Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

eworm

Posted Mon Aug 4th, 2008 2:59pm Post subject: Making History: Those Were The Days - is this the title?
Hi,

I just finished Making History (a great book by the way). At the end Stephen recommends some more reading, and he recommends the book Those Were The Days. But when I google for the author Hannah Arendt I get the impression he actually means the book 'Eichmann in Jerusalem'. This book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_Jerusalem. Can anyone enlighten me?

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Aug 4th, 2008 4:37pm Post subject: Making History: Those Were The Days - is this the title?
Hi,

I just finished Making History (a great book by the way). At the end Stephen recommends some more reading, and he recommends the book Those Were The Days. But when I google for the author Hannah Arendt I get the impression he actually means the book 'Eichmann in Jerusalem'. This book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_Jerusalem. Can anyone enlighten me?

No, he refers to Those Were the Days. The Holocaust seen by the perpetrators and bystanders, by Ernst Klee, Willi Dresser, Volker Riess (paperback, Hamish Hamilton Limited, 1988, 1991).
Though the author isn't, as Mr Fry claims, Johann Paul Kremer, parts of his infamous diary are printed there. Kremer was a doctor in Auschwitz and kept a diary, one of the most horrifying texts ever written. The randomness and ease with which he narrates the most unspeakable crimes and horror alongside tidbits from his personal life are an example for the "banality of evil", an expression coined by Hannah Ahrendt.

paulriggall

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 3:58pm Post subject: Making History: Those Were The Days - is this the title?
I read making history about a year ago, and it sticks with me still as a rippimg yarn, I feel the subject matter was handled very delicately and how refreshing the lack of morality as we all know , at least you all do, its a no brainer really, to deal with the human moral endeavour when it comes to the holocaust. Please please please remember the soldiers from dear old blighty who were there, they understood the banality of that evil, lots never came back....xx good book xx