Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Oct 17th, 2006 11:49pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
I'd read a whole Fry book if it were nothing but a string of orgies involving him, Emma Thompson and Hugh Laurie...

or just him and Hugh

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Oct 18th, 2006 1:16am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
I'd read a whole Fry book if it were nothing but a string of orgies involving him, Emma Thompson and Hugh Laurie...

or just him and Hugh

I smell a bestseller. Dibs on the movie rights!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Oct 18th, 2006 3:44am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

or just him and Hugh

I smell a bestseller. Dibs on the movie rights!

Elijah Wood can play young Laurie. On stilts. And, let's see, who can play young Stephen... Josh Harnett? He's a bit on the short side, though - they'll have to put lifts in his shoes.

Man, people who aren't Hugh and Stephen are short, aren't they?..

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Oct 18th, 2006 4:17am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
Elijah Wood can play young Laurie.

That could work.

Or . . .

I could play young Laurie and Stephen can be himself. We'll use CGI to turn him into a beanpole again.

Man, people who aren't Hugh and Stephen are short, aren't they?..

Ha, so true. I'm willing to rise to the occasion, though.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ClareBear

Posted Wed Oct 18th, 2006 8:22am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
I'm sure you are.

friend_of_the_flowers

Posted Wed Oct 25th, 2006 2:41pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
Oof!

Can I play Emma Thompson?
Or Natalie Portman.
Or something.

Sebastian Flyte

Posted Thu Oct 26th, 2006 1:01pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
See, this partly answers one of the questions which struck me when reading Moab: "What would a young reader approximately the age of the narrated Stephen gain from this book? Would he/she like it?"

I never conceived it as a book exclusively for grown-ups, but as one that must appeal especially to growing-up readers who feel insecure and adventurous and desperate and energetic about their lives themselves. It's fascinating to read that it actually hit your frequency of vibration and excited a resonance in you.

Well, I enjoyed it so much I now have memories of it that make me blush. I also enjoyed it from a less filthy perspective, a wonderful, insightful, honest book that actually helped me sort out several things that were unsorted and not the sort of things that you want to ask yor Dad about...so in some ways it was educational too.

jellybeans

Posted Fri Oct 27th, 2006 5:34pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
i read moab is a washpot just recently and truly loved it!! totally unlike anything that id ever read (as im a 16 year old girl..) but i thought it was ace!

Canzonett

Posted Fri Oct 27th, 2006 5:45pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
Welcome to the club of Moab lovers, jellybeans! What is it that makes this book such an unusual reading for you? Why did you like it? What did you expect from it when you started reading?

Typsee

Posted Wed Nov 1st, 2006 4:03pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
i stumbled across the book at college, and im only at page..67? so not too far in yet, but i love the way he writes, and how the story wanders off but stil keeping some kind of relevance. im only 16 and im probably missing lots out but i look forward to reading the rest. and if need be read it again a few more times. its cheered me up anyways
x

stomper4x4

Posted Sun Nov 5th, 2006 3:59am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
New to the form and figured I'd start here.

I read Moab a bit less than a year ago. I was transfixed the entire time, forcing my friends to listen to me read parts of it, and reading it well into the night. The part that impacted me the most was the "Tone Dumb" part. I got the chills when I read it, because that's exactly how I feel about it. I LOVE music so much, I can't think of a day in the past 5 years in which there wasn't a song stuck in my head, and I couldn't produce two notes on key if my life depended upon it. Stephen expressed the frustration of this (as well as many other things) so well in Moab.

I felt like this book was a brave step. It exposed something I didn't know much about (being an American) to the entire world and it didn't apologize for it. I hope Stephen felt purged of some demons having written it.

Also, what's this I hear of strip chess with Hugh?

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Nov 5th, 2006 11:00am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
New to the form and figured I'd start here.

I read Moab a bit less than a year ago. I was transfixed the entire time, forcing my friends to listen to me read parts of it, and reading it well into the night. The part that impacted me the most was the "Tone Dumb" part. I got the chills when I read it, because that's exactly how I feel about it. I LOVE music so much, I can't think of a day in the past 5 years in which there wasn't a song stuck in my head, and I couldn't produce two notes on key if my life depended upon it. Stephen expressed the frustration of this (as well as many other things) so well in Moab.

That´s exactly the part which moved me the most, too, because these are the most beautiful and saddest words that have ever been written about music and really had an impact on me.
I`m writing this as one who loves music dearly and deeply and couldn´t imagine a life without it. And I call myself very very lucky that I can sing a bit and play some instruments. I`ve never been the singer and player I´d have wished to be but I sang in concerts, church, at friends´ weddings and birthdays. Due to health problems I had to give up my singing (and playing) activities which are now limited to rare private occasions. So I know about both joining in and being no longer able to join in (not due to tone dumbness, but still...).
Reading about Fry´s agony about loving music probably even more than I do and not being able to join in made me very sad and moved me to tears. He found the most beautiful words to express exactly what I have felt about music and music making all my life.
Now that I´m deprived of most opportunities 'to join in' my love of music has, oddly enough, become even greater and deeper. I think that the love of music is in itself a very precious gift. I met people who might even be musical but who didn´t appreciate neither their talent nor music. I met people who don´t give a damn about music at all and can´t understand why other people rush out to buy CDs, go to concerts, bother to learn instruments, are moved by what they hear or sad because they can´t sing or play an instrument.
It always astonishes me that a basic love of music is not experienced by everyone, that we are not born with it by default. I consider myself gifted with the sheer love of music and am very grateful for it.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Nov 5th, 2006 5:35pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

Also, what's this I hear of strip chess with Hugh?

As Russians sometimes say, "s etogo mesta popodrobnee." ("from this point forwards, let's have more detail.")

stomper4x4

Posted Sun Nov 5th, 2006 8:09pm Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot
Yay! This board is so friendly!

Soupy Twist, I wish I had put more effort into learning the guitar back when my parents were paying for lessons. I doubt I'd be a virtuoso, or even willing to play in front of people, but I would at least be able to produce SOMETHING. So you should be proud of being able to share your music even if it's infrequently.

You're right about appreciation of music being a gift; i know I cherish my gift and seek to improve my listening skills all the time.

AxmxZ, what a tease. And in Russian, no less.

Canzonett

Posted Mon Nov 6th, 2006 12:02am Post subject: Moab Is My Washpot

That´s exactly the part which moved me the most, too, because these are the most beautiful and saddest words that have ever been written about music and really had an impact on me. [...] Now that I´m deprived of most opportunities 'to join in' my love of music has, oddly enough, become even greater and deeper. I think that the love of music is in itself a very precious gift.

Soupy Twist, I couldn't have put it more aptly and beautifully, and I agree wholeheartedly with you and stomper4x4. When love of music reaches such existential dimensions as it obviously does in our cases, not being able to join in and share the music filling your whole self with fellow musicians is a painful, even cruel experience. I remember how I missed the St Matthew Passion two years in a row - once because I was busy writing my M.A. thesis, the second time because I had caught a severe bronchitis. I simply could not endure sitting in the concert hall, just "listening" to my choir.
And I'd love to be able to play the piano, let my fingers dance over the keys and conjure not just melodies, but harmonies, complex patterns and tissues of sounds. I have tried to teach myself a bit, but I am a complete disaster. My fingers won't obey me. And they are too short, anyway. :'(