Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

kureta

Posted Sun Mar 20th, 2011 10:31pm Post subject: My Sister's Death and Facebook

Hi Mr. Fry,

I don't know if you will ever see this post but I sure hope so. My name is Sahin Kureta. I lost my sister on 18th of November 2009. She was born on 14th of November 1988. She was just 21 when she died.

She used to have a Facebook account. I wanted Facebook to delete her account so I filled a form on the website. They did not reply or deleted or even memorialized her account. I filled in the form for several times just a few weeks after her death but nothing changed. I tried to reach a real person at Facebook to help me but they do not have that kind of help-desk.

I tried filling the form in again today but, not to my surprise, it did not work, again.

So, all I want for my birthday is for you to tweet about this. You have millions of followers on twitter, so I think that will have an impact on the Internet and make Facebook delete the account.

Currently Facebook does not even offer to delete the account. They only memorialize it. I don't want my sister's nice memories reduced into a bullshit web profile, on which every one can comment crap and I don't want to be reminded of her death every time I log on to the Internet. I have nice memories about her all around me, here at home and in my mind.

So I kindly wish from you to tweet about this. My sister's name is "Burcu Kureta". She is the only "Burcu Kureta" on Facebook.

bauer5152

Posted Tue Jun 21st, 2011 3:02am Post subject: My Sister's Death and Facebook

Thank you so much for your post.

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Tue Jun 21st, 2011 6:08am Post subject: My Sister's Death and Facebook

I have so many phone numbers in my phone of people who are gone, and people online who are gone. It's especially hard when it's family. Photos are randomly posted of your friends on Facebook. There used to be a way to lock down who was shown, but they reset the UI trolling for marketing permissions pretty much every quarter.

If it helps, there's a way to hide updates without dropping someone as a friend.

I understand the need to take it down. Occasionally invitations will pop up or I see someone using the name or nick of someone who's gone, and not in a remember this person, respectful way, more to be emotionally manipulative, and then it's not the name or memory that bothers me, but the fact that someone is so sad they'd try and use something that sucker punch easy to try and leave an impact.

I find life has a way of rolling similar people back together again, so you see the same kinds of people as the merry go round turns. Most people have no idea who they're like, and as you learn who you are like, you realize people have probably been looking at you for years and reminded of someone.

Finding a way to love people who are like the people we love is not an easy memorial. But it can help sometimes. Better than staring at the faces of people on Facebook.

Kubluku

Posted Sun Jul 10th, 2011 6:13pm Post subject: My Sister's Death and Facebook

Are you sure, one of my friends deleted his facebook account, I will ask him how he did it and tell you : )

Best of luck to you regardless, nothing like facebook to make bad things worse!

#All I need is love#...
http://www.facebook.com/people/Sean-Anthony-Gilfillan/100000784779534
Please add me, I just want some friends : )