Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

4orty2

Posted Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 6:01pm Post subject: New Sherlock Holmes movieS
I read an article on sky news today saying that they are making two new Holmes movies; one with Robert Downey jr as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson and the other one with Sasha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Will Ferrell as Watson.
I honestly can't picture Robert Downey jr as Holmes but I think Jude Law would be a fantastic Watson.
What do you guys think? Any opinions?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Oct 6th, 2008 8:36am Post subject: New Sherlock Holmes movieS
To be honest I can't picture either of them in those roles. The latter film sounds like it's going to be a comedy of some sort. I wanna see Without a Clue again I liked that one. ^_^

Assuming direct control...

ClareBear

Posted Mon Oct 6th, 2008 12:14pm Post subject: New Sherlock Holmes movieS
I think Downey Jr. could work, but i'd question the director with that one. Guy Ritchie?

banter

Posted Fri Oct 10th, 2008 9:06pm Post subject: New Sherlock Holmes movieS
I've always wanted to see David Thewlis as Watson. Not sure who'd be best as Holmes.

McGrew

Posted Sun Nov 9th, 2008 4:27am Post subject: New Sherlock Holmes movieS
I read an article on sky news today saying that they are making two new Holmes movies; one with Robert Downey jr as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson and the other one with Sasha Baron Cohen as Holmes and Will Ferrell as Watson.
I honestly can't picture Robert Downey jr as Holmes but I think Jude Law would be a fantastic Watson.

I think they would all stink, frankly. While Mr. Downey Jr. has a certain experience at portraying a hyperkinetic cocaine fiend, I suspect Jude Law would only accept a Watson role if the "Without a Clue" script was used. I further suspect that a Cohen and Ferrell film of the genre would require numerous groin-kicks, fart jokes and a 1980's-rock soundtrack that might dissuade fans of the Doyle stories from attending the cinema. In addition, I believe that the eye-rolling and mugging-to-camera that passes for acting from the latter two might require a setting the story in a US frat house -- and I don't recall a Doyle story was ever set there...

Charles "I am not an elitist, but that doesn't stop my opinion from being better than yours"