Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 9:36am Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
Ah, can you smell the ever progressing march of urbanisation?

New council homes for the UK

I don't wish to seem...Indelicate, but my concern here is that members of the British public with refugee and asylum seeker status will be given preferential treatment; this has, at least been the case here in the south west. Plymouth has recently built hundreds of new homes at the cost of the taxpayer, only to essentially turn said council homes into a literal afghanistani home from home. I'm not saying that asylum seekers shouldn't be allocated housing, but by the same token, I can't help but feel central government isn't thinking this through properly.

Don't get me wrong; I applaud this move, as new homes are indeed what the UK needs to ease the homeless problem, but my fear is that the UK may yet lose even more countryside in the name of building more communities - if local government is encouraged to redevelop existing council areas, then this could very well be a good thing, as most of our estates our quite badly designed for layout, and could have more done in terms with space optimisation.

Ah well. at least I can honestly say that the Labour heart seems to be in the right place for once - I'm just curious about the fine details of this move.

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 10:36am Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
I support it.

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 10:44am Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
Absolutely my friend, as do I. My fear in this case, however is allocation priorities.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 3:40pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
The problem with people trying to do the right thing is that if they don't do it by everybody, not just the noisiest, then the Right thing becomes attractive; politicians should be aware of that.

And if a refugee complains about substandard housing, perhaps they should be offered the alternative of a free trip back to the place they left?

I live in the cheap seats and I hear people talking about their native born relatives and friends struggling to find a place to live, and then they are told to make way for a newcomer with no history of contribution or loyalty to this country. I do not condone -isms, but I do understand the point of view.

As for hacking more trees down and eating agricultural land, where's the Green party in all this? Green land eats CO 2 so why aren't the tree huggers trying to save it? Or is it some sort of blind spot, where they want to hit high profile air travel and personal mobility?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 4:53pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
The problem with people trying to do the right thing is that if they don't do it by everybody, not just the noisiest, then the Right thing becomes attractive; politicians should be aware of that.

And if a refugee complains about substandard housing, perhaps they should be offered the alternative of a free trip back to the place they left?

I live in the cheap seats and I hear people talking about their native born relatives and friends struggling to find a place to live, and then they are told to make way for a newcomer with no history of contribution or loyalty to this country. I do not condone -isms, but I do understand the point of view.

As for hacking more trees down and eating agricultural land, where's the Green party in all this? Green land eats CO 2 so why aren't the tree huggers trying to save it? Or is it some sort of blind spot, where they want to hit high profile air travel and personal mobility?

It's very difficult to be delicate. Of course, we have a lot more room over here and can accomodate a lot more people. But I do wonder how smaller nations feel about such a huge influx of immigrants who haven't, as you've stated, show a history of contribution or loyalty. Not blind loyalty, either. I guess one could argue that they haven't had a chance to contribute and will once they get on their feet, but has this historically been the case?

How does a nation that wasn't a melting pot to begin with feel about becoming one? The U.S. has always been this way so it doesn't seem unusual to have a Pakistani market in the middle of our homogenous (meaning white) town. It's just something that happens.

I guess my questions don't make much sense.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 3:33pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
We have people of Pakistani origin, born here, educated here , housed here, health care freely given to them. Most of them appreciate it but even so adopt an insular attitude to the native population. It is a sad fact that as a result they are regarded by some right wingers as a parasitic society; this in spite of working and contributing to the system.

The idiot youths that claim Britain and the West are at war with Islam never stop to consider that no mosques are being demolished. No soldiers break down the doors of Islamic bookshops and burn copies of the Koran. It would be as well for them to be taught some English history (a fair proportion of America's early European population was exported by Oliver Cromwell as religious dissidents) and the effects of a religious war involving a whole nation, top to bottom, old and young.

We are at yet another crossroads I think. We had better check our directions and what colour the lights are.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 7:15pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
We have people of Pakistani origin, born here, educated here , housed here, health care freely given to them. Most of them appreciate it but even so adopt an insular attitude to the native population. It is a sad fact that as a result they are regarded by some right wingers as a parasitic society; this in spite of working and contributing to the system.

The idiot youths that claim Britain and the West are at war with Islam never stop to consider that no mosques are being demolished. No soldiers break down the doors of Islamic bookshops and burn copies of the Koran. It would be as well for them to be taught some English history (a fair proportion of America's early European population was exported by Oliver Cromwell as religious dissidents) and the effects of a religious war involving a whole nation, top to bottom, old and young.

We are at yet another crossroads I think. We had better check our directions and what colour the lights are.

Well put, your last statement was. Do you think Britain is really headed that way again? I don't know British history the way I should, but I do know about the battles between Protestants and Catholics over the centuries. With all of our advanced firepower, I'd hate to see another religious conflagration.

Every now and then, here in the US, someone will call for making English the national language. I used to think that was wrong, that we should allow everyone to do as they wish. But the more I think about it, the more I think perhaps we should. If I decided to move to France, I'd take it upon myself to learn French (perhaps that is the law there). Same thing if I moved to Mexico or Germany or anywhere, for that matter. I just think it's incumbent upon a person who wants to take economic and personal advantage of a new nation to have the courtesy to learn the language and the history.

Corona

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 1:41pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
I worry about the Green Belt disappearing. How long will it be before you have to pay to go to a museum for a virtual Reality tour of the countryside? Maxx asaked what about pollution and global Warming. I agree. Where are the environMentals?

joan

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 2:55pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
I think this is a difficult question - overpopulation, the allocation of council houses, homelessness, the belief that immigrants are getting better treatment.

Many years ago I was allocated a council house on a preferential basis . My husband had got his discharge from the Royal Navy, and we came back to our small town in Yorkshire and put our names on the list for a council house. We got one immediately. I was most surprised, pleasantly of course, and asked how come? It turned out that ex-forces went to the top of the list - they'd served their country etc etc. It seemed fair to me, after all, my husband had faced danger and death in the service (there was plenty going on during the cold war years)

Anyway, the vitriol that followed was appalling - Mum caught the worst of it because people knew her, not me as I'd been away a long time. People didn't know I was a local girl. It died down eventually when the truth came out, but I certainly leaned that the allocation of council houses is a political minefield.

So - I can imagine the troubles that are going to follow when people see others getting housed when they feel it isn't fair. But sometimes things aren't what they seem. For instance, if there was an Iraqi family who'd worked for and helped the allies, then suffered torture, bereavement and threats, you'd want to give them asylum. But that asylum could well involve a council house. Would that be wrong?

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 4:29pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!
Can anyone tell me, without too much trouble to yourself, how the allocation of council houses works? We have public housing here, but as far as I know it's dished out either by income or by a first-come, first-served basis or both. I'm not sure if military personnel get preferential treatment.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 4:55pm Post subject: New council homes to be built in the UK!

So - I can imagine the troubles that are going to follow when people see others getting housed when they feel it isn't fair. But sometimes things aren't what they seem. For instance, if there was an Iraqi family who'd worked for and helped the allies, then suffered torture, bereavement and threats, you'd want to give them asylum. But that asylum could well involve a council house. Would that be wrong?

No, of course it wouldn't be wrong, but in the end this all comes down to people having a preconceived idea of how they think things are, or how they think things ought to be, when in fact they are usually ignorant of all the facts. We have to have faith in the powers that be who are making these determinations, eventhough they are sometimes corrupt because I really don't see any alternative. Anyone else?

Can anyone tell me, without too much trouble to yourself, how the allocation of council houses works? We have public housing here, but as far as I know it's dished out either by income or by a first-come, first-served basis or both. I'm not sure if military personnel get preferential treatment.

We have sooo many different programs here. I spent many years working with Habitat for Humanity in Central and South America and I still think it's probably the best international org/program out there. Not what you're asking I know, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Sorry.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman