Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 14th, 2011 2:28am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

I know I'm always behind the news on these things, but just read that Mr.Fry will be joining the next Sherlock Holmes movie as Holmes' brother Mycroft.

Well done

But I'm not familiar enough to anwer this question: Was Sherlock's brother that much older than him? I mean, there is a bit of an age gap between Downey and Fry, so I'm assuming Mycroft was maybe a half-brother or just born that much earlier than Sherlock? ( any sherlock exprts up in here? )

Anyone know anything about the Mycroft character, what he's 'like'?

I hear Moriarty and Sherlock meet up in the new one. I liked the first one very much. I know some Brits were mad about Downey doing Sherlock but he did Chaplin and really excelled at that.

Besides, no one here got mad when Anthony Hopkins played Nixon.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Jul 14th, 2011 4:22pm Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Mycroft was 7 years older than Sherlock and Stephen is 8 years older than RDJ. *the more you know XD

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Apple

Posted Sat Jul 23rd, 2011 5:02am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Was I the only one scouring the new trailer for Mycroft?

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

Nitro

Posted Sat Jul 23rd, 2011 4:54pm Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

I don't think so Apple

Thanks for the info IC. I can see the age part but they are both very different looking actors as well, but playing brothers.

Which one is the milkman's kid?

Really? Wow.

Jennygraham

Posted Thu Aug 11th, 2011 10:29am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Mycrosoft was much older than the Sherlock.Difference will be of around 8 to 9 year.

Boog

Posted Tue Sep 6th, 2011 8:24pm Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Stephen Fry as Mycroft ... perfect

"Murphy was an optimist."

Boog

Posted Tue Sep 6th, 2011 8:29pm Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

While I really enjoyed Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes, Jeremy Brett was the best

"Murphy was an optimist."

mizresa

Posted Tue Dec 27th, 2011 2:01am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Does anyone know if it was SF's idea to go nude in the scene?

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Dec 28th, 2011 3:19am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

I"m going to say no....it is extremely rare that actors get that much control over something.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Uffe

Posted Fri Dec 30th, 2011 7:46am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

I just went to see the new Sherlock Holmes film last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but since I hadn't seen many ads for it it came as a complete surprise to see mr Fry playing Mycroft.

What an utter delight!

I'm afraid I made a bit of a fool of myself going "Awww" when he first came on, which no one else in the theatre did. (It was a small theatre, and everyone in it was a philistine. Except my date.)

And this on the very same day that I finished reading Moab Is My Washpot, which I'd bought for myself as a Christmas treat. How's that for a koinkydink?

The excellent choice for the part and the wonderful performance aside, I always had a bit of a soft spot for Mycroft - I just loved the idea of clever Sherlock having an even cleverer brother - so I hope we get to see more Mycroft in movies to come.

Theahatthe

Posted Mon Jan 9th, 2012 9:08am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was not what I hoped it would be, despite some good actors including our lovely Mister Fry. Trite and rather dull for the first hour and a half, anti-climactic in its denouement (which is unforgivable given the storyline they were drawing from!) and lacking in even a scrap of intrigue throughout.

I think too much time was spent on explosions and spectacle, and not enough on a mystery plot that captured the attention. The two leads seemed to have turned off their considerable acting acumen for the duration of the film and bored me half to death. Kelly Reilly was her usual intolerable self as Watson's deadly-dull and irritating wife. Sim seemed to be there merely to show a bit of cleavage and perpetuate stereotypes about gypsies.

Mycroft could have been more interesting but they wasted Mr. Fry on cheap gags and...er...yeah, more cheap gags. The character is really interesting in the books - and very much a match for Holmes. I was hoping there would be an opportunity for Mycroft to show this, rather than just bumbling about in the buff.

Not one convincing moment in the whole film. All in all, a mortifying disappointment.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 17th, 2012 4:30am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

I enjoyed reading your perspective because it's honest

I haven't seen it myself but plan to. I did see a clip of Mr.Fry's Mycroft character and liked it. He tells Sherlock that Watson's not as slow as Sherlock had led him to believe Poor Watson...poor, poor Watson.

I watched the most recent episode of the BBC Sherlock and was kind of disappointed for generally similar reasons ( plot holes or dull ). Still, I'm glad they both exist

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 24th, 2012 2:21am Post subject: Mr.Mycroft, is it?

BTW, someone asked about Fry's nude scene and I think Guy Ritchie said it was totally Mr.Fry's decision and I think he indicates that himself.

Really? Wow.