Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Drac0

Posted Mon Jan 16th, 2012 9:59pm Post subject: Me Time

A visit to "a place to sit" got me thinking about how people who know I have bipolar/depression can't understand that even if I'm not feeling to down, I need a little quiet time, some me time.

Admittedly, when I get right down I withdraw from the world around me (as a lot of us probably do). But just because I want some time alone it doesn't mean I'm suicidal or even down at all. They can't seem to accept that I LIKE to be alone, to kick back with a good book or some music (or both) for a few hours.

I've even got one person who just will not leave me alone no matter how often I say I'm fine & just want some peace & quiet. She constantly calls me saying 'talk to me, what's wrong' and won't believe I'm fine.

The other week I even went to the extreme of disconnecting my phone, & turning off my mobile to get some peace. No dice, when she couldn't get me she showed up on my doorstep. I know that she does care & gets worried about me but jeeze......

Anyone else get this, when they just won't believe your fine? What have you done to get the message through?

Cheers.

My journey, my story.....a blog of my ongoing struggle with mental illness.
When I'm down, I write. Find some of my scribblings on Scribd.
Find me on Twitter: @drac0z

cashew

Posted Wed Jan 18th, 2012 12:38pm Post subject: Me Time

At least you've got somebody who cares. That's something, even if you find it annoying. I'd rather have somebody annoying me, than knowing beyond any doubt that nobody gives a crap.

Drac0

Posted Thu Jan 19th, 2012 8:59am Post subject: Me Time

cashew said:
At least you've got somebody who cares. That's something, even if you find it annoying. I'd rather have somebody annoying me, than knowing beyond any doubt that nobody gives a crap.

It's not always true that nobody cares. One thing I've found out since I've managed to get my condition under more control is that there are more people than I ever thought who do care but they just don't know how to talk with you.

One of my brothers is a good example of this. He has recently told me he's glad I'm getting better because he just didn't know how to deal with me when I was so withdrawn & uncommunicative. For that reason he stopped calling, stopped visiting. He was worried about me still, but just didn't know what to do.

So despite what I would think - same as you, that nobody cares - there were people who do, but they just don't know what to do. That's why getting mental health issues out in the open is so important, not only as information & help for sufferers but also to help those around them so they can understand & help more.

So just perhaps, you aren't quite as alone as you may think.

Frazzy

Posted Sat Jan 21st, 2012 5:58pm Post subject: Me Time

I just hide.. In a cupboard if it comes to that.. My boyfriend's grandparents have very comfortable cupboards..
Keep curtains closed so no one can see I'm home and I don't have to answer the door. If the curtains are open, dive behind the couch any time a car is heard in the driveway... I once hid under a desk for an hour to avoid talking to a plumber, perfectly sane, normal behaviour, right?

Drac0

Posted Sat Jan 21st, 2012 9:53pm Post subject: Me Time

I used to be like that Frazzy, though it hasn't happened in a couple of years thanks to new meds. Answering the phone or doors was a big no-no. Thankfully that part seems over for me, at least for now.

I still don't like the contact, but at least I can generally deal with it. Changing to Serequel & Effexor seems to have helped me. My current girlfriend finds it hard a lot of the time to believe I'm bipolar because she's never seen me during a bad time & now I can act pretty 'normal' most of the time.

Really hope you can find something that helps you.

Cheers

Frazzy

Posted Sun Jan 22nd, 2012 1:40am Post subject: Me Time

I can deal with it some days, other days, someone will just say 'good morning' and look at me waiting for a reply, and that is hell.

Drac0

Posted Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 3:09am Post subject: Me Time

Thinking about this I'm finding that I am actually still doing it, but more indirectly because of modern technology. Instead of not answering the phone, I'll put my mobile on silent so I can say 'oh sorry, didn't hear your call'.

And yes, I seem to still have it happen when people call around to see me - last night someone came to my door & I just ignored it, waiting for them to just go away. They did & when they called several hours later I found they had assumed I was sleeping.

So I do still do it, just that a mobile phone on silent gives me an out.

The CatBat Princess

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2012 6:24pm Post subject: Me Time

Frazzy said:
I just hide.. In a cupboard if it comes to that.. My boyfriend's grandparents have very comfortable cupboards..
Keep curtains closed so no one can see I'm home and I don't have to answer the door. If the curtains are open, dive behind the couch any time a car is heard in the driveway... I once hid under a desk for an hour to avoid talking to a plumber, perfectly sane, normal behaviour, right?

That sounds very familiar to me.

I like to dress up as a peapod sometimes.
http://thecatbatprincess.wordpress.com/