Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 6:35am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
Hullo dears.
After posting on another forum about the manic in manic depression and after feeling it begin to build in myself again, I thought it would be worth having a forum for people to come and post in whilst they feel manic, or if they want to talk about their mania, to help them chill out and keep themselves safe.

I recently had a severe manic episode in which I shaved off all of my hair, in the process cutting up my head pretty bad. Then I went out onto the street in nothing but a singlet and undies and went to the pub. I thought I looked freaking fantastic, and I talked to all these people about how I was gonna be famous and change the world with my acting and such. Not not not cool, Lily. But at the time I thought I was fine. Perhaps if I had run it by someone here first I would have realised how bad an idea that was.

So.

Thankyou my lovlies.

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 10:07am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
OK, so that was "manic", but if you were not in the West and lived as a Buddhist or in a small tribal village, then sahving your head or going round scantily clad would be quite normal. That book, The Fall, I mentioned in the other thread talks about how our taboos around sex and oppression of women all stem from the ego.

I think you might just be thinking more clearly than you realised. You can read the first chapter of that book for free online here:

http://www.steventaylor.talktalk.net/fallextract.htm

Would you believe that I met the author the other day? When I first thought "I could meet this guy", I thought it was a bit far-fetched, but there I was with him in the pub and then we went to a meeting of local buddhists together too. When I first emailed him back in August in regards something I read on the BBC website, I would have never thought all this possible. But it is. Because we are all just people.

If someone has managed something, it proves that it is possible. For you to dream that you can do it is not crazy. So please keep pursuing your acting dream. You will make it, providing you meet someone who has some faith!

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 10:29am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
...like you?
That was probably the single most kind thing anyone has ever said to me, those last couple of lines.
thankyou, really.
(and i just read that chapter, do you reckon amazon would have this book?)
have you ever read shantaram?
thats a book i just finished that has instilled something wonderful in me.
xx

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 11:50am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
I have TOTAL FAITH in you! Because ...

You clearly have a tender heart and passion to do good in the world. People standing in your way of scared of you, I think. It is hard for them to see someone who doesn't fit in with the messed up world we live in. You and I are ready for the new world that's coming once everyone wakes up from their obsession with money and power! The tide is turning!

In other news, I've recently discovered how accurate "Someday" by UK band "Embrace" is to describe my europhic feelings of love for the world and all its living creatures:

Someday, you're gonna see the way I see things
Break out the box they keep you sealed in
Someday, you find the real thing

Someday, you're gonna feel the isolation
'cause no one wants you with them
Someday, I'm gonna bring you back
and you wont know how to act
the world you think is safe, is changing fast
and all the runaways, will run their last
If you turn away, you can't turn back
The time has come to make way

And you just don't matter too much to me
If you can't run 'cause I will carry
You upon my back until you're safe
And you will feel the way I feel someday

Someday, you're gonna feel the way I'm feeling
But all the bad you think I'm suffering, won't break
It only heals me

For every stone you throw you'll carry
A million more and you'll be sorry
No one will escape who knows the way
And we will not sow as we reap someday

A light is gonna shine on you and i
A light is gonna shine on you and i

For every stone you throw you'll carry
A million more and you'll be sorry
No one will escape who knows the way
And we will not sow as we reap someday

Someday, you're gonna see the way I see things
Break out the box they keep you sealed in
Someday, we're gonna bring you back....

It's going on the end of the soundtrack of my life (part one).

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 11:56am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
and on the soundtrack to my life goes...:

Here's the day you hoped would never come
Don't feed me violence
just run with me through rows of speeding cars.
The papercuts the cheating lovers
The coffee's never strong enough
i know you think it's more than just bad luck

There there baby
it's just text book stuff
it's in the ABC of growing up
Now now darling
oh don't lose your head
cause none of us were angels
and you know I love you yeah

Sleeping pills know sleeping dogs lie
never far enough away
Glistening in the cold sweat of guilt
I've watched you slowly winding down for years
You can't keep on like this...
now's a bad a time as any

There there baby
it's just text book stuff
it's in the ABC of growing up
Now now darling
oh don't kill yourself
cause none of us were angels
and you know I love you yeah

I have TOTAL FAITH in you! Because ...

You clearly have a tender heart and passion to do good in the world. People standing in your way of scared of you, I think. It is hard for them to see someone who doesn't fit in with the messed up world we live in. You and I are ready for the new world that's coming once everyone wakes up from their obsession with money and power! The tide is turning!

p.s. you're such a sweetheart, thankyou.

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 11:56am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
...like you?
(and i just read that chapter, do you reckon amazon would have this book?)
have you ever read shantaram?
thats a book i just finished that has instilled something wonderful in me.
xx

I forgot to answer your questions:

I bought The Fall from Amazon.co.uk. I expect you can find one to send to Australia. Steve did four years of research on the book, and it has been championed by none other than Eckhart Tolle of The Power of Now fame.

One book I think that sits really well with The Fall, which describes what is wrong with the world, is Shamhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior. This tells you how to fix the world. I really think you would like it.

I've not read Shantaram. I just looked it up on Google. Looks like quite an adventure, with a good message too.

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 11:58am Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
and on the soundtrack to my life goes...:

Here's the day you hoped would never come
Don't feed me violence

p.s. you're such a sweetheart, thankyou.

It feels good to be open honest and nice to a lady without being accused of flirting

What song is that? I will buy it online from somewhere ...

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:00pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
shantaram is the single most fucking amazing book i've ever read; the poetry of words and imagery is beautiful. i could quote and quote and quote from that book.
make you a deal; i read the fall (eventually), you read shantaram (likewise).
deal?
xox

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:01pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
oh and the song is 'speeding cars' by imogen heap. sorry, we're missing each other in transit, as it were

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:08pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
shantaram is the single most fucking amazing book i've ever read; the poetry of words and imagery is beautiful. i could quote and quote and quote from that book.
make you a deal; i read the fall (eventually), you read shantaram (likewise).
deal?
xox

Not really the kind of "book deal" I've been looking for, but ...

Hmm. Like I said above, The Fall tells you why things are messed up. It's more something you need to prove things to others. I think you would get more value from reading Shambhala. It's a smaller book. Here's my review from one of my many websites:

"A good friend of mine read me a chapter of this about four weeks ago [June 07], after I'd been telling him about my recent thoughts and experiences (including starting my book). There were two key things that struck me: firstly, a warrior can only be born out of intense sadness; secondly, that the fearlessness possessed by the warrior does not mean being without fear, but acknowledging fear and then going beyond it.

I was so inspired by what I'd heard, I decided to become the fearless warrior my friend had described. In just one week, the number of positive things I'd achieved by stepping beyond my fears was startling, but it quickly became clear to me that my new approach to life could be very disruptive, so I decided to tone down my fearlessness until I fully understood how to use it in harmony with existing relationships and responsibilies. "

In hindsight, I was probably manic at this time. But at the same time, I didn't do anything dangerous like running across the road. I just challenged some dumb things and made them better.

So, to summarise: I will read that novel if you read Shambala.

DEAL?

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:11pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
totally a deal.
the title's are even similar.
*to the local library with me*

well, not right now, it's 11:48pm, and I have rehearsals tomorrow, but in the afternoon perhaps.

also i'm um...procuring that song you mentioned, 'someday' by embrace, from...the store.

yes, that was inconspicuous enough.

ManicMajor

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:20pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
Not sure you will find it in the library.

Here's an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shambhala-Sacred-Warrior-P.....570621284/

Thanks very much for our conversations on here this morning/evening!

I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

LilyG

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 12:25pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
thanks darlin, i'll check it out.

and as for the conversation, it's been truly great and just what i needed, so any time!

but here in the land of aus it is very late, and the fact that i'm going to turn up for rehearsals tomorrow with dark circles under my eyes is overridden by the fact that i have enjoyed myself very much.

night night my dear (or good morning to you..?) and thanks heaps. see you real soon!

lily xx

katysara

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 2:27pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
Interesting. 2 manics being manic together. Not the first time I've seen it, but the first time I've seen it online like this for a while.

Lily, go for your dreams, that much is true. But look after your health or you will have nothing.

Ian, hugs mate, see a doctor.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

st.bipolar

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2008 5:04pm Post subject: Mania; post here before doing something stupid.
oh mary this londons a wonderful sight the people all working by day and by night!

just thought id add to the mania