Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RosieFbxAK

Posted Thu Dec 29th, 2011 10:31am Post subject: MN & WI aren't as cold as you think Mr. Fry ;)

I don't have cable TV, or any TV reception for that matter, so I'm watching this series on Netflix. So far I've made it almost to the end of Episode 3 and had to seriously laugh out loud when you talked about how cold it was in MN "-27C" and again laughed heartily when you got to WI talking about the deserted streets and the heated walkways between buildings.

Now... I know you'll make it to Alaska in the last episode, but I hope to GOD you made it to REAL Alaska! Not just any-city-USA aka Anchorage. I live in Fairbanks, in Interior, Alaska. Where Celsius & Fahrenheit become equals several times a year, often for several days at a time. Our streets are not deserted and we do not have heated walkways between buildings. People here function normally all year 'round.

Now I'll go back to finish watching the rest of the series. I do hope you can revisit Alaska some day; experience our 24hr light 80°F/27°C summer days as well as our mostly dark -40°F/-40°C winter nights; it's well worth the trip. Nothing like a midnight tee-time in June or sitting in the hot springs in December w/ the Aurora Borealis
dancing above your head!

Cheers,
~Rosie

RosieFbxAK

Posted Thu Dec 29th, 2011 1:42pm Post subject: MN & WI aren't as cold as you think Mr. Fry ;)

Ohhhh I am SO glad you visited the southern coast AND went to Barrow on your visit to Alaska. It was never said what time of year you visited but since it was light out and it was said it would stay light until fall, and you were there as they were whaling and the sea ice began to break up... I'm guessing it was around June?

I didn't see you eat anything while you were here! You didn't try any caribou? Or moose? Or muskox? Or whale?! I've never had whale myself... I'm a white chick from Michigan, but the other wild game is fantastic. Regardless - I do hope you can return some day and visit several other of the vastly different places in Alaska. It's SO big that it's different everywhere you go.