Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

FairyPenguin

Posted Sun Jun 20th, 2010 4:13pm Post subject: Mondegreens Anyone?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am terrible for hearing something and going "Did he/she just say/sing .......?" Only for everyone to look at me funny and go "No."

A writer named Sylvia Wright apparently wrote an article in 1954 admitting she once mis heard the lyrics of a Scottish folk song.

They sang 'They hae slain the Earl of Moray/ And laid him on the green."

She heard 'They hae slain the Earl Amurray/ And Lady Mondegreen.'

Which is perfectly understandable if you ask me, though from someone who can hear Macy Gray sing 'Though I try to hide it/ It's clear/ I wear goggles when you are not near', that's hardly a great shock.

My daughter's friend whilst listening to Rock the Casbah by The Clash swore blind Strummer was indeed singing, 'Sharif don't like it/ Wash yer dashboard, wash yer dashboard'.

The theme from Flashdance 'Take your pants down/ Make it happen'
Message in a Bottle by The Police 'A year has passed since I broke my nose.' or indeed So Lonely which sounds to me like 'I feel Sue Lawley, Sue Lawley.'

And one of those you had to be there moments whilst discussing our up coming college performance someone said "But Mercutio is the only one who's got ......" And I said "Red, did you just say Mercutio's the only one who's got a trombone?" I never found out what Red actually said because everyone just looked at me then pretended I couldn't possibly have asked such an inane question.

Please feel free to join me in confessing your stupidity at any time.

dylanwoman

Posted Sun Jun 20th, 2010 4:20pm Post subject: Mondegreens Anyone?

I believe Stephen is interested in football. There has been much noise recently about the vuvuzela. May I recommend a brilliant song I found yesterday on youtube, which has a catchy tune, brilliant and almost naughty lyrics, great graphics and altogether puts a different tone (tune) on the entire topic. Produced and performed by the voodoo sellers, enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3XZi_WVS4

zomgmouse

Posted Tue Jun 22nd, 2010 3:45pm Post subject: Mondegreens Anyone?

Some famous examples of mondegreens:
CCR, "Bad Moon Rising": "There's a bathroom on the right."
Hendrix, "Purple Haze": "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."
Tennyson, The Charge of the Light Brigade: "Haffely, gaffely, gaffely, gonward."

Twitter
Sporadically-updated blog

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra
(-- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)

FairyPenguin

Posted Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 11:11am Post subject: Mondegreens Anyone?

zomgmouse said:
Some famous examples of mondegreens:
CCR, "Bad Moon Rising": "There's a bathroom on the right."
Hendrix, "Purple Haze": "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."
Tennyson, The Charge of the Light Brigade: "Haffely, gaffely, gaffely, gonward."

Purple Haze someone has pointed out to me before but I had never noticed Bad Moon Rising. I just sat and laughed til I nearly weed, good thing there's a bathroom on the right.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 7:39pm Post subject: Mondegreens Anyone?

Thin Lizzie's "Killer on the loose again" becomes Gorilla on the roof. And the band whose name evades me at the moment, "Dedicated to the one I'd love" = to the one eyed love.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?