Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 2:12pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Michael Palin's series New Europe starts this Sunday on BBC1 at 9.00pm. It's a 6-episode journey around Eastern Europe. The accompanying book came out just yesterday. I've been looking forward to this new series. I always enjoy Michael Palin's travel books and series.

Assuming direct control...

Red Raven

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:19pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
I love that man! I would love to travel with him! I can't wait to see it but I don't know if I'll be able to. I don't have TV and I don't have BBC:(

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:28pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
A dvd is coming out in region 2. I don't know if they release his series in region 1. I've looked on Amazon.com and they have some of his series in region 1 including Himalaya so it's a possibility they might release New Europe.

Red Raven

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:48pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
A dvd is coming out in region 2. I don't know if they release his series in region 1. I've looked on Amazon.com and they have some of his series in region 1 including Himalaya so it's a possibility they might release New Europe.

I have a program on my computer that lets me watch region 2 stuffs. I had to get it when I bought Monty Python and the Holy Grail at Gatwick airport last December.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 4:55pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
That's great. You can order the dvd when it comes out 22nd October.

Red Raven

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 5:08pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
That's great. You can order the dvd when it comes out 22nd October.

Yay!

Saturn

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 10:30pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
I can't wait I love Michael Palin!!

ClareBear

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2007 10:55pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
That's nan's b-day present sorted.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 11:22am Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Did anyone else watch the first episode? It was good. It was cool getting to see countries I knew absolutely nothing about. I'd never seen so much as a photograph of those countries. Croatia looked lovely.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 12:35pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Red Raven - when you move to England you won't need to worry about Region 2! You'll be worried about the Region 1 stuff you can't get or play.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 12:41pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Red Raven - when you move to England you won't need to worry about Region 2! You'll be worried about the Region 1 stuff you can't get or play.

Like anime! :'( When a series comes out in Japan it takes years for them to get it in America. Triple that for the UK. If at all.

ClareBear

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 8:07pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
but....Japan's region 2, just in the NTSC colour format instead of PAL

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 21st, 2007 8:09pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
All the anime dvds I've been wanting to get hold of are region 1. I haven't seen any region 2 ones. I can't afford to import from Japan either. I can't even afford to buy j-rock cds. They're such a rip-off at 15 quid for an effing single (and that's importing from America) and 20-60 quid for an album. Would ones from Japan even have English subtitles? I've never heard of people buying anime (in English) from Japan. A lot of people import from America (which is good if you've got a multiregion player) or download fansubs rather than wait for UK release.

ratoutofhell

Posted Sat Sep 22nd, 2007 4:52pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Did anyone else watch the first episode? It was good. It was cool getting to see countries I knew absolutely nothing about. I'd never seen so much as a photograph of those countries. Croatia looked lovely.

It's amazing to think of the mess some of those places were in just a few years ago. Mostar, for example.

I'm especially looking forward to any bits of eastern Germany

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Saturn

Posted Mon Oct 1st, 2007 10:55pm Post subject: Michael Palin - New Europe
Is anyone still watching this??

I love the way he goes to places and meets people none of us ever would, strange, out-of-the way places and wonderfully eccentric people.

He's like everyone's favourite Uncle coming back from holiday and sharing his tales, like an old sea dog regaling you with his wonderful warm, gentle humour and compassion.

I really hope this is not his last series