Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Vespertine

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:52am Post subject: Mood Films
DELETED

katysara

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:29pm Post subject: Mood Films
I am sure I must be too sensitive. I can watch a movie that is about, I dunno, golf, or picking-your-nose, and I'll cry. I've seen the ones listed above, except "3 iron." I agree, real tear-jerkers. Girl, Interrupted is one of my favourite films. And I love the book too - it uses language very deftly.

One of the saddest (but good) films ever was The Hours.
Covers manic depression, covers suicide, covers homosexuality, covers HIV and AIDS. Covers a lot. Also a book, also good - but different.

“If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know, only I can understand my condition. You live with the threat; you tell me you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too.”

~ Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) to her husband, in the 2002 film, The Hours. Directed by Stephen Daldry, writing credits to Michael Cunningham (novel) & David Hare (screenplay).

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Saturn

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 2:54pm Post subject: Mood Films
I am sure I must be too sensitive. I can watch a movie that is about, I dunno, golf, or picking-your-nose, and I'll cry. I've seen the ones listed above, except "3 iron." I agree, real tear-jerkers. Girl, Interrupted is one of my favourite films. And I love the book too - it uses language very deftly.

One of the saddest (but good) films ever was The Hours.
Covers manic depression, covers suicide, covers homosexuality, covers HIV and AIDS. Covers a lot. Also a book, also good - but different.

“If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know, only I can understand my condition. You live with the threat; you tell me you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too.”

~ Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) to her husband, in the 2002 film, The Hours. Directed by Stephen Daldry, writing credits to Michael Cunningham (novel) & David Hare (screenplay).

I used to watch that film all the time, and I've read the book too.

I couldn't now, it would destroy me it's way too close to the knuckle.

katysara

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 5:43pm Post subject: Mood Films
I used to watch that film all the time, and I've read the book too. I couldn't now, it would destroy me it's way too close to the knuckle.

Me too right now. I have an eerie number of similarities to Virginia Woolf too. We even share the same birthday.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Saturn

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 9:58pm Post subject: Mood Films
Spoooky.

You should read the original source novel Mrs Dalloway as well, it's not quite as depressing.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:29pm Post subject: Mood Films
a year of thirteen moons is really depressing.
it's good...
but why would i tell you guys this? i don't want you to have to watch it...

Saturn

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:33pm Post subject: Mood Films
This thread is turning into

Movies to slit your wrists by....

is that idea?

Maybe that's not such a good idea.

how about Movies NOT to watch when you;re feeling desperate...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:50pm Post subject: Mood Films
it WOULD BE useful.
last winter i found myself trying to rent movies and through some cruel joke the universe was playing, characters were constantly referring to suicide or attempting it!!
that's when i started watching jeeves and wooster. i realized after two episodes that it was pretty safe.
and that is when i started watching other stephen fry things.
the end.

Vespertine

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:52pm Post subject: Mood Films
Sorry.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 11:56pm Post subject: Mood Films
Sorry.

oh, hey, don't worry or delete it.
i do think it would be useful.
maybe we're not sure what types of movies you are looking for?
i'm sorry. :-//

Vespertine

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 12:14am Post subject: Mood Films
No it's fine. It was a bad idea. Like everything that crawls out of my head lol.

Forget about it.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 12:45am Post subject: Mood Films
hey, you have a GREAT head.

it's obvious we all identify with these movies a lot... even though i said year of thirteen moons is depressing, i also got a strange sense of comfort in watching it. i knew what i was in for.

renting movies you expect to be FUNNY and getting a bridge jumper, now that is unexpected.

i remember a while back that when we were talking about music, some people really wanted and needed sad music they could identify with, while others listened to pop and dance stuff to distract themselves. i have needed both ...

what are you like as far as that goes, randi? do you feel comforted by art, music, and film that has deep and strong emotion?

Vespertine

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 1:07am Post subject: Mood Films
hey, you have a GREAT head.

it's obvious we all identify with these movies a lot... even though i said year of thirteen moons is depressing, i also got a strange sense of comfort in watching it. i knew what i was in for.

renting movies you expect to be FUNNY and getting a bridge jumper, now that is unexpected.

i remember a while back that when we were talking about music, some people really wanted and needed sad music they could identify with, while others listened to pop and dance stuff to distract themselves. i have needed both ...

what are you like as far as that goes, randi? do you feel comforted by art, music, and film that has deep and strong emotion?

Thank You Banjo :-//

Yes, I need both sometimes. When I'm REALLY down I don't listen to anything I just hide. But when im mildly down I do use film, art and music to influence me.

I'm an artist myself so I use that a lot to get my feelings out. Although I'm having an artist block at the moment as I think it's refered to so thats probably why I'm a bit paranoid.

Do you like art?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 2:37am Post subject: Mood Films
i'm a painter, and i also like reading and watching films. i'm trying to learn more about poetry right now. i love museums and art history books.

and yeah... blocks come. sometimes it's not really a "block" so much as a time to take in new things... new info and new experiences. sometimes i panic when i haven't been constantly working. even when i am having the run-of-the-mill problem with a painting, i get REALLY sensitive. so i think i get what you mean about feeling paranoid. it's totally natural for a lot of creative people to need time to soak things in, stare at the wall, or research something. it doesn't mean your creativity is going to atrophy.

what kind of art do you like to do?

(i thought you might mean visual art, though maybe not?)

Saturn

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 2:26pm Post subject: Mood Films
A film I think which isn't too downbeat but which deals very well with mental health issues is Proof starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Anthony Hopkins and Jake whatshisnameIcan'tspellitproperlyBrokebackMountaindude...

One of the few films that shows someone actually suffering from depression and doesn't go over the top.

A bit of a weepie, but not too much, but then I cry easily at films :-// :-// :-//

Check it out people.