Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Vespertine

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:35am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
I was wondering what music you play if you're feeling down?

These are some of mine. Post yours! If you can, link the songs from YouTube so others can hear them.

WARNING - some of the music in here is bound to be very depressing, so please don't listen if you're in a good mood. I don't want to be responsible for sparking anyone off!

Lamb - Stronger

Lamb - Please

Comtine D'un Autre Ete

The Piano - theme music

Old Boy Theme - look who's talking

I don't want to take them all up so it's your go!

shatzi

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 3:14am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Anyone have the old computer game Myst, the first one? I had a deluxe package with a music cd, music from the game. Some of it was depressing, I would play it when I wanted to get into a bizarre mood.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 5:03am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
i know sometimes sad music can be cathartic, but sometimes i have to shake things up and try listening to other things to get my mind off my emotions. over the winter i listened to the newest arcade fire album over and over and over. all the images seemed to echo all of the thoughts i had and when i bought it, i thought, "this is so wonderful"... but eventually i had to stop listening to it because it would send a good day downhill fast!!

there is a thread for music (a few pages in by now) called "a list of music for all of us" where pete snelling posted some great stuff about music and how it triggers certain emotions and memories. check it out.
http://stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1342

NHStress

Posted Thu Oct 18th, 2007 9:59am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive

Genesis - Duke ( hows that for an old album), I always feel that it was written with alot of anger and frustration

Particularly the tracks
Guide Vocal-

"I am the one who guided you this far,
All you know and all you feel.
Nobody must know my name
For nobody would understand,
And you kill what you fear.

I call you for I must leave,
You're on your own until the end.
There was a choice but now it's gone,
I said you wouldn't understand,
Take what's yours and be damned."

And

Heat Haze (off the same Album"

"The trees and I are shaken by the same wind but whereas
The trees will lose their withered leaves,
I just can't seem to let them loose.
And they can't refresh me those hot winds of the south.
I feel like an alien, a stranger in an alien place."

To steal a quote and paraphrase it from "moab" ----

"This has at times been the bass line to the disco soundtrack of my life"

Vespertine

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 3:02am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive

Genesis - Duke ( hows that for an old album), I always feel that it was written with alot of anger and frustration

I do like Genesis but I can't stand Phil Collins. Whiney little bitch X-D

greentree

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 6:10pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
I made a whole tape of what I called 'scratchy music' to play when feeling low. I like music that feels like it's 'scratching' the inside of my head. Mainly tends to be Radiohead ('electioneering' in particular) punctuated with Joni Mitchell. It's not so much the lyrics as the overall 'noise' that works for me.

No sig.

Vespertine

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 6:48pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
I made a whole tape of what I called 'scratchy music' to play when feeling low. I like music that feels like it's 'scratching' the inside of my head. Mainly tends to be Radiohead ('electioneering' in particular) punctuated with Joni Mitchell. It's not so much the lyrics as the overall 'noise' that works for me.

Radiohead often makes me want to slit my wrists...but not in the same way as you. X-D

Saturn

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 10:48pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Listen to Iron maiden very loud when you're depressed!!!

That's what I'm doing now - feel the rage slip away!

filliamhmuffin

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 8:26am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Hell yeah, Iron Maiden. Definitely one of my favorites. Oddly enough, Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives & Sevens is another. That's what's caressing the ol' brain waves into contentment at the moment.

Vespertine

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 3:21pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Iron Maiden are wonderful! But I wouldn't listen to them when depressed, Megadeth definately get to me when I'm depressed. They help get aaaalll the anger out!

trouser material

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 6:15pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Devin Townsend's Infinity album. Its total headfuck and sends you over the edge. I'm not sure if i recommend it, but it works for me, take a dive for the worse to reach the better, maybe.

Catt_H

Posted Sun May 18th, 2008 5:22pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
i tend to listen to something like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit or Funeral for a Friend if im feeling low...
but then again sometimes i'll do an opposite on myself and put on some trance to see if i can cheer myself up rather than depress someone else by approaching them.

Anything with a lot of drums and sad lyrics will be fitting to accompany me on a bad day/week

Shyamz

Posted Tue Jul 8th, 2008 6:58pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
I just tried linking the videos and fanfids from Beck's "Sea Change" album on Youtube, as it's the most incredible album of sadness, but I was made to log in again when I tried to post it and lost it all.

Can't be bothered doing all that again, it'll take ages. But there's a clips feature on Amazon which let's you hear all the tracks from the european release of the album-even if it is only samples.

At least here the tracks aren't accompanied by odd fanvids I suppose.
(I felt a bit odd about using an Amazon link before, as I didn't want to come across as the kind who tries to pressure-sell their favourite albums to people!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006F7S4/ref=.....d_i=468294

Libramum

Posted Sun Jul 20th, 2008 3:24am Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
Hmm there are alot,...but the ones that immediately come to mind are..

* Eminem - Til I Collapse, Soldier, Lose Yourself
* Terri Clark - She Didn't Have Time
* E-Type - Life
* Edwin - Alive
* REM - Everybody Hurts
* Nazareth - Love Hurts
* Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten

Ya, I know they are all over the place, but hey...they have gotten me through a seperation and many exams!

daremo

Posted Sun Jul 20th, 2008 12:23pm Post subject: Mood Music - depressive
The third movement of Gustav Mahler's Symphony no. 1 has always managed to cheer me up.
It's a very haunting song which occasionally slips into this jewish-sounding peasant like dance song, and then promptly slips back.

Also I agree about Beck's Sea Change. I must have listened to it a thousand times.