Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

flookwit

Posted Fri Feb 1st, 2008 10:46pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
OK, so I pinched the title from last weeks Guardian, but 'tis how I feel.
I have reached Friday and am about to implode. I am so pissed off, but as usual, I don't like to offend. And, as usual, my anger turns inwards. And as usual, I start feeling paranoid and I probably write a shite load of grass-navy. But I need to get this off my chest, and no doubt I will regret it if I survive until morning.

Why do so many people assume that if you are well known, a celeb. or a star, you cannot have a private life? I don't want to know every little, minute detail of (whichever celeb.'s life is under scrutiny) their life. Specific example that has irked me tonight? Someone who wants to know exact details of how Stephen got his fracture. Comeonnnnnnn! Get a life, puhleeaze!

Does it really matter so much? He's shown the bloody X-rays for doGs sake. In all likelihood, he just tripped. Nothing remarkable to report on or waste words on. End of story. Fine. Satisfied?

The other option is rather less than credible - he bet a mannatee that he could beat it at arm wrestling. Now how likely is that, eh?

Next, on my fuse wire that leads to my implosion, is how irritating it is to see trolls appear. Anywhere. I can ignore them, but it pisses me off when I see that other people cannot see them for what they are and they respond to them.

Similarly, people joining forums who then turn out to be selling something via a website link, or advertising a site through their link, or advertising a political group all by gaining membership and posting a seemingly innocuous thread.

I don't like ambiguity or pretence. I don't like contumely replies and a number of other things, all very idiosyncratic.
I am quite sure everyone else has their list of dislikes and they may be opposite of mine.

I am writing this here because I need to grumble and I think I will probably not return to the forum, certainly for the near future. I am quite sure you'll all breathe easier

Red Raven

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 3:21am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
What the hell happened while I was gone today? :'(

The same things piss me off by the way. I can't stand getting all the details of people I don't know. It's the same on tv as it would be if I coworker explained in depth the detail of his/her aunts surgery and all problems leading up to it.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 11:42am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!

I am writing this here because I need to grumble and I think I will probably not return to the forum, certainly for the near future. I am quite sure you'll all breathe easier

Wait?! Whatwhatwhat!? What's happened? What is it that's set this off? I can think of a few threads but they're only a few and it's not worth quitting a good forum if you enjoy it just because of a thread with a hidden agenda. It's not a nuisance or a problem where every other thread is an ad in disguise or anything. It's not at that stage yet and hopefully will be nipped in the bud before it get's worse (if it's going to). The things you listed I find annoying too but that's not going to make me quit the forum. I nearly quit when meekychuppet was intimidating everyone because if that's how the forum was always going to be I didn't want to be a part of it but fortunatly he and one or two others were nipped in the bud and we now have a nice lovely kind and caring forum I'm proud to be a part of. I've quit so many other forums because people were just mean, unkind and arrogant towards others and I've had it with talking to people like that. It's not worth it.

Assuming direct control...

flookwit

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 2:56pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Deleted

masquerade

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 4:37pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
-sends flookwit lots of virtual hugs- Unfortunately they don't have quite the same effect that real ones do, for which I apologise, but it's the best I can do from sitting in front of a computer screen. I always hate knowing that a friend is unhappy, especially when I can't do a lot to help them... I'm always here if you need somebody to rant at though, I'm good at listening.

Please don't leave flookwit, I'm sure that things will improve if you give it a few days. You are a valued member of the forum and it wouldn't be the same without you. Also, I'm sorry if I have had any part in irritating you, I seem to be annoying everyone at the moment (my best friend hasn't spoken to me for a month because I'm annoying her although as far as I'm aware I'm being the same as always... but this thread isn't about me, it's about you).

Red Raven

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 4:42pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!

Please don't leave flookwit, I'm sure that things will improve if you give it a few days. You are a valued member of the forum and it wouldn't be the same without you.

I agree! I would miss you terribly if you didn't come back. Take the time you need but please reconsider being gone forever. No one else can make me laugh quite like your posts do. I love your sense of humor!

Sunrise

Posted Sat Feb 2nd, 2008 4:55pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Most people don't listen to others when in a group and it's refreshing to read through and see that people are actually listening.

Hey, it drives me insane when this happens so if, for example, you're having an incredibly bad day, go for the rant I'd prefer it as it's honest.

Hope to speak to you again when things look better and as I'm new to this, also looking forward to the laughter as well.

Take care (in a good way).

flookwit

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 12:13am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Deleted

Red Raven

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 12:34am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Flook...It's not fair to compare our moods or how bad we feel. It implies a lack of balance in our importance and that's just not true.

Do what you have to do to take care of yourself and when you feel better(and you will) come back us and we'll pick up right where we left off. In the meantime, hopefully something can be done about the things that have annoyed you because frankly, now that they've been brought to my attention, they are kinda starting to piss me off too. Some are weirding me out to be honest.

Millions of hugs to you!

ysabella

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 8:39am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Flook, that kind of crapola happens on every forum, unless it's totally sealed off from the Interwebs. What makes a forum good is the interesting posts from the sincere people, as well as the work of the admins and mods selectively blocking and cleaning up.

Stay around and help us make it good!

Or else the terrorists win!

masquerade

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 11:30am Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Awww no problem flookwit, I'm always available for a hug. I have a really cute mental image of you snuggled up with your computer now (although as far as I can remember I have no idea what you look like... in my mind's eye you're very good looking, to match your lovely personality).

I hope you feel better soon hun, we'd all hate to lose you as a forum member, and since personally I have no other way of speaking to you I would lose you as a friend too and I really don't want that.

flookwit

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 3:15pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Deleted

Maren

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 4:05pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
it would be a great pity if you would leave, flookwit - and I'm glad to read that you will stay or rather come back when you feel better.
And don't worry about the trolls - just imagine what a most lonely pleasure it must be to sit in front of the computer and think about strategies how to offend, bother or spoof other people - and then to find out that all the poor plans don't work.
Trolls are unimportant and uninteresting, they vanish as fast as they appear and tomorrow nobody will remember them - at most they show how a forum closes together.

I hope you feel better soon!

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 4:27pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
I'd be very sad, too, if you left for good. However long it will take you to get better, I'm looking forward to having you back with us!

Stercus Accidit

Posted Sun Feb 3rd, 2008 4:29pm Post subject: Offer Fox sake!
Now Flook

Some people are just put on this planet to annoy others. They have no real function in life other than that. Can I echo what others have said on this thread? Your contribution to this forum is invaluable, your clear calm considered advice is of incalculable worth. The forum would be a poorer place without you.

Rant and rage, but always stay with us, please?

Yours

SA xxx