Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Bethune

Posted Sat Mar 26th, 2011 5:46pm Post subject: My university says NO to 'vanity' IT products!

We've just had an amazing email from our head of finance at our university.

Basically if we want to buy any Apple products (like the iPad, iPhone, ect) we now have to submit a BUSINESS PLAN to justify how these items are really necessary! From what I have discovered our finance director sees Apple products as 'vanity' gadgets and wants to discourage members of staff from buying them.

Now I know there is a lot of hoo-ha in the press about Apple being too big for it's boots and what-not, and a lot of people think Apple products are over priced, but the whole Apple credo is about making technology transparent to users and allowing them just to get on and do what they need to do easily. In education this is very important.

The iPad, in particular, exemplifies how a well designed piece of technology can break down the IT wall that can exist between users.

Apologies for the rant. Steve

jobernowl

Posted Wed Jun 15th, 2011 12:25pm Post subject: My university says NO to 'vanity' IT products!

I hate to say it but I think I agree with your Uni.

No, I dont HATE Apple (I have very fond memories of the IIe) but they are expensive, and there´s no getting away from that fact, especially for a cash-strapped organisation.

As far as the ethos is concerned, to be honest I don´t see that much difference between ease of use of Apple products and Windows products these days, they both pretty much work out of the box - the much vaunted ease of the Apple is mainly down to restrictions on hardware, not any inherent superiority.

Of course, personally I think all publicly funded organisations should use Linux, but then I love the Penguin and believe computers should be a little challenging.