Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nickb123

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 10:58pm Post subject: New MacBooks
I've checked to make sure this isn't covered here already, but can't believe it isn't. What do people think of the new MacBooks?

I think they look absolutely stunning, and the aluminum, etc, is lovely. Not so happy that the minimum specs are much bigger than what I actually require in terms of hard drive, meaning extra expense if I wanted to upgrade to one. Also don't like that the illuminated keyboard (which just looks incredible, not to be an ostentatious Mac user) is only available if you buy the high-spec model. The lighting in my dorm is awful, so I'd appreciate the feature, but don''t wanna buy a 250MB hard drive and faster processor, I don't need it. A beautiful piece of technology, absolutely, but they've made me think of Apple now as slightly sell-outy and out to increase profits rather than keep their customers happy.

gjhsu

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 11:25pm Post subject: New MacBooks
It is indeed beautiful, and like almost everything running OSX, just works. I wouldn't buy one if it were my only computer, though. It's still not nearly powerful enough to run all of the five games out there that work in OSX without huffing and puffing and getting hot and bothered. Better than the last Macbook (of which I own one), but it's no Macbook Pro.

There are some reports out there of higher-than-expected failure rates on the graphics processor, and something else I read about on engadget/gizmodo in re: Macbook, but overall, it's a pretty good notebook to use for general computing/interneting.

Like cars, unibodies may be the future of notebook computing. It sure looks nice.

nickb123

Posted Thu Dec 11th, 2008 12:19am Post subject: New MacBooks
Your point about it being no MacBook Pro is interesting, cause aside from the now appearance similarities, I did think the next gen MacBook is just Pro on a budget.

ClareBear

Posted Thu Dec 11th, 2008 7:59pm Post subject: New MacBooks
The main difference is tha tthe new MB has no FW socket, whereas the Pro has an 800......Then again 250 gigs would be a decent size HD for me, but I do play with RAWs.

gjhsu

Posted Thu Dec 11th, 2008 9:11pm Post subject: New MacBooks
Your point about it being no MacBook Pro is interesting, cause aside from the now appearance similarities, I did think the next gen MacBook is just Pro on a budget.

It is, but what sets the Pro apart is pretty significant.

As Clare mentioned, the FW, hard drive, and the big thing, the video card.