Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TheTruth

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 10:09pm Post subject: Obsessions
Hello fellow fryers.

I'll just tell you why I'm here..

A couple of years ago I started to realise I was getting a bit weird in school, I started to miss lessons to go and sit on a cliff face and watch things, as I thought I had to do it. That passed, and new things started to happen, such as hallucinations, hearing things, rapid mood changes. I've noticed these things gettting worse as time goes on and new symptoms arising ect. I finally broke down in school and was took to the doctors and he refferred me to a childs psych hospital, but I think I was in denial and only went once. Last year I totally lost it and went searching the streets for help, my doctors surgery turned me away saying "you need an appointment". I calmed down that day and was referred to The Early intervention service, they've helped me so much in the past few months, even though I was put on a adult psych ward for a suicide attempt. At the time of the attempt, I didn't know what mood I was in, and couldn't get to a mood, be it low or high. The doctors said it was either bipolar or schizophrenia..I'm on medication now

One of the new 'symptoms' I've been experiencing are obsessions to people, people I don't know off the tv. At first i thought it was just because I found these people attractive. But I started to get too attached to them. When my friends wanted me to go out with them, I would stay in because I thought thats what the person wanted, as if I were emotionally attached to her and she wouldn't want me to go out. And when girls found me attractive (god knows why) I would tell them that I'm already seeing someone..
Its got to the point of me going into a state of total nothingness, just walking around aimlessly. Getting more depressed thinhking I'm in love with this person..

I just wanted to know if anybody else here has experienced this, and what they have done to tackle it. Because I don't want it to get to the point of suicide. As when that mood comes round, there doesn't seem to be anything to stop it, apart from the samaritans, but I don't like to bother them.

Thanks

Jamie

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 10:49pm Post subject: Obsessions
Can't really relate to your experiences (besides being "weird" at school - I think most people have the impression that they are the odd one out; it's a trademark of adolescence), but it sounds like you need a counselor.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 10:58pm Post subject: Obsessions
It might be a good thing to describe these ideas to your health team.

"...apart from the samaritans, but I don't like to bother them."

If a friend said to you they were worried about going a bit far would you say "Aww, I wouldn't bother the Samaritans with that!"

I don't know.. I don't think you would, and you're just as important as your friend.

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:12am Post subject: Obsessions
So your doctor can't tell which one you have?

TheTruth

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:16am Post subject: Obsessions
No. They say its still "growing" so they can't come to a diagnosis. Worryingly enough

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:19am Post subject: Obsessions
The symptoms that Truth has maybe complicated and overlapping John...

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:21am Post subject: Obsessions
No. They say its still "growing" so they can't come to a diagnosis. Worryingly enough

You could try cutting out those things that seem to set you off. Don't watch TV or listen to radio anymore.

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:21am Post subject: Obsessions
Yeah sounds right you got more chance of getting a diagnosis from a cashier in sainsburys.
If your not happy with what your being told nudge them a bit i got some addresses if you want them.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:27am Post subject: Obsessions
Yeah sounds right you got more chance of getting a diagnosis from a cashier in sainsburys.

Im puszzled JV how you think that when the DDSM (US diagnostic tool) is a thousand pages long. Seems a bit as if you think doctors/psychs do it for fun or something?

If your not happy with what your being told nudge them a bit i got some addresses if you want them

Addresses of what? Share them - intriguing

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:28am Post subject: Obsessions
Well I dont want to be a kill joy but as much as doctors are not always reliable or fast in their diagnosis - I dont think ALL doctors are bad. They may have their reasons (though that is not at all helpful to you, Truth.) as long as they dont just drop you, that they still provide support and a service so that you are not alone, then maybe it will work out....

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:30am Post subject: Obsessions
yes your right crazy not all

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:35am Post subject: Obsessions
theres something here foremost about staying safe Truth.

Diagnoses are okay but as CIAB says they are not always clear cut. The key thing is to be in alliance with health professionals. They say 'you are the expert on being you, we are the experts on helping you understand being you'

TheTruth

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:39am Post subject: Obsessions
Well, at the moment it feels like they have just sent me away from hospital and just left it at "well, maybe you have this, but maybe you don't" kind of thing.
I've got a psych nurse that visits me every week, but I hear nothing from the doctors. When and if I do, its just to see if I need more meds.
But whatever they tell me, however they explain things, when my mood changes either way, I just dismiss it and go along thinking whatever the mood wants me to be...Thanks for taking notice anyway. I guess I'll try to stay away from the tv.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:44am Post subject: Obsessions
your in the UK? i've said this before elsewhere, dont want to be flat but you must have a care plan which states your assessed needs. Your CPN will be checking out how you are, and assessing risk/needs. does this sound right?

TheTruth

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 12:49am Post subject: Obsessions
Yes, that soudns right. Sorry, the thread turned towards a diagnosis, and I really don't know whats happening behind the scenes