Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

boredofsuburbs

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 2:39pm Post subject: Numb
5/10 is better than 4,
To be switched off and blind to reality should be preferred to harm.
The cushion and blankets of technological escapism provide comfort,
But also perhaps an alternative to the rat race,
a muse that excludes shame, embarassment or pain
A choice, contradicting obsession with financial gain,
To read Wilde or to watch QI, must be preferred to the slog till you die?
I fear the bankers, admins and bureaucrats are the ones living a lie.
A life lacking ups or downs, is it better than zeros or tens,
If you view life for one minute through my bipolar lense
I for one desire numbness and beige,
Against the emotions of passion and rage.

duno

Posted Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 1:05am Post subject: Numb
This is first post ever, on any web site. I have resently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and can fully appreciate yor poem. I'm sick of the rollercoaster and want it to stop. Thanks for your insight. Keep your chin up.

gadgetgirl

Posted Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 11:53am Post subject: Numb
I don't honestly know if I have a condition of any kind, I do sometimes get incredible lows where I don't really care much about anything (I don't want to hurt myself, just don't care if something does hurt me and get a bit reckless). But I don't think I'd want to give up those days when I feel on top of the world and feel like I can do anything.

That would be me.

duno

Posted Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 6:26am Post subject: Numb
I miss the highs (in a manner of speaking). The feeling of taking on the world and winning, but never the depths of the lows. Still, every day feels like a battle but you go on. Keep your chin up.

Whirlygigg

Posted Tue Nov 4th, 2008 12:48am Post subject: Numb
I really understood your poem. - I know that going up and down constantly, and having no choice in the matter is exhausting - and makes you desperate for something calm or anything other than an extreme.

I thought the visuals drawn were very effective - the last 3 or 4 lines were what made me fully relate to the problem. I hope you continue writing poems (as well as being cathartic - I know others will appreciate them as well)