Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Fri Nov 14th, 2008 1:31pm Post subject: Matthias Rath
Has anyone heard of this man?

I won't bore with details yet, to begin with I'm just curious if anyone has heard of him and his connections with HIV/AIDs in South Africa, and if so what you have heard.

whatonearth

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 6:07pm Post subject: Matthias Rath
Nobody?

amberzak

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 9:31pm Post subject: Matthias Rath
sorry. Should I have done?

whatonearth

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 5:32am Post subject: Matthias Rath
Actually, to be honest the fewer who have the better, maybe. Or maybe not, depends how you look at it.

He has had a bit of an anti ARV campaign going in South Africa, largely to further his own ends it seems.

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 9:43am Post subject: Matthias Rath
Since you mentioned it I looked him up, and the story is actually familiar to me but I couldn't have told you his name.

That would be me.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 10:14am Post subject: Matthias Rath
Ah cool. What do you think about it all? Sorry, I know I'm being really vague but I normally just go straight into rant mode so I thought I'd try something a bit different for a change

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 2:22pm Post subject: Matthias Rath
I know who he is now. He was the one who started saying that natural remedies will cure diabetes too.

Yeah, I am not really that supportive of his views. I find it somewhat suspect that he is a business man too, who is trying to sell vitimins.

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 2:34pm Post subject: Matthias Rath
Talking purely scientifically there appears to be very little evidence to back up his theories and his attempts to produce some so don't appear to follow normal (or accepted) procedures. People shouldn't be afraid to question "established consensus" from time to time (as did the people who discovered stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not stress) but that doesn't mean that established consensus is usually wrong!

Talking ethically I think it's appalling to offer people false hope based on your own agenda, and even dangerous with infectious diseases. Medical practitioners have a duty of care to the patients welfare that should transcend your own particular wishes.

That would be me.

whatonearth

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 9:16am Post subject: Matthias Rath
Talking purely scientifically there appears to be very little evidence to back up his theories and his attempts to produce some so don't appear to follow normal (or accepted) procedures. People shouldn't be afraid to question "established consensus" from time to time (as did the people who discovered stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not stress) but that doesn't mean that established consensus is usually wrong!

Talking ethically I think it's appalling to offer people false hope based on your own agenda, and even dangerous with infectious diseases. Medical practitioners have a duty of care to the patients welfare that should transcend your own particular wishes.

I think part of the problem with people like Matthas Rath is that they encourage people to look to the wrong places for answers. It's undeniable that there are problems with the way the pharmaceutical industry works, but peddling your own vitamin supplements, telling people not to take ARVs, claiming that HIV is a racist colonial conspiracy to kill black people and that ARVs don't work at all, performing unethical experiments on people causing them to die, suing journalists for libel for daring to criticise them, and telling lies about what charities and campaign groups are or are not doing, isn't really the way to solve those problems.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything.