Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AHisme

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 10:46am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
I haven't seen any other topic on the subject, so I thought I'd start one myself.

So please post any movie recommendations you have.

AHisme

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 10:51am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
So I'll start.

Yesterday I was at the pramiere of a wonderful film called "Adam Ressurected". It is directed by Paul Shrader, and starring Jeff Goldblum and Willem Dafoe. Its a co production of Germany, USA and Israel.

The film is about a very charming holocaust surviver who is now at a mental institute in the middle of the desert. In the holocaust, he was forced to be a dog, and he meets another dog in the institute to which he tries to help..

It's a wonderfully acted/ wonerfully written/ wonderfully shot. And the ending reminded me of Stephen too.

ishaun

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 3:33pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
Off the top of my head....

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

It's such a great film. It could of been a train wreck but it's beautifully handled by Director Julian Schnabel. It's heart breaking, touching and funny.

If you haven't seen it, why the heck not!?

Puppaz

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 4:57pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
Its very well known, but "Pan's Labirynth" is a great film, mixing the fantastical world of a child's imagination/fairy tale with the harsh realities of the Spanish Civil war, but somehow doing it perfectly. One of the few films that has ever made me cry (for some reason books can do it all the time, but films hardly ever do)

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 6:16pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was amazing. I saw it at last years film festival and I was blown away. Can't wait for this years film fest...only a week away.

I recommend any film by Pedro Almodovar but most especially Todo Sobre Mi Madre (All About My Mother).

All About My Mother is loaded with brilliant themes and intertext and I am writing my thesis on the film. It tells the story of a woman who has lost her son and her journey to find her ex-husband to tell him. Along the way she creates for herself the most unique family in cinema history.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

AHisme

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 8:23pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?

I recommend any film by Pedro Almodovar but most especially Todo Sobre Mi Madre (All About My Mother).

All About My Mother is loaded with brilliant themes and intertext and I am writing my thesis on the film. It tells the story of a woman who has lost her son and her journey to find her ex-husband to tell him. Along the way she creates for herself the most unique family in cinema history.

I actually watched most of of Almodovar's films, but I haven't watched this one yet, and I am ashamed.

TheElephant

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 9:44pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
A small selection of favourites:

The Sleeper (Woody Allen)
Comedy Genius.

Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting

And one that I wasn't really bothered about, as I thought it was going to be all Flying Rabbit, Crouching Giraffe, but it was just great entertainment:
Kung Fu Hustle.

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Oct 17th, 2008 10:03pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
I love Kung-fu Hustle. I have it on blu-ray and it looks divine

Some other films I love for different reasons:

Gods and Monsters - it is a fictional account of James Whale's last few days and his friendship with a gardener. Ian McKellen (who is brilliant anyway), Brendan Fraser and Lynn Redgrave

Murder By Death - ridiculously silly 70's film with tons of famous people, not least of which is Truman Capote. Don't watch if you get offended!

Brief Encounter - very old film which beautifully illustrates rigid British values of the time

Pan's Labyrinth is on my shelf and I havn't watched it yet and I keep meaning to get the Diving Bell and the Butterfly (book and film). I fail I know

That would be me.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Oct 18th, 2008 11:55am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
For those who love Pan's Labyrinth I recommend an earlier film by Del Toro: The Devil's Backbone.

I also second Kung Fu Hustle. Brilliant and funny.

For fans of musicals and Cole Porter in particular I recommend a little gem called De-Lovely. It stars Kevin Kline as Cole Porter and looks at his life and is full of his wonderful songs performed by stars like Alanis Morissette, Robbie Williams, Sheryl Crow, Evlis Costello, John Barrowman, Lemar and Diana Krall.

Assuming direct control...

Lauz

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 6:15pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
Gods and Monsters - it is a fictional account of James Whale's last few days and his friendship with a gardener. Ian McKellen (who is brilliant anyway), Brendan Fraser and Lynn Redgrave

I love that film.

I have quite a few i could recommend but i'll stick to three that i love:

Children of Men
True Romance
Memento

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:41am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
Children of Men is excellent!

Capote, Iris and the Last King of Scotland all come highly recommended from me as well.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

fryfan20

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:52am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
I am really bad at remembering names, these I do remember:

wit
    a beautiful mind
    zwartboek (Dutch film)
    The Mists of Avalon
    all the Hannibal films

can't remember any more now, maybe later

I am what I am

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:56am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
I would have to recommend Hero, its beautifully shot, the colours are amazng!

Also love Tell No One and Luc Besson's Nikita and Leon.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:59am Post subject: Movies recommendations?
it does speak for it's self but everything where Stephen fry is in

I am what I am

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 2:16pm Post subject: Movies recommendations?
I would have to recommend Hero, its beautifully shot, the colours are amazng!

I really really want to see that, and Fearless as well. Have you seen House of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? I recommend those both to anyone who hasn't seen them. They're pretty awesome.

Assuming direct control...