Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

huggyrei

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 3:22am Post subject: Mornington Crescent
I was frankly incredulous when I failed to find such a popular and interesting strategic game on this forum.

Right - who wants a game? And what rules set should we use?

I feel at the very least we should use one of the subsets allowing for the Fry variation.

elTweeno

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 3:56pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent
I don't think are any rules; the 'rules' thing is mainly to confuse people, because part of the point of the game is that it doesn't have any, as such. They tended to use different rules each week to keep it funny & interesting.

I am, however, very willing to have a game on here....just bear in mind that I only get down to London once a year at the moment, so my tube knowledge is a bit rusty (unless you fancy trying the wider variations, like Europe?)

Maybe we could even try an intergalactic version? X-D

eT

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 4:14pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent
Maybe we could even try an intergalactic version?
X-D let me guess ... travelling with a speed of light bonus of +1,079,252,848.8 km/h?!? excellent idea, but you better take care of black holes & tricky hawking rules! and i think a "star trek economy ticket" would be advisable, too ... GOOD LUCK!

huggyrei

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:50am Post subject: Mornington Crescent
Probably about time I replied...

don't think are any rules
Now you're just talking nonsense! Or perhaps you're deliberately playing a joke on people - I can certainly see how the unitiated might be fooled.

(unless you fancy trying the wider variations, like Europe?)
I must confess to being something of a traiditionalist about the setting. Of course, this is somewhat aided by the fact that, as a dweller in London, I am better acquainted with its geography than I am that of wider Europe. We could play one of the no-bounds variations perhaps - that way we start off in London, put play can be pulled outwards via the Channel Tunnel (I suggest we discount use of ferries as I feel this makes international play far too complicated and open to injterpretation).

Maybe we could even try an intergalactic version
Possibly, although play is somewhat slow due to having to solve special relativity in 4-dimensional vector space, and having to sort out issues with relative timeframes. Also, my supercomputer is being fixed right now. Besides, I think this version was abandoned once someone figured out how to get to a wormhole which leads to Mornington Crescent at the Dawn of time, thus causing all players to win simultaneously (sort of like the opposite of The Game).

It's easier than micro-scale Morning Crescent, though - for that one you have to solve Schrodinger's equation to calculate each move, and there's also the issue that you can't simultaneously know where you are and how fast you're travelling.

wildfire

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 11:40pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent

It's easier than micro-scale Morning Crescent, though - for that one you have to solve Schrodinger's equation to calculate each move, and there's also the issue that you can't simultaneously know where you are and how fast you're travelling.

Who's for a game of Quantum Mornington Cresent, then? We play by using Pauli principle to prevent each other occupying different stations on the same line. Sounds like fun? I'll start at South Kensington, on the Circle line, in an orbital singlet state. I've got nodes on Victoria and Paddington.

Derek Holding-Willey

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 6:03pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent

Victoria

Maxx England

Posted Thu Aug 20th, 2009 11:08pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent

huggyrei you can't simultaneously know where you are and how fast you're travelling.

Quite obviously a Londoner,then, a perfect description of the common or garden omnibus window.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Aug 21st, 2009 3:24am Post subject: Mornington Crescent

Never ever heard of this game.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Maxx England

Posted Fri Aug 21st, 2009 7:14pm Post subject: Mornington Crescent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clue/

I have personally nearly crashed a motor vehicle whilst laughing due to the ill advised action of trying to listen and drive.

Mornington is a surrealist board game, ( not to be confused with Clue's invention, Boardo, a thing that sort of almost doesn't resemble Monopoly) based around route finding by way of underground railway stations. Whether or not they exist.

As for you, Derek, all I can say is Turnpike Lane.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?