Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Beldo

Posted Sun Sep 7th, 2008 1:29am Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
As a little addendum to the mock-mourning of the disappearing milkman's whistle, I'd like to share my wonder at the discovery of an operating milkman in the village I've recently moved to.

Not that I've ever seen either him (her?) or the products of their labour: but at 1.15am every weekday, without fail, that nostaligia-inspiring whine of the electric milkfloat draws along the unlit B-road my meagre terrace fronts onto; it lapses momentarily into silence seemingly outside my house, with perhaps the clink of a pinta or two if the night is still enough, before cranking up the variable resistors once again and wending its way out into the village.

I'm rather taken with the romantic notion that I'm hearing some ghostly milkman of (more innocent, whistling, rose-tinted) ages past; certainly, I've never looked out of my window on hearing the signature sound for fear of destroying the illusion of this echo of a bucolic past. But it's nice to know that some things do endure.

The milkman shares no whistle, mind - but perhaps that's quite politic at 1.15 in the morning.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Sep 8th, 2008 10:05am Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
I hadn't realised milkrounds were rare now until this podgram came out. We still have a milkround where we live. They come to our road at 4:00am and there's a few of them on the float delivering the milk rather than just one bloke on his own so they can deliver it all faster.

Assuming direct control...

RichardG

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 12:03pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
I'm probably one of the few people to still have milk delivered to my door.

I've never been aware of my milkman whistling, until today. He came to the door to collect his money. His arrival was marked by a sharp knock and a whistled tune while I fumbled for my keys.

I'm not sure if it brought melody to my day, but it did make me smile. Even though I really wanted him to be the postman, bringing me my parcel from Amazon.

Sidthespid

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 4:17pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
Perhaps your posty had been listening to Stephen

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Sep 12th, 2008 12:07pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
Okey strike that. I've just found out there are two different milkmen working our street one of whom doesn't even use a milkfloat but a normal white van.

All this talk of whistling keeps putting the song Give a little Whistle into my head.

glossyibis

Posted Fri Sep 12th, 2008 2:45pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
I've wondered why the milkman's conveyance is called a milk float. Can someone enlighten me on that?

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Sep 12th, 2008 2:56pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
Fortunately I am not too not British not to be familiar with electric milkfloats - the milkman supplying the Bucks village I used to live in made his round at about 4.30am - one could have set one´s alarm clock by him X-D

Having milk in bottles and yoghurt delivered to your doorstep is a lovely thing to have (I miss it... ) - and they were tastier than what you can buy in the shops, don´t ask me why... perhaps just my imagination...

glossyibis

Posted Fri Sep 12th, 2008 5:08pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
I remember our milkman, Mr. Mills. He arrived once or twice a week in a truck that smelled of a mixture of refrigeration and exhaust. It sounds gagsome in the describing of it, but it was oddly comforting. Mr. Mills didn't whistle that I can recall.

My knowledge of milkfloats is limited to my observations of Open All Hours reruns.

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

Soph

Posted Sat Oct 4th, 2008 10:32am Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
I'm rather pleased that for once I'm not 'too young to remember,' because I do remember milk floats.
The ultimate slow-mobile, as they were extremely slow and very suited to early mornings. We don't get them anymore in our area, which is a shame. I agree I do think milk from the milkman was yummier than milk you buy from dull frigeration systems in shops. I remember when I were a child, the winter mornings were I'd go out and collect the freezing cold bottles from our doorstep. : ] Thier's just something so comforting about it.

Photobucket

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Oct 6th, 2008 8:34am Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
Since this topic was first brought up I've since discovered a couple more milk rounds in my area. Clearly we've stolen the rest of the country's milkmen!

Louchocolate

Posted Wed Oct 8th, 2008 5:04pm Post subject: Milkman's Whistle
Maybe they can teach the children to whistle in schools.
As a child I not only heard the milkman but my dad always whistled a good old tune.
I can not whistle a good old tune, but will try.
First learn to whistle, then learn a good old tune.
This could be a whole new craze!!!!!!!!!!!!!