Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:10am Post subject: Mr Bungle
While I'm on a bit of a roll with posting/SPAMMING tonight...I just thought I would make a little post in tribute to one of my favourite bands of all time. They are deceptively good: they only ever released 3 albums, their name smacks of high-school immaturity, as does their first album (although it shows signs of great musicianship and is still definitely worth a listen; there aren't many just-out-of-high school bands with that much musical ability), and they have the kind of cult following that is more than enough to put off the kind of people who hate bands with cult followings but each album shows how much they have matured. Their second album, Disco Volante, is an avant-garde mish-mash of cartoon, metal, lounge, middle-eastern...well almost anything, and it varies between being astoundingly good and just incredibly frustrating. Their third, California, is a 'pop' album in the only way Bungle could make a pop album. Each track has distinct Californian influences, and yet no track is the same as the last. The production is incredible. So much going on in each track and yet it all works. It has ballads, metal, Jewish-sounding experimental music, all sorts. The band are not to everyone's taste, and who knows, I may grow out of them eventually, but for now they are pretty much a staple in my musical diet and not only would my music taste, but my attitude towards music as a whole and the way I approach my own musical ambitions would never be the same without them. RIP Bungle!

Telepresent

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:23am Post subject: Mr Bungle
EGG!

whatonearth

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:26am Post subject: Mr Bungle
YEAH! i've found my soulmate!

ooh an egg comes out of a chicken, oh a chick comes out of an egg!

you know, i saw mike patton live last november and it was like some kind of pilgrimage, i don't think i've ever been so euphoric at a gig in my life as i was at that one :-// and i even felt violently sick up to a couple of minutes before he came on stage, i had a bit of some drink that tasted incredibly suspicious and made me feel awful...what a coincidence seeing as i was at an ipecac gig

Telepresent

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:27am Post subject: Mr Bungle
That sounds... fun?

whatonearth

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:31am Post subject: Mr Bungle
haha, well no it wasn't at first, but overall it was more than worth it. dub trio were supporting (who were in the peeping tom band, his main project at the time), and as i say, i felt terrible throughout their whole set but i was right near the front and i was determined not to miss the gig. but i felt better literally minutes before the actual gig started and i felt fine by then and had the time of my life, and that's the main thing. i don't usually get starstruck at gigs because well, it's pretty stupid, but damn that man knows how to put on a fun show!

Telepresent

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:34am Post subject: Mr Bungle
Aww, you trooper... I've never had the joy, myself. Just had to rely on the old headphones to keep on going... until my mp3 broke... bastard thing...

whatonearth

Posted Sun Oct 28th, 2007 3:42am Post subject: Mr Bungle
i wouldn't say trooper so much as slightly obsessive fangirl, but i had waited years for that so i couldn't say no really no matter how i felt. well if he ever comes back to the UK then keep an eye out. it's just a shame that he, trevor dunn and trey spruance will never be together as a team again, although mike and trevor are still friends so that's something at least but i still think mr bungle is pretty much the best thing any of them have done, if only because then they had the pressure of impressing each other as well as themselves and their fans.

i will be more than happy to help people 'acquire' some bungle stuff, on the provision that if they like it they promise to make an effort to go and see any of the muscians involved live if they get the opportunity and that's a lot of musicians!

whatonearth

Posted Mon Oct 29th, 2007 7:17pm Post subject: Mr Bungle
actually telepresent have you ever heard a live version of vanity fair? they jazzed up the ending for the live versions and it's great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJJwc3Tl-4

er...you click those fingers mike! and trevor is looking very dapper in his suit as well. all very important.

ok so the sound and video quality isn't very good but you can use your imagination right? i have an audio version of another live performance of it which is much better. also a lovely version of metti, una sera a cena

oh dear i've started now... :-//