Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

quantumofire

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 5:58pm Post subject: My novel

I've just spent the last five plus years writing a novel. Going through numerous redrafts until...hurray, it's done............but.

Now in order for it to get even sniffed at by anybody I have to submit a synopsis. In other words condense five hundred and thirteen pages into not more than half a dozen. Explaining the entire story, characters, plot and subtext etc..etc...ad nauseam...not leave a bit of mystery. I know they want an idea of what they're going to be reading but surely a simple intro letter would suffice and the first xxx pages of the manuscript. Oh well...

So here I go...Help!!!!!

Does this apply to every publisher you want to submit a novel too?

Perhaps I should try finding an agent first...do they read unsolicited manuscripts?

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 6:13pm Post subject: My novel

There is a book, which you may have heard of, called the writers and artist's yearbook which gives information to writers and artists on publishers and agents.

I don't know if it gives requirements on precisely what to submit, but think it probably does. I had an idea that some publishers, at least, will accept the first two or three chapters of a novel but I'm not sure that very many will accept something unsolicited.

It's worth looking at this book.

Alternatively if you are near a school or college that offers creative writing classes then the tutors on these courses will know which route to take.

But I don't know if they would advise without you signing up for a course.

They may do.

And yes. I just had an image of the beast sitting in a classroom.

Nitro

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 12:07am Post subject: My novel

"The Writers Market" is another good reference.

There are numerous agents out there. Good ones - those with working clients - won't take anything unsolicited, generally. A good agent will get you work and more work and promote/connect you. Bad ones will sign you up and do next to nothing but make excuses and accept money.

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 4:12pm Post subject: My novel

Thank you for all the advice. I shall be down the central library in the morning...if they can't help me then who can.

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

henry

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: My novel

In the Netherlands we don´t have agents. You simply sent it to a publisher and land on the bottem of the pile. I did manage to get a few books published by a very small publisher. Haven´t sold very much though, just a 500 or so. It´s a real struggle... You have to go and read in public places, so people get to know you. I do some local radio stories too. It helps to get the right contacts: they are very important.

quantumofire

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 8:17pm Post subject: My novel

The problem I find is, you go Googling for advice and help and half the sites tell you to give up from the start. I'm not very good at pushing myself out like that...a lot people I known who are writers found that self-publicity thing very hard. But I guess that's part of the business and publishers have a ton of manuscript sent to them every year and everybody thinks they've written the next new thing.

I wonder if you have to submit a synopsis when sending your work to a publisher in the Netherlands?

henry

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 8:47pm Post subject: My novel

No, I don´t think you have to write a synopsis in The Netherlands. I didn´t, anyway. Self-publicity is just a part of it all. You have to be a bit lucky too and in the end readers really have to like what you write. If you start reading in a writers club or on the local radio and people like what you do, then you get more confident. That way it is easier to persevere. But in your case, I really think you should write that synopsis, if this is what they want. You could ask someone to help you, someone who knows your book or even pay somebody to make a good synopsis. First impressions are important.

Norfolk and good

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 11:06pm Post subject: My novel

Hey ignore the sites that tell you to give up. Keep dreaming and get your book out there. There are far too many people willing to knock our dreams. Somebody has to write the next bestseller so why can't it be you. Go for it!!

By the way most reputable agents/publishers shouldn't charge a reading fee so don't pay anything upfront.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Sep 25th, 2009 12:09am Post subject: My novel

Thank you. I take heart for all your support and advice.