Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jennifer Coffey

Posted Wed Jul 28th, 2010 7:33pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

Moab is my Washpot moved me to the point of review, which, while not apporpriate for reprinting here, does in part state:

"Stephen Fry...radiates in a light of his own making, his tender-hearted nature rendering him one of the finest individuals with whom I have ever spent seven magical and heartbreaking nights, laughing and crying and wondering throughout why he also, by times and along with that exuberance, hates himself so."

I was so disheartened, having completed the book late last night, that I have come looking for him online. What a thrill to read that plans for more autobiographical detail are in the works.

I have no idea what I'm going to read now. Nothing seems to compare.

Jennifer Coffey

CClear

Posted Sun Aug 8th, 2010 10:01pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I write as a female suffering with depression (undiagnosed sadly to date) I do have a law degree but simply read Stephen's book because I love him on the TV and my boyfriend bought it for me. I have laughed and cried. It is one of the most beautiful autobiographies I have read. Reading some of your comments makes me think you have totally missed the some (not all of you).

Go enjoy life and get out of your arses - Jennifer Coffey - I am going to buy everything he has written xx

AC

Posted Mon Aug 9th, 2010 7:08am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I've found since I finished reading Moab back in the spring that I think about it an awful lot. It is so wonderfully written and funny and honest and heartbreaking all at once. I was shocked at how much Stephen reminded me of myself--not in all ways, of course, but in enough that it really struck me. It's hard to explain (maybe I'll find the words one day), but somehow I feel like I'm not quite the same person after reading this book that I was before reading it.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 12th, 2010 2:29pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

Mengqi bitan said:
Hi everyone, just registered. Random question here, but Stephen mentions somewhere in Moab a book about what I think was the art of card tricks and misdirection, but I cant remember what it was and cant now find it anywhere in the book. Annoying. Does anyone happen to know what it was?

I'm in the middle of re-reading it and haven't found it yet. Will let you know as soon as I do

He mentions it more than once. First time I think was the bit where he he passed the fag test at Uppingham (i.e. questions about things like the chocolate block) and the guy who was testing him treated him to a huge slap-up meal of eggs, sausages and chips. Because he didn't like chips and the guy was going to sit there watching him eat every last bit he used magic trick techniques to trick him and hide the chips in a napkin on his lap. He later mentions it again in regard to stealing I think.

I've re-read Moab again and it still holds a special place for me. here were moments that made me laugh, moments of great sadness and moments I could empathise with. I am eagerly anticipating the next one. I wonder if it will just look at the following twenty years and break off again and or go right up until the present day? Maybe if it was another twenty year chunk he could then write a third one of the next twenty?

Assuming direct control...

paigetheoracle

Posted Thu Sep 16th, 2010 7:43pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I have never read this book but I was in the same hostel as Mr Fry and wondered if this or his new book, covered his time at Kings Lynn College of Arts and Technology?

welshconnection

Posted Mon Oct 18th, 2010 11:46am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I have always considered myself a fan of stephen fry and his ramblings. I own all of his books, however until last week the only one which I had read was The Fry Chronicles. "Some fan" you might say, but whether it was for fear of disliking what I read or because of a 'too cool for school' attitude; believing I didn't have time to read, I just hadn't turned a single page of the pristine library gathering dust on my shelves.

I do however own an iPod; more battered and fed up of the same old music than Mr Fry's collection of hardware i'm sure but still enough space in the memory for an audiobook.

I downloaded MIMW and shut myself away with earphones on buses, trains and park benches, listening to the words from the horse's mouth (never an insult intended).

Loved it! what else is there to say? made me feel happy to be alive (which is actually no exaggeration) made me realise that when life throws you lemons just keep making lemonade. and even if you get sick of lemonade yourself, someone out there is aways in need of refreshment.

Thank you

If there is a God, then I've a bone to pick with him

dexter vandango

Posted Thu Dec 2nd, 2010 4:06pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

Just begun listening to the audio version of Moab.

Stephen loves, adores the English language with the same relish that.. oh.. Roman Polanski might evidence when he's screening Shirley Temple movies in the privacy of his flat in Paris.

Stephen, however, chooses to share his passion with us, for which we all grateful.

He even shares some stories scatological from his early school days.

I believe I have a topper.

In 1954, when I was 5 years old, I was dropped off at kindergarten by my mother. At the time, our small Rocky Mountain town of Rock Springs, Wyoming hadn't yet received TV broadcasting, so as a 5 year old I had only heard about schools but had never seen the insides of one as we had no TV and I had never been to the movies. So all I knew was that schools were places kids learned to read and write.

On the first day I scrambled to find a seat next to Robert Zotti, a boy from down the block who I knew vaguely. We sat together at an old-fashioned for-even-then 2-person bench desk with a tilt-up top that you could put your books under, and a hole on the top for a bottle of ink.

After listening to our new teacher for a few minutes I sensed that my bench mate, Robert was getting antsy and I whispered "What's the matter?"

He hissed back in some discomfort, "I have to go to the toilet."

We had no idea that schools had toilets as we had only used the ones at home and we didn't think to ask as everything was so foreign and overwhelming.

After about 20 more minutes of squirming and sweating I noticed my bench-mate was now clenching and making soft grunting sounds. Then he surreptitiously reached into the back of his pants, scooped something out, raised the desk top slightly and deposited the contents of his hand in the desk.

Then he whispered to me as he pointed to a desk across the room, "Tomorrow we sit over there.."

That was my first day of school and I often wonder whatever became of Robert Zotti.

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Sun Apr 10th, 2011 9:18am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I recently finished "Moab is my Washpot".

And I think it's the best Stephen Fry book I have read so far.
Yes, his novels are wonderful and "The Liar" pretty much reads a lot like the autobiography since there are many parallels.
But, like "Making history", this one touched me very often and deeply.
Fry talks to the reader about his childhood, life in schools, his teenage years and love in an exciting and affecting way.

I think - like everyone who read this book - I could spot some similarities between mine and Fry's youth: problems with school grades, problems with other pupils, adaptive difficulties, the fear of a parent (in my case it's the mother), suicidal intents, the feeling of being a loser after not getting a proper job right now (I could sing an opera about that)...
...which made me even more understand, of course.
You would hardly think this kid would turn out to be THE Stephen Fry we know today (not meant to be an insult!). This makes the stories even more interesting.

Thumbs up, it's another excellent and remarkable autobiography among my books I would read a second time

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

Mycroft-The-Meddler

Posted Mon May 2nd, 2011 3:58pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

Because I haven't said anything about it yet, I feel I must.

To sum it all up: It's a fantastic book.
I read it around a year ago, when I was 14/15. (I know, I know. I'm much later than everyone else!) I could really relate to it, and it's written in such a beautifully personal way. It made me feel as if I could become successful, without being what I think everyone describes as 'normal'. Thank you, Mr Fry for giving me a lovely read that is currently nestling gently between some Wodehouse and some le Carre.

cousin_jack

Posted Wed May 18th, 2011 5:36pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I'm doing this backwards. 'Chronicles' for Christmas led me to 'moab' which I borroowed from the local liby.
Discussing songs in the chapter 'Falling in', Stephen asks about the comic song 'Ballad of Bethnal Green' and hopes someone will tell him who did it. My nomination for this is Paddy Roberts who was a middle aged baldish man who played the piano with a ciggy in one hand and a pint of beer perched on the corner of his old upright. He sang hundreds of such songs through the late fifties, early sixties. I have an EP of his called 'Paddy Roberts strikes again' which contains 'The Belle of Barking Creek', 'Tattooed Lady', ( not the Groucho Marx one) 'I love Mary', and 'Why did it all begin'. The humour is dry and saucy. An aunt of mine had a full LP called 'Strictly for Grown ups', long since lost. There are very few references to him nowadays which is a pity. I would love to hear more of his stuff.
I still don't have a clue what the Moab quotation is all about!

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Sat Jun 4th, 2011 4:04pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I just started listening to Moab a few weeks ago after workouts. The philosophical parts are great to just zen out. Alan Watts is also fun for this. The Moth readings too, which I think are also podcasts. I wish I had known of Fry's writing before, though I don't think it would have helped. Sometimes the past is corded off with good reason, and only two settings of "bad" and "much worse." The good always gets taken for granted. Listing to someone insightful share all is a treat. Even if I had been roundly educated I'd have missed a lot and appreciated less. But it's always great to be reminded there are so many good artists and writers who have an amazing take on philosophy and art. I get so busy but I'm glad I took the time to listen and check out this forum. Happy Hunting!

april101

Posted Sat Oct 15th, 2011 5:46pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

I have read lots of books and found them to be interesting. but Steven fry as won me over by is charm and skill. I would compare his writing to that of late Charles dickens or to a musical masterpiece. after reading his autobiography I was tempted to read more so pick Moab is my washpot, that will become my favorite book for a long time and just ordered more can't get enough of this charming graceful man. I like his intelligence his humor and frankness. the most thing that appeals to me is his bravery I don't think that I have ever been brave like this and I want to.
I liked moab is my washpot, because it speaks to me a lot and helps me to deal with issues in my own life.how free I feel when reading it.but really i believe Steven fry as opened a new door to me in the reading world and I seam to love it more and want to read more i also love is books because of the good grammar and English, I think i would be able to write better too as I read.can't wait.I already have a great passion for learning, but not very good writing skills.I wish that he would write something for the adult that's learning in English and maths, I am so desperate to learn .