Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gnu

Posted Sat Jan 29th, 2011 9:57pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

Be sure to read the new review of Stephan Fry's poetry book , The Ode Less Traveled.

at http://newpoetryreview.blogspot.com/

The New Poetry review

Cafene

poeticnerd1990

Posted Wed Feb 1st, 2012 9:11pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

I just checked this book out of the library, and my mom and I are reading it together!

Words are my savantry

ArleneA

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 9:23pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

This is just a quick little comment about poems; I, from time to time, scribble little poems/odes and well I always feel like the lines have to rhyme in some way; or I feel like I have failed lol....but a poem does not need to rhyme so I don't know why I feel this way but I always have to make it rhyme!

"This is me - don't try and change it..."

ArleneA

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2012 2:12pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

A friend treated me to Stephen Fry's Autobiography today (as I have been 'raving' on about him a lot lol) It is the first autobiography entitled "Moab is my Washpot". Oh my goodness I cannot wait to read this book.

I just love the letter he wrote to himself at the age of fifteen, not to be read until he was twenty-five:-

"Well I tell you now everything I feel now, everything I am now is truer and better than anything I shall ever be. Ever. This is me now, the real me. Every day that I grow away from me that is writing this now is a betrayal and a defeat."

God I love that:)

I must go and start reading this book.

Before I leave this earth, I want to waltz into Waterstones one day and there on the shelf I want to see my book. That is my dream:)

ArleneA

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2012 2:08pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

I was right about the kindness shining from Stephen's eyes. After reading the first few pages of his autobiography, ie. the part where he is on the train heading to the boarding school. Bless him, even at the tender age of 8 he is showing kindness. I am referring to when he is being considerate to a rather nervous 'new boy' (Bunce) going to be starting a term at the said boarding school. How nice of him to do that:)

Graeme W

Posted Tue Jul 3rd, 2012 4:00pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

I have just started reading The Ode Less Travelled and I am really enjoying it. I have got as far as the first few exercises and had a go. The results can be seen here:

http://mypoetryandstories.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/t.....meter.html

Senex72

Posted Sun Jan 13th, 2013 2:11am Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

I am learning from thus excellent book, or rather basking in its unfolding knowledge. I have come up against my limitations though. I looked at the much-puffed Vahni Capildeo

JOURNAL OF ORDINARY DAYS

I.

Do I look like the sort of person who’s not fit
to go out and buy a pen on her own? The phrase
“May I borrow a biro” is unspeakable
for its vocalic ugliness. The task in hand,
this third daze of work, is dis- and rearranging,
suspecting, assessing, keying in and tagging
all the historical spellings of the verb QUIT.
“That can’t be a lot? QUIT is such a little verb?”
But people have been quitting for centuries, and
especially in Scotland, all in different ways.
So this third daze I break from work to buy a pen.
Let it be an ethical biro. I set out
for the fair trade Quaker shop. The assistants talk
more than I do, showing me pens two fingers thick
encrusted like scary rhinestoneri charging
pink-purple, delivering jabs in the eye
to mass-produced-capitalist-consumerist-
conformity. But not suitable to be housed
in the zoo of QUIT. Sorry, silent, cash intact,
I look elsewhere, and not far off the ordinary
rewards this initiative: sell-it-all, old-fashioned,
like nineteen fifty-three. nearly customer-free,
a newsagent of the English variety.
The cardboard cradles for goods on these shelves wouldn’t
aspire to store shoes, let alone to be reborn
as cut-out stars for a wonky schoolhouse mobile.
With reverence for age, I abstract a biro
not quite dried up. I softfoot over to the queue.
So form a line of one, outnumbered by cashiers.
The older assistant keeps things under control.
But can’t seem to stop his helper singing singing
Singing to him lovingly in a high-pitched tone,
“I’m going to put you in chains and take you home.
I’m going to put you in chains and take you home.”
Neither raises his voice; nor does the one quiet down.
In a queue of one I shall queue, change in hand, wait,
queue in a queue of one, however long it takes.
Anything is better than going back to QUIT.
I can buy a pen on my own. I’m fit.

I thought anapaests, truncated etc , some iambs, but really can't make much sense of it metrically.

One critic writes "Much of her poetry reads like prose, which in fact it is" and another comment is her inability to escape her solipsism.
Can anyone help please?If not, is it worth publishing as poetry rather than autobiographical snapshota ?

Senex72

Posted Mon Jan 14th, 2013 5:26pm Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

Just to say re: Journal of Ordinary Days I know about "free verse", which I suspect came in around 1380 with Wycliffe's Psalms, just before Chaucer's iambs; but that has rythm, stress, rhymes - Eliot for example with a sort of chorus "Hurry up please it's time", or again in Hollow Men: and a seriousness as a communication; or it stands against a bakground of poetic traditiion (look at Eliot's notes). It is not just narrative prose withg neologisms and fancy type. Wouldn't this one have been better as a ballad? "Come listen dear poets come listen to me, A tale of a biro I'll tell,,,"At least an attempt at form would distill the narrative meaning, of which I guess here there isn't much beyond the mushroom words!

Senex72

Posted Fri Jan 25th, 2013 10:50am Post subject: Ode Less Traveled Poetry

Senex72 said:
Just to say re: Journal of Ordinary Days I know about ree verse; which I suspect came in around 1380
However, looking again I think this poem is a sad immitation of Bridges lengthy Triumph of Beauty: written with 12 syllables to a line and no regard to stress or rhyme-pattern. What a clever girl to know these obscurities! SoI answer my own query it seems, and drop out.