Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

joan

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 12:54pm Post subject: Misusing our language
I found this on another forum:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/11/cab_innit/

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

Even if the story is a bit exaggerated, you have to worry, don't you?

Our language started with the Friesians about a millenium and a half ago,we infused it with Norman French, embelished it over the years with a lot of help from Chaucer and later Shakespeare, simplified the grammar, pinched loads more foreign words during colonial times, and even more since the advent of fast global communications..........................then, with all the richness of our language available to us all, people have to treat it like THAT.

It is the linguistic equivalent of passing up a seven course gourmet meal in favour of a salmonella infested hot dog.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 4:56pm Post subject: Misusing our language
X-D X-D X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ClareBear

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 5:02pm Post subject: Misusing our language
What a fucktard.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Apr 13th, 2008 5:07pm Post subject: Misusing our language
X-D X-D X-D That's what you get for butchering the language and being lazy. That's what it is half the time. A lot of kids now even write their exams (inc. English) in text speak and wonder why they fail.

Assuming direct control...

Bishop of Attleborough

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 7:54am Post subject: Misusing our language
While this story would be pretty shocking if true, I'm just not prepared to believe it is, just because of this line in the original article:According to the Daily Mail, [...]Frankly, the British tabloid press (and let's face it, the Mail is a tabloid in spite of its pretensions) have been known never to let facts get in the way of a good story, and this sounds like one of those instances.

"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

MrEvans

Posted Fri May 2nd, 2008 11:13pm Post subject: Misusing our language
I saw an image recently that summed this up rather well:

Well, I can't find it, but it went along the lines of "IM ON UR INTERNETZ, DEGRADIN UR LANGUAGE WIT MY IGNORANCE AND APATHY". I think that nicely sums this up.

ratoutofhell

Posted Sat May 3rd, 2008 1:21pm Post subject: Misusing our language

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 6:26am Post subject: Misusing our language
Rats get such bad press.

ClareBear

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 8:30am Post subject: Misusing our language

ratoutofhell

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 9:14am Post subject: Misusing our language
Rats get such bad press.

True. But I'll save that for a separate rant.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Panja

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 6:45pm Post subject: Misusing our language
I love that rat one and the last cat one X-D

IanG

Posted Wed Jul 9th, 2008 9:58pm Post subject: Misusing our language
The point of the story is obviously one of clarity, and it really grieves me to agree with anything in the Daily Mail, but I find the poor standard of English spoken today very annoying.
It is nothing to do with accents, dialects or slang. It's because any acknowledgment of context and clarity seems to be ignored.
While we're on the subject of English. Does anyone else find the innapropriate use of the reflexive pronoun annoying. I can't help it, it sets my teeth on edge everytime I hear it!

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Jul 9th, 2008 10:58pm Post subject: Misusing our language
I'm not particularly bothered by it myself.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Red Raven

Posted Thu Jul 10th, 2008 3:16am Post subject: Misusing our language
I'm not particularly bothered by it myself.

X-D

IanG

Posted Thu Jul 10th, 2008 5:59pm Post subject: Misusing our language
Yes, very good...even though your usage was entirely appropriate.