Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

katysara

Posted Fri Aug 29th, 2008 8:21pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me (and everyone) know what you think! (Fingers crossed).

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

katysara

Posted Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 9:28pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm totally broke and will be until at least november but its on my christmas wish list and i can't wait to get it.

I wish it were free, or that I could give out free copies - I want people to read it, screw the money. But my publisher paid to publish it, so it's not down to me. I only got one free copy!

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

katysara

Posted Wed Sep 10th, 2008 2:27pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got this review from a distant friend who suffers from depression.

"Your book arrived today. I just finished reading it (that being the first time I've read an entire book in one day for some unfathomable number of years). It's the scariest and bravest thing I've ever read. I can't imagine how brave you must be to have written it. It makes me realise how little I ever understood about the problems you've faced, and amazed (more than I was before) that you are so willing (and capable) to deal with and try to help other people's problems.
It's an amazing book and I hope you're suitably proud of it. You rule.

xx
--dave"

~ Stephen Fry

Sidthespid

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 8:03am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!

That's a wonderful achievement, well done you!

(Why is there no emoticon for an applause?)

I hope it does well, I'm grinning for you.

Again, congratulations!

katysara

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 11:34am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

katysara

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 8:04pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Screw it, Gaya wont mind - here is a copy of her review, fair I think:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Somewhere the sunshine is breaking through
By Gayalondiel

Dark Clouds Gather: The True Story About Surviving Mood Disorders, Eating Disorders, Attempted Suicide and Self-Harm by Katy Sara Culling is one of the most painfully honest books I have ever read. It is written as an autobiography of Culling's experiences as a child, teenager and adult suffering from (mostly undiagnosed) bipolar I with a host of concurrent conditions, as the title suggests. Culling is a highly intelligent individual who has studied chemistry, biochemistry, medicine and psychiatry to various levels up to and including a DPhil at Oxford. She is also distinguished among those people I can name as having been through the most troubling disorders and states of mind that I am aware of. Culling is therefore particularly well, if not uniquely qualified to present the many aspects of her illness with both the awareness of her feelings at the time combined with highly analytical hindsight. She writes articulately about the circles in which her mind could run, exposing without judgement or awkwardness the less desirable view of the world and of individuals that is somewhat inevitable for someone with that condition.

I could go on and on about this book, but I will try to keep it brief. Culling is a miracle - in more sense than one. She is a miracle because she lives, having detailed no less than 443 identifiable suicide attempts in just shy of thirty years of life. She is a miracle because she has been clinically dead at least once, possibly more. She is a miracle because her intent with writing the book was to write "the book I needed to read when I was ill," and in doing so has given up more of herself that anyone would be expected to give into the public arena. Most importantly, though, she is a miracle because she continues to give, online, in her work, producing more books (I am aware of at least two further volumes) and she continues to improve to this day. The final chapter of the book, though hopeful, is tinged with resignation to her illness: the epilogue is brighter by far. She continues to brighten, even when she has hard times, and offer support freely to those people who have not yet learned to live with their illnesses, as well as those who have but continue to need help.

In terms of readability, Culling's writing style is not my style of choice, but then I like my writing to be quite formal, with a slightly obsessive-compulsive need to have the formatting consistent throughout. The writing style does however reflect the subject matter well and underlines the personal and individual nature of the book. It is augmented by frequent quotations from other writers to provide a break in a narrative that feels at times unrelenting, and supported by extracts from Culling's diaries and her medical notes. The book is by no means an easy read, on the contrary it can be painful, tiring and frustrating in places, sparing no detail save the uncommon knowledge that could provide someone with the means to end their lives. At the same time it is a compelling story and the final chapter provides such a powerful lift that you cannot help but feel that there is hope, not just for Culling but for anyone fighting the same demons.

Anyone struggling with mood disorders, eating disorders, anyone feeling a loss of hope or lack of self-esteem, and anyone struggling to know how to support and understand a friend or family member in that position, this book is a must. Nowhere else will you find such honesty and understanding.

~ Stephen Fry

katysara

Posted Fri Jan 9th, 2009 10:13pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SAW MY BOOK IN WATERSTONES IN OXFORD!!!!!!!!

~ Stephen Fry

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 5:35am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neat!

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

s7tor

Posted Mon Mar 9th, 2009 6:53pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would just like to say, i got your book last week, and am in the middle of it , it is great!! Well obviously sad, but it is so honest, i am suffering from sdepression ( have for 3 years, which is a very short time compared to your experience in the book)and am sick to death of it!! your book is so true , I have tried reading many books on depression, but find it hard to stick with them. But yours its hard to put down!!
Well done on your success and hope you are doing well !!
Thanks for a good read X

katysara

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 10:03pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you.... Let me know what you think when you finish! BTW there is some tough stuff to read about suicide (always with warnings) so if you don't feel great be careful.

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

s7tor

Posted Thu Mar 12th, 2009 7:42pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW
What a book, it is amazing!!
I have finished it now, it was such a good read, so honest and so true.
Unfortunatley i find anything hard to sum up in words, but it was a truly amazing thing to read.
I hope more good things come your way
XXX

katysara

Posted Thu Mar 12th, 2009 9:45pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do me a favour and TELL LOTS OF PEOPLE!

ksX

~ Stephen Fry

LIZLOU

Posted Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 11:47pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive got a copy ,and its a damn good read . My mate wants read it when ive finshed it.

fry'speppermintcream

Posted Wed May 6th, 2009 9:58am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats on the book. I hope it does well and helps loads of people. I'll get one.

yours

Fry's peppermint cream

katysara

Posted Wed May 6th, 2009 11:52am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Fry's Peppermint Cream. Be careful not to smudge the pages with your lovely chocolate.

KSx

~ Stephen Fry