Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ysabella

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 12:54am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Just noting all these meta-discussions about whether the forum is good enough, whether it should be nicer, whether it meets people's expectations...I thought I'd start a thread for discussing those meta-discussions. Are you getting what you hoped for out of the meta-discussions on this forum?

Aoibheann

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:06am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Going to go out on a limb here.....

You should have included in the choices... 'What in the name of jeasus is a Meta- Discussion'.....??!!?? And i would have ticked that one...

ysabella

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:07am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
All the forum discussions that are talking about the forum itself. They are discussions about discussion, and whether our discussions are good enough, etc.

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:08am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
I think that's the idea - no-one know what the others are so we all just go for the lets talk about Stephen Fry one

Aoibheann

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:11am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Ohh right....

So its like.. Thinking about thinking...?

Discussing about discussing?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:15am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
I am not going to vote as I dont agree with any of them lol...
I believe that SOME or maybe ONE meta discussion is healthy and needed in order to review stuff but that constant ones are a waste of time.

ysabella

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 7:31am Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Huh, I had an "other" option, but it just isn't there. Sorry about that! It just didn't show up!

meekychuppet

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:20pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
It seems that all of this talk of expectations and soforth indicates that many of my esteemed brethren do not know what "forum" means.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 1:59pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
And sound rumbled forth from the back of the cave in which the Chrissus Homeopathicus lay…

“Lo a forum is ‘a place of, or meeting for, public discussion’ (Oxford English Dictionary)”….

And the Cake-gatherers out and about in those parts near the Cave marvelled, cos the Homeopathicus had uttered this helpful interjection into the meta*-discussion from the deepest of deep sleep, and yet still lay untroubled in the land of dreams.

So the Cake-gatherers left cakes at the mouth of the cave – both cup-cakes and muffins – in hope that the creature would again in the future speak from the words of the Dictionary.

*meta – in this sense: ‘of a higher or second-order kind’ (OED); i.e. second-order is a discussion about discussion itself, or thinking about thinking (or reflecting) – just as you say, Aoibheann.

The founder of Honda, Soicheiro Honda, described success as the experiencing of three things that are necessary to achieve that success – failure, determination, and reflection.

Chris

Jack

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 2:16pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Stephen Fry discussion here.
Heated debates here.
Let's move on.

meekychuppet

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 3:25pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Heated debates here.
Let's move on.

One of the most beautiful elements of our free society is the fact that you can huff and puff until your head explodes and I will still do what I want anyway.

Let's move on.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 3:38pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Excuse me

Heated debates here
Let's move on.

Can I ask why I need to ‘move on’ from where I am perfectly happy listening to everybody else’s views about this idea of yours that ‘Something has to happen about the way people are in this forum – The Big Idea’?

I completely subscribe to the idea of Ysabella’s meta-analysis – a step back in a more focussed way, to reflect on the real feelings people have about how they would like to have this space they are in.

And it is obvious to me that there are some pre-requisites to how we occupy this space provided by Mr. Fry, which ensure that this electronic but eminently sane location on everyone’s computer screen remains, open 24 hours a day, to see what someone else thinks about the things you and I think about.

These are surely –

That what people write is not offensive by common standards, sexist, racist, homophobic, or otherwise discriminatory, and this would encompass private messages, because these entail use of the network in Mr. Fry’s name too.

An empathic view of how Mr. Fry’s perception of communication might be, and an awareness of what actions are likely to act directly against Mr. Fry’s interests.

People who want to tell other people about what they are thinking or feeling or doing, and people who are interested in knowing that.

What makes this arena different from other public spaces is that wonderful tolerance for mental health that exists between people with mental ill-health. The very same exists in psychiatric wards and mental health day centres – the acceptance of the strange and frankly wonderful, the absence of judgementalism.

My view is that people should be their own judges of what is appropriate to put where, within the basic parameters above, and, like everything else in the world, it will find its sustainable level, under the watchful and careful eyes of Stephen Fry, and people like Atari.

Chris

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 3:38pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
Heated debates here.
Let's move on.

I dont think we should have to move to have a "heated debate", it is quite normal and healthy to have one so why stop it here? the only issue is when a debate is no longer a discussion but a slagging match and when the topic of debate is not actually debated - rather it is a repetition of the same point back and forth. then it should be stopped.
I also think that, as much as you are giving an option to members here, it can COME ACROSS like all you want is people to move to your forum or join it aswell....

ClareBear

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 3:46pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
I'm busy thinking about the next "Mass Debate" topic, which will insult and alienate as many people as possible. Possibly that ol' chestnut, the link between religion and politics.

meekychuppet

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 3:49pm Post subject: Meta Forum Discussion (and Poll)
I'm busy thinking about the next "Mass Debate" topic, which will insult and alienate as many people as possible. Possibly that ol' chestnut, the link between religion and politics.

Well, you may be a cunning linguist but I am indeed a mass debater.