Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nongenderous

Posted Thu Nov 5th, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Hi!
I'm not receiving from the topics that I'm following and have replied to. What's causing this? Is there anything I can do, or is it a temporary glitch?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu Nov 5th, 2009 11:55pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Welcome to the party.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 12:42am Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

I noticed it started yesterday, also. We need our Fry A Day Notifications, please.

PamJH

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 4:36am Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Any notifications would be good. I especially need them for the Christmas project.

gjhsu

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 5:12am Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

I don't know how to fix this issue, but a very good workaround I've found (especially for Fry-A-Day, because I get to see the FULL size pictures ) is to add your favorite thread as an RSS feed.

If you're using Safari, or a web browser that supports RSS feeds, go to your favorite thread, and change the "http://" to "feed://" and bookmark it. It should register as an RSS feed, and you'll get the update in news-feeder fashion.

Like I said, not a proper fix, but a viable workaround for the notification issue.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 6:03pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

gjhsu said:
I don't know how to fix this issue, but a very good workaround I've found (especially for Fry-A-Day, because I get to see the FULL size pictures ) is to add your favorite thread as an RSS feed.

If you're using Safari, or a web browser that supports RSS feeds, go to your favorite thread, and change the "http://" to "feed://" and bookmark it. It should register as an RSS feed, and you'll get the update in news-feeder fashion.

Like I said, not a proper fix, but a viable workaround for the notification issue.

Found out that if you go into your profile, there's an RSS link there. I see BIG STEPHENS.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

gjhsu

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 3:05am Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Fryphile said:
Found out that if you go into your profile, there's an RSS link there. I see BIG STEPHENS.

That's the way I like my F-A-D

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 2:33pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Hey Fryphile and Gjhsu. When I click RSS feed this is what I get.

Is there something I should do to make it look like a real page and show me pictures? I am sure there is something I should be doing, but I don't know what it is. Thanks. Oh, and I am using Firefox (just in case my browser makes a difference).

gjhsu

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 3:30pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Woah, freaky! What browser are you using?

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 4:27pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Firefox. I always thought that was the way RSS feeds were supposed to look until I heard you and Fryphile talking.

tallyg

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 6:07pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Ginj, it appears your viewing the code... can't see the image properly but it appears to say it has no style associated with it, which makes me think it can't find the stylesheet and so the browser doesn't know how to display the feed...

I could be wrong though.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 7:17pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Yes, tallyg, you are absolutely right, that is the problem. And it is that way on my netbook too. So I do I tell the computer what stylesheet to associate with this feed?

tallyg

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Hmm, I know nothing about XML, only a bit about HTML and CSS. If it did need a stylesheet, the web designers would of put one in. Did a quick search and seems that it shouldn't need a stylesheet.

Em, what version of Firefox are you running? Is it the same on every RSS feed or just certain threads? Have you tried viewing it through another browser?

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 9:21pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

tallyg said:
Is it the same on every RSS feed or just certain threads? Have you tried viewing it through another browser?

Thank you for your help, tallyg, this is the sentence that made all of the difference. I was hitting the RSS feed under my Favorites, but when you said that I noticed that there is an RSS feed link at the top of each thread. When I clicked on that it seemed to work fine. Thank you very much.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Nov 9th, 2009 1:40pm Post subject: Not receiving any notifications

Back to the OP - how do we get notifications? I'm posting & ticked the 'add this thread to favourites' so have no ideas!

I have a cunning plan!