Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 7:10pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Well I've never really listened to that much Country myself but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, I just haven't really heard much that I like, apart from songs that have a country tinge, like maybe Eagles, or some REM, or other rock bands that have infused Country tinges into it.

OK... I actually don't listen to a lot of country...i listen to all sorts of stuff...but maybe i can make some suggestions.

lots of people who like rock absolutely love johnny cash, and those later albums he did .. i think they were called "american" and then roman numerals afterward... he did at least up to IV... they have some beautiful covers of rock songs and some wonderful renditions of traditional folk songs.

i used to have a dolly parton bluegrass album "the grass is blue" (someone borrowed it and never returned it) i loved it. if you're someone who can't stand fiddle and banjo, you may not get into it... but the songs are so full of emotion and great ballad narratives, it may have been the first bluegrassy thing i liked.

willie nelson is pretty good too, but very mellow... sometimes he's been hard for me to get into. my brother always loved merle haggard, but the more recent albums. lately a lot of the past nashville greats have been getting signed to punk rock labels so they can do whatever they please, and they've been putting out awesome stuff.

it's also fun to try and find old recordings, usually put together by smithsonian/ folkways, of folk singers from the 30's.

"new country", what they play on radio in the u.s., is crazy bad. so bad it is funny. there's a song that's all about this girl that's so attractive, the narrator wants to check her for ticks. (gross!) and who can forget "she thinks my tractor's sexy"?

well, horrible country aside, i've started listening to a little of it. i like that country songs tend to have lyrics with really particular stories, like a ballad. the music part seems to be secondary to this. it's totally different from rock in that way.

saturn, if you're curious and want to hear more, and you're on facebook, i can get some files to you.

MUSIC I LIKE: well, it is a lot. but right now i really like yo la tengo, and this new album by beirut, and sufjan stevens ...polyphonic spree... the flaming lips...brian eno... rufus wainright, magnetic fields... typical person-my-age indie stuff. i've also been having fun distracting myself by listening to bad hair rock from the 80s and old hip hop.

whatonearth

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 8:17pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
I have to admit I'm not much of a lyrics person, unless they really stand out as being terrible then I probably won't notice them. Of course they help to create a mood if you have an idea of what a song is about but that's about it, they're just kind of there. So if a song is (what I would consider) weak musically but has great lyrics then chances are I still won't like it...and I have an English lit degree, shocking!

I would say I am both open-minded and critical of music, not that I'm an expert, but while I like a lot of music it's different to just listening to anything. I love it though, and playing piano is sometimes all that keeps me sane despite the fact that I'm not very good at it considering the fact that I've been keyboard bashing in some way or another almost as long as I can remember...no really that's not just false modesty, I promise!

absolutely curtains

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 9:55pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
People who listen to only one/type/genre of music...what's up with that?
:-//

I'm not that bad... I just like what i like. It's not like I say all other genres are shit.
Well I do for some of them.. But sometimes they really are!

At the momento I'm having a big fat Beatles binge. They're unbelievably amazing, and everyone should agree.
Listen, for your own goods.
Can this also be a "post songs thread"?

Saturn

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 9:57pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Well anyone that doesn't appreciate The Beatles genius should be interned in Guantanamo Bay for having defective ears and no soul

absolutely curtains

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 9:59pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Bloody well put, Saturn.

I also maintain that people should have their feet nailed to the floor for judging Pink Floyd before hearing the album Meddle, or Wish You Were Here. But they always do!

Saturn

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:15pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Well I'm going to disappoint you by saying I think Pink Floyd are overrated...

Don't hit me please

whatonearth

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:16pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
lalala i used to live about a minute's walk from penny lane although it's not that exciting...love the beatles though

ClareBear

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:19pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Whereas I like Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Journey and Foreigner, but The Beatles' stuff doesn't hit me in the right place, I guess.

King Crimson, anyone?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:34pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Atari, go see Across the Universe.... It will change your mind on Beatles songs. Ive always been a fan, grew up with it in the house etc, but when you see that movie the songs all of a sudden become more grounded and real. I used to look at them as airy fairy happy songs.... now I see them differently.

absolutely curtains

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 6:12pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Well I'm going to disappoint you by saying I think Pink Floyd are overrated...
Oh whatever mate. ¬_¬

Have you listened to Meddle and Wish You Were Here? I mean really listened?
What have you heard of theirs? In my head I just compiled a list of albums that people who don't like them must hear, but I found it difficult to leave any of them out.

Atari, go see Across the Universe.... It will change your mind on Beatles songs. Ive always been a fan, grew up with it in the house etc, but when you see that movie the songs all of a sudden become more grounded and real. I used to look at them as airy fairy happy songs.... now I see them differently.
ExACtly. I've never seen it, but I've done a lorra lorra lis'nin'. When I was young I only really heard the mainstream stuff, but now I know more of them I love them more.
The Beatles hit so many places it's impossible for them not to hit the right place.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 6:29pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
i've heard the beatles way way way too much. so overplayed that it goes right past me. i used to like them and had a lot of the albums, but ...sometimes i think a person's brain just can't enjoy it anymmore.
i know, that's sad, but.... meh. and believe me, i don't need to go back and listen to it. so ingrained in my head from others playing it over and over and over and over.... i can't stand two measures of it. even the less pop-y stuff.... heard that too much as well.

sorry.

Wil

Posted Mon Oct 15th, 2007 11:39pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
Hi Folks... for a different take on Across The Universe, you can always check out the Laibach version on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q5mlb3Bjzs

LostAngel

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 3:21pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
The type of music i like is:

The Smiths & Morrissey

Many people have opinions on both The Smiths & Morrissey but i love this type of music!

x

absolutely curtains

Posted Tue Oct 16th, 2007 5:52pm Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
I love Morrissey, he's hilarious.

Also everyone should listen to The Yardbirds all the time. So there.
Dazed and Confused
Eat it, Zeppelin...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Oct 18th, 2007 9:08am Post subject: Muuuuuuuusic
I'm on a Beatles kick at the moment too. I've listened to all the early albums at least 3 times in a row and paid careful attention so that I can spot the nuances. And believe me the early stuff has great merit too. I can't believe there are people out there who only like Sgt. Pepper's or the post-Revolver stuff.
The White Album continues to surprise me. Has anyone noticed how Glass Onion is influenced by Derrida, with Lennon deconstructing his own earlier songs?