2007 1:59am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

Party on, dudes.

i still like to call socrates "so crates."

Red Raven

Posted Mon Sep 17th, 2007 2:20am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

Party on, dudes.

i still like to call socrates "so crates."

So do I :-//

And I've been known to shout "IRON MAIDEN" at random times to scare my mom. X-D

Britannicus

Posted Mon Sep 17th, 2007 5:22pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

1. Look shopkeepers in the eye, smile, thank them and say goodbye before you leave.

Ya know how when you do this to regular people on the street or whatever? And they look back at you like you're pure filth? Yikes. Half my dorm is like this, so I am conducting an experiment next Sunday that I feel will alleviate some of this, er, unpleasant tension. Let's hope I'm wrong and it doesn't work after all, cause that would just suck.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

whatonearth

Posted Sun Oct 7th, 2007 10:59pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place

1. Look shopkeepers in the eye, smile, thank them and say goodbye before you leave.

YES! Thank God I don't work in retail any more but I agree with that wholeheartedly. In fact just generally being as pleasant as possible to the people you have any kind of brief encounter with in everyday life would make everyone much happier. When I worked as a shop assistant, I really couldn't do enough for people who were polite and thoughtful when asking me to help them.

Learning and applying any kind of knowledge is a good thing too, something which I'm usually quite guilty of not doing but at the very least it helps stop you from getting stuck in an bitter, narrow-minded rut.

joan

Posted Mon Oct 8th, 2007 12:34am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
We try to cheer shop assistants, especially checkout workers with a laugh and a joke too...they love it, as the boredom of the job drives them insane.

We are political too, and fight against any government ideas and actions that are harmful to ordinary people or the environment.

And we lead as green a life as possibly - recycle, re-use, compost. grow our own veggies, keep chickens. plant trees. travel by train and bus when poss. - the usual stuff.

BUT - we can be awfully grumpy at times too. and prone to reject much of what society in general accepts and likes: sarcastic, cynical: not nice.

Saturn

Posted Mon Oct 8th, 2007 9:28am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Why the royal "we"

seasun545

Posted Mon Oct 8th, 2007 4:18pm Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Hi people,
I would like to add: let´s be very very kind and warm with lonely old people that needs human contact, conversation and a smile more than eat. There´s a very old man in my building that is always alone, I´ve just seen him talking to other old people but mostly, walking alone, never seen his sons with him, though I´ve been living here for more than five years. I started talking to him and then I started to hold his arm, and now, he always gives me two kisses each time he sees me cause I always spend a few minutes with him and I ask him where he goes, how he is, is it going to rain today...whatever. Though he´s a bit deaf and it´s hard to talk to him, I just see his eyes longing to talk to someone and dhe looks so pleased to see me that I can´t help but stopping, it´s so easy to fill some of those endless lonely minutes...it´s nothing for us, but a lot for them. I think there must nothing worse than be old and be alone and no one talking to you cause you´re not interesting anymore.
I see many old people every day, walking alone, sitting alone in a bench...it´s not so difficult sitting with them and just say hi, sure they will continue the conversation. That would make the world a bit better, I´m sure. And hey, If you asked for old times, there´s always something interesting to know, they´re all living books...

joan

Posted Tue Oct 9th, 2007 3:48am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Why the royal "we"

'Cos we know our place in life.

(Actually, I was referring to my husband and me - but if I'd said "my husband and I" that would have sounded regal too....)

Saturn

Posted Tue Oct 9th, 2007 9:48am Post subject: Make the World a Better Place
Ha X-D