Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

LIZLOU

Posted Sat May 23rd, 2009 9:27am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can definately recommend Katy Sara's book . I'm almost finished it now .Its taken so long because ive taken it to work to read .I think it may have been deliberate . I leave it on my chair .Quite a lot of people know bout my Bipolar,and know im a bit Different to the rest of em. I have had a few people ask to read it when ive finished it .Isnt it strange how theyre all females. !
Back to KS's book .It has been interesting to find out what she gets up to.The people she meets,the friendships made,and in general the way she copes with life . Its been a real eye-opener for me,and i suffer with it too.
It certainly is a pleasure to be in touch with you Katy Sara.
Hope all is well with you,and ill be in touch,later in the day.
Take care,
Liz.x

Darwa

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 1:59am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I'm not really adding anything to the flow (?) of conversation here, but I would like to state that I have just ordered this book in the hope that it will help my understanding of the condition.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Rapid Cycling Manic Depression (I don't like the modern term 'bipolar' as I don't find it remotely reflective.) in my early teens, and have spent the last 6 years being unable to work (officially). Nowadays, I've finally learned to cope, but I don't know how or why.

Last October, I went out to celebrate my 33rd birthday and frankly, I got hammered to the point that I have no idea what occurred. I woke up in the late afternoon of the following day and things felt 'different' though don't understand why.

Since then, I have lost 8 stone in weight, and haven't taken my daily cocktail of Citalopram, Haloperidol, and Ziprasidone, plus Fexofenadine, and Terazosin for 10 months. Don't fret - I saw my GP 2 weeks after my 'epiphany' and every month since.

So where am I going with this? Nowhere really. It's nearly 1am on a Tuesday morning, and I feel like getting it off my chest, and Stephen Fry has always been a bit of a hero of mine since I read an article about him that covered his mental battles. Before then, he was 'just' a funny guy to me.

Anyway, since October, I've watched every episode of QI (thanks to the wonders of the internet) and a lot of other programs that have permissed Stephen to be himself (or at least, how I see him) and that has spurred me on to returning to Cambridge to read Psychology in September.

No, I don't expect a response, and I do partly expect some moderation as I'm not really on subject, but I hope you can see how it ties in.

I've now got the urge to listen to American IV by Johnny Cash and cry my eyes out, so I shall wish you well, and I hope your book is as good as I've heard

katysara

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 11:57am Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your post was very interesting - and good luck at Cambridge even though I am an Oxonian and will be cheering against you during the boat race.

Sounds like you are going through a lot and I do hope my book helps you. If it throws up any questions feel free to contact me either here, or more personally via private message or email katy.sara@bipolar-foundation.org. I wrote the book to help people like us and I hope I don't fail you.

Best,
Katy Sara Culling x
(KSx for short).

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Maxx England

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 12:14pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
The book has thrown things up for me I never thought about before; where it will lead I don't know.

Coping: no chemical intervention these days, I undertook a deliberate course of cold introspection whilst I was on Prozac and that gave me memories to file, work on, deal with.

Also, after a badly broken leg three years ago, I haven't worked, and not dealing with negative quality environments and individuals has done me the world of good. No bloody money around, but which matters more, mental health or having a fat wallet and a cheerless mind?

KS, one thing which many of us suffer from is low self esteem, a sense of not being in some way worthy. From all of us who have read The Book, you're better than OK. You're actually heroic. And I don't say that to many people.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

katysara

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 12:17pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Maxx.
(Through misty eyes)

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

katysara

Posted Tue Sep 22nd, 2009 9:00pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darwa said:
I know I'm not really adding anything to the flow (?) of conversation here, but I would like to state that I have just ordered this book in the hope that it will help my understanding of the condition.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Rapid Cycling Manic Depression (I don't like the modern term 'bipolar' as I don't find it remotely reflective.) in my early teens, and have spent the last 6 years being unable to work (officially). Nowadays, I've finally learned to cope, but I don't know how or why.

~

Are you OK? Did the book help at all? Are you still heading off to Cambridge this autumn?

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

marzgirl

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 4:38pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not really sure how to explain this. My son with his bipolar/ADHD seems to wear his moods on his sleave. Is that just because of the added ADHD? For every mood or idea he does verbalize, is there another 10 he is not? Scary! There have been a few instances over the past few years when, or so it seemed that he all of the sudden grabbed a weapon (ie. grill fork, knife) and started making threats (we now keep knives and scissors locked in the garage). Then again, when he visits his dad he does not act out to this degree. My son says it is for fear of corporal punishment, which I don't use. But that tells me he is capable of making a choice.
Yesterday we were at a store and my son was looking at halloween costumes (his favorite holiday). I was in another section and he ran up behind me with a prop axe or something. His mood has been mixed as of late and sometimes when he does things like that I wonder if he does sometimes think of killing me.
I hope you got the jist of why I had these thoughts without me doing an actual comparison/contrast with certain instances pertaining to your book as to not spoil it for others.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

katysara

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 7:00pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I get it - without going into details in the book - you've read in my book about my hidden emotions etc. my behaviour (in my case the anger turned in at myself) and you've watched TSLOTMD with that kid who dreamed he was walking over his mum's dismembered body, and you've experienced you own son's behaviour - and you are scared.

I think lots of people wonder what it would be like to kill - I have even though I wouldn't do it in a million years. Your son might have thought about it but I very seriously doubt you are in any risk. I would expect that because of the ADHD he is less good at hiding his emotions.

I don't think I made much sense there.

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

marzgirl

Posted Sun Oct 11th, 2009 9:32pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

The passage you included could not have rang more true. ADD has always felt like that to me. Having just been diagnosed myself just a few months ago I always thought I was lazy, indecisive, spontanious, easily bored, unmotivated, spoke before thinking.....I had no idea there was anything called executive functioning. So it sounds like with the bipolar by itself, people are goal oriented and don't have as much trouble controling impulses. By impulses I mean like smacking someone, throwing something...like a knee jerk reaction without thought to consequences.
My son voices alot of goals, big goals. But without executive functioning I don't know what. The bipolar meds help to some degree, but not at all for the ADHD. All of the traditional ADHD meds have horrible effects on bipolar. That is how we found out he is bipolar in the first place. I was scared shitless when I started on the Adderall that the same thing would happen to me that happened to my son, because of the genetic component of bipolar.
I am not feeling all that focused right now. I have been sitting here for over an hour. I wrote one thing and deleted it, now I have this. So what the hell, I am going to send it. I guess I have too much food for thought at the moment and need to process some more. You made sense. I am glad I explained, without explaining too much.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Mon Oct 12th, 2009 6:16pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so another thought is occuring to me. The fact that alot of the time you turned your anger in on yourself and put on a happy face. I am wondering if that was a trust issue. You mentioned trusting certain people although acting out. That is what my son does. He flips out with me and at therapy. To a lesser degree at school. And hardly at all when he visits his dad. Being around certain people that you feel safe around also makes a person feel safe to be themselves even at their worst. On the flip side a person will turn in on themselves and put on the happy face for fear of judgement.
If that is the case I guess I should stop beating myself up when my son acts out like he does, because I must be doing something right if he trusts me like this.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

katysara

Posted Tue Oct 13th, 2009 6:22pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me I put on my happy face for everyone, the anger came out in situations were I was more relaxed and let my guard down, thus exposing the anger/whatever else that was there.

Make sense?

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

marzgirl

Posted Tue Oct 13th, 2009 8:51pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that makes sense. Well, for him that might be the impulsiveness of the ADHD and seperate from the bipolar. Really muddles things up for me. The meds for the ADHD exacerbates the bipolar. Because of the dangers the bipolar presents obviously the bipolar is treated first. So, now we are left with the ADHD with no real way to handle it, or so it seems. I am worried he will end up like me with a degree partially finished and no real career. I guess that will be for my next therapy session. My fear of projecting.
I did not make too much progress reading last night. I stayed up too late watching House and Heroes.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 2:51pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to pick your brain a moment if I can. I took my son to have his blood levels checked the other day and he damn near passed out. He did in fact pass out when he got he last immunizations. So my first thought was, well I hope that means I don't have to worry about any cutting type self harm. He has talked about getting tattoos when he gets older and I joked that I did not see any in his future. He laughed.
Last night he said he heard about "vampires", not real ones but they drink each others blood with permission of course. I did not act shocked, just told him that was a good way to get diseases and pointed out that he cannot even stand getting blood draws.
He said he would not let anyone take and drink his, but when he gets a cut or something he sucks his own until he cannot get anymore and it is so good and really addicting.
Not sure if this is something to be worried about?
XXX

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

katysara

Posted Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 8:11pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it is not something to worry about. A lot of people will stick a cut finger or whatever into their mouth if it is bleeding, it's like second nature, and they do so until it stops bleeding. Some suck on it. I think it is separate from all the other things you mentioned in the post. When your son describes it as good and really addicting I think it's because it does taste nice to some people and he has absolutely NO IDEA what addictive really means when he uses the word in this case. He thinks he knows what addictive means, he wanted a reaction from you, and he got one.

I think you did the right thing re vampires. And I think you are right, he will struggle to self-harm if he has such a problem with needles... but there are other forms of self-harm other than cutting (and I think he could even eventually cut with perseverance).

To mention well known methods and not put ideas into anybody's head - (all this info can be found on the internet anyway) People bang their heads, hands, feet, even breaking bones. People burn themselves with cigarrettes or lighters. And of course there is always risky behaviour like drugs and drink which are harmful in themselves and that make risk taking or self harming behaviour more likely.

BUT

You are worrying before any of these things have happened. You are obviously a great mum and you will spot the signs early if they do materialise.

KSx

~ Stephen Fry

marzgirl

Posted Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 8:34pm Post subject: My book is out - sometimes good things happen...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the reasurance. He does bang his head at times, but so far that is about it, besides the verbal threats. Other times he will run off out of anger or just out of excitment and has almost gotten hit by a car a couple of times. Not because he was trying to, just because he was not paying attention.
Oh, I forgot, he used to pick the skin off his big toes until they get sore and sometimes bleed. That usually happens when he goes on visits to his dad's house. When he gets home I see that he has been picking, and then he stops after he has been back home a bit. A nervous thing perhaps?
Thank you for the reasurance again, and your insight. Most appreciated.
XXX

~Martin Luther King Jr.~