Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 3:20pm Post subject: MirrorMask
How many people have seen MirrorMask? It's a Jim Henson film by Neil Gaiman and David McKean.

It's about a girl called Helena whose parents run a circus. She's fed up ofher life and wants to live in the 'real world'. She argues with her mum and says that she wishes she would die. Unfortunatly her mum then falls seriously ill. One night Helena wakes up and goes outside and ends up in a fantasy world.

It's an amazing film, very beautiful to look at. It's for people who were into the other Jim Henson fantasy films Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, though this film uses amazing cgi effects that resembles artwork rather than puppets. Among my favourite scenes are the floating giants and the monkeybirds.

Stephen Fry is in this film but in a small part. He is the Librarian (you can buy mini-figures of this character along with several others) which is a cgi character made out of books and shapes with the only visible part of Stephen being his mouth on a panel on the Librarian's face. There are a few other recognisable faces/voices from the world of comedy including Rob Brydon who plays Helena's dad and the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Light, Robert Llewllyn who plays a sphinx with riddles and Lenny Henry who is the voice of some guards that capture Helena. I didn't even know any of these people (Stephen included) were going to be in the film when I went to see it so I was pleasantly surprised. It's worth seeing this film if you love fantasy.

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 7:33pm Post subject: MirrorMask
I tried watching it, I really did. But it was too precious and self-involved. Gaiman often crosses the line between what's really exciting, dark and mysterious and what desperately tries to seem so.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 7:43pm Post subject: MirrorMask
What do you mean by "too precious"?

AxmxZ

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 2:31am Post subject: MirrorMask
I mean, it was very much in love with imagery for its own sake instead of using the imagery to tell a good story. The story was basically a showcase for "OMG look at all this teh pretty gothic shit!!"

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 11:30am Post subject: MirrorMask
That's what I liked about it. It was showcasing some damn fine art and graphics. I was delighted to see something so beautiful and amazing. I wish there were more films that went to this effort to look so good. The story really appealed to me as well. It's the kind of story I enjoy, about a young girl growing up and dealing with it in this fantasy world much in the same way it happens in Labyrinth and Drop Dead Fred (in that case the fantasy coming into Lizzie's world in the form of an imaginary friend). It's the central character that's the important part and then everything else is a sequence of events that she must go through like in Alice ni Wonderland. I love it when films like this can be interpreted as being entirely constructs of the mind or you can just watch them as straight fantasies, whatever your mood takes a fancy to. Even Bedazzled (another brilliant film) can be interpreted in that way - that Spiggot is a product of a nervous breakdown.

ClareBear

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 5:54pm Post subject: MirrorMask
Much as I liked Mirrormask, I preferred Pan's Labyrinth. (there's a word I always screw up the spelling on.)

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 9:21pm Post subject: MirrorMask
Pan's Labyrinth was brilliant too. It was very well done and very dark. It had the feel of the old gorey fairytales before Disney sugarcoated them. Pan's Labyrinth resembles more what I was hoping Terry Gilliam's Brothers Grimm was going to be like. Brothers Grimm was good but not Gilliam's best work sadly. It had so much potential but you can tell there were conflicts going on between him and the company. It feels like it held back often and instead chucked silly light-hearted moments and jokes that spoiled the twisted fairytale feel the film should have had.

Phlizz

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 11:07pm Post subject: MirrorMask
Oh wow - I just watched the film - fantastic! I've never liked clowns - I just know i'm going to have bad dreams about them tonight now...

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 11:15pm Post subject: MirrorMask
Pretty - I love this scene. I love the clockwork robots.

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 18th, 2007 9:34am Post subject: MirrorMask
I thought it was a little bit Alice in Wonderlandy, which was neat

Betsie

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 11:25pm Post subject: MirrorMask
I get where you're coming from, AxmxZ. Some films TOTALLY overdo it (the new Star Wars films, for example). But I really enjoyed Mirrormask. I loved all the metaphors and imagery, and really liked the conflict between mom and daughter. How many of us have fought with someone we love, and been afraid of not getting a chance to fix it? And the young star was wonderful. She really reminded me of Helena Bonham Carter.

And Stephen really gets appropriate roles, does he not?

Zefla

Posted Tue Jun 5th, 2007 12:23am Post subject: MirrorMask
Dave McKean blamed the gothic stuff on Neil. He said it was because he(neil) wrote in the dark in the attic of the Jim Henson house. Yes thats were it was written. And there was a lovely renaissance picture on the wall that had a cavalier and his ladyfriend in it and if you looked closely it was actually Miss Piggy and Kermit. The music with the robots was put in as they couldn't find any music to suit the scene and that had been playing on the radio for about 5 days straight.

Yes I'm sad and went to the preview at the BFI in London.....

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jun 5th, 2007 1:44pm Post subject: MirrorMask
The gothic imagery is one of the film's many good points. They did a good job I wouldn't blame anyone!

It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland too Phlizz. I like stories like them and Labyrinth. The character is going on a journey and everything that happens is really episodic and there isn't a major plot or anything but that doesn't matter because it's about the character growing.