Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Shyamz

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 6:39pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
This part of the forum started me thinking about the various anti-smoking campains, and uber-earnest non-smokers that are seeming to get more and more publicity for their cause these days, particularly since the public smoking ban, (which seems to mean very little to the public...at least from what I've seen).

I am a non-smoker. Always have been. But I am more than that...I'm a "Don't care non-smoker".
In other words, I truly don't give a monkeys if anyone I know or work with chooses to smoke around me...or near me...or ever in fact.
Yes we all know it's a dangerous habit, we've all known for some time. As have the smokers. To me this just means that far from trying to save the poor little mis-informed lambs, as some non-smokers seem to think they are doing, that they are in fact as aware of the dangers as we are, and can make their own decisions.

But for some smokers, we are all the same. The smoke-wafting, seruptitious-coughing, portable-soap box carrying, occupiers of the self-appointed morall high ground that only very few non-smokers actually are.
I truly LOATHE the fact that every smoker feels the need to ask my permission to smoke, IN A PUB (well, not any more obviously) or IN THEIR OWN HOMES!!!, simply because I don't do the same. It allways brings to my mind these small, weak, lifeless wispy W.I types, who have little else to do in their lives, and as such no other way of feeling important without trying to impose their own desires on others.

Jack Dee's "You Smoke, I Choke" badge-wearer, Billy Connoly's Battleaxe in a Scottish Hotel Bar, all true examples of this type of person. But who now seem to have been adopted as the public face of the non-smoker.

We are NOT all this way...in fact, most of us care very little about what you do, so please don't think of these people when you ask me, or any of us for permission to smoke.

damellhine

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 1:33am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
Well, kiss-me-quick, you luciously 'UN-JUDGEMENTAL' person...............

As a smoker of 30 years I have grown soooooooooo tired of the moralistic gits that lecture me about my "vice"............

Your attitude is thoroughly refreshing - and considering that you're a non-smoker.........wow!!!!!

I have to say, to be fair, that smoking is killing me with COPD (Google it if you can be bothered but really there's no need to bother).........

Nevertheless, a few more people like you with that delicious attitude of "live and let live" - or in my case "live-and-let-die" would sure make me feel a whole lot less guilty about what I've done to myself....

And why SHOULD I feel guilty - it's a bit bloody late for that! lol

Thank you, whoever you are. For your un-biased honesty.

Regards / Gareth

AlanNotHim

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 5:31am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
I used to smoke. I quit. I still crave it, especially when I am in a particularly self-destructive mood.

And not just the regular flavor of self-destruction. I have asthma. Smoking HURTS, yet I crave it in the blackest of moods.

But it is an addiction. I was taught that picking on addicts was in poor taste.

\"Life is not all champaign. Sometimes it is real pain.\"

joan

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 6:01am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
My husband was a heavy smoker until 3 years ago. I never smoked, but I used to light his fags for him in the car, and sit companiably with him as he smoked away in our lounge room. But it DID affect me: my eyes ran and I would cough. It also took a huge chunk of the family budget. Fellow workers used to smoke, and it reduced our working conditions quite heavily. When I became pregnant with my youngest child, I had to leave my job as I worked in a small office with two chain smokers and the smoke made me ill (you can feel sick a lot quicker when pregnant).
It never occured to me to ask any of them to not smoke in front of me.

So, even when people seem OK about you smoking, they might just be easy-going, non-judgmental people who are suffering, nevertheless.

I love today's non-smoking rules: work conditions, eating out conditions, and home conditions have all improved hugely

shatzi

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 6:09am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
Of course being in a smoke filled room bothers my own asthma, but it's my choice to be someplace where there is smoking. I don't smoke, I quit years ago, but I wouldn't walk into a place and then demand everyone else stop on account of me. I've seen that.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 9:18am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
If I cough it's because I can't help it, it irritates my throat (I have asthma too). I don't demand people to stop smoking. It's their choice to smoke and I made mine never to smoke. What's the point in ragging on everyone's habits? People make their own choices whether it be straight-edge, drink alcohol, smoke, eat unhealthy food and not exercise or whatever. People make their own decisions and have to live with the consequences of their choices. Don't make the choice for them.

Assuming direct control...

Saturn

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 10:16am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
People have the right to smoke all they want, but they don't have the right to force their habit in other people's faces without asking their consent., they have the right to damage their own health, but not other people's.

A trite comparison perhaps but its the same with religion. You can believe whatever the hell you want just don't force it on me, and that's fine.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 10:26am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
Oh yeah don't get in other people's faces about your choices. I hate for instance those smokers who say selfish and mean things about non-smokers like they shouldn't come in the pubs so we can smoke! Mmmm so now all of a sudden you have the right to deny people from going somewhere they want to go just because you don't agree with their personal choice? Grow up!

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 12:29pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
I don't see what right people really have to have a go at smokers. It's personal choice at the end of the day!

Everyone in my family and most people in my circle of friends smoke and i wouldn't dare tell them to put it out if i was hanging around them. The only minor complaint i have is if i'm eating and someone is smoking whilst sitting next to me, you tend to get a lung full of smoke as you take a bite.

I think the new law they are trying to pass in Britain at the moment is stupid, they want to fine people for smoking in their car!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 5:13pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
Possibly it comes from living in California for 22 years but I support public smoking bans. The city I live in now (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) also recently installed a ban and despite the worries of the opposition the world did not, in fact, end. In fact most bars and clubs have reported increased patronage. Having grown up indoctrinated into a system of non-smoking (I don't even remember a time when it was legal, in fact) I can never quite comprehend areas that allow smoking; it's dangerous, smells foul, and is generally detrimental to EVERYONE, not just the person who chooses to smoke.

Re: Smoking bans in cars. California is trying this too, except it only applies to vehicles that include children under the age of 18. There was an attempt to ban it full stop on the basis that it provides a distraction to drivers but it pretty much got shut down by cell phone and fast food interests.

Shyamz

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 4:53pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
As far as I can recall, there used to be a non-smoking room in most pubs in London, (I don't know if the same applies to other countries) and this idea seemed to work fine. Famillies could all have a night out together, away from the smoke, and anyone who fancied a quick one could pop into the bar next door to light up.

What was wrong with that system? The smokers were happy, and any non-smoker who wanted a drink or a meal could have one without having to sit in the smoke. And I've never known a smoker who DIDN'T put out their ciggarette, or ask before lighting one, when people were eating, as most smokers I've met seem to have very good manners when it comes to eating out!

Even though the pub has allways been seen as the traditonal smoker's hideaway, it's allways-at least in my experience-made concessions for others, and I never suffered as a child or adult, because we allways had somewere to get away from the smoke.

It's for those reasons that I think the pub ban was a step too far to be honest, as I don't think a landlord or lady should be punished if their establishment provides a nice area for non-smokers to drink. Particularly now that there are even fewer places were a smoker is allowed to smoke.

Shyamz

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 4:59pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
I've just realised that I may have spelled ciggarette wrong, as Iv'e just realised that I'm not allowed to type "f#g" in the smoking sense. X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Oct 4th, 2007 11:39pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
As far as I can recall, there used to be a non-smoking room in most pubs in London, (I don't know if the same applies to other countries) and this idea seemed to work fine. Famillies could all have a night out together, away from the smoke, and anyone who fancied a quick one could pop into the bar next door to light up.

What was wrong with that system? The smokers were happy, and any non-smoker who wanted a drink or a meal could have one without having to sit in the smoke. And I've never known a smoker who DIDN'T put out their ciggarette, or ask before lighting one, when people were eating, as most smokers I've met seem to have very good manners when it comes to eating out!

Even though the pub has allways been seen as the traditonal smoker's hideaway, it's allways-at least in my experience-made concessions for others, and I never suffered as a child or adult, because we allways had somewere to get away from the smoke.

It's for those reasons that I think the pub ban was a step too far to be honest, as I don't think a landlord or lady should be punished if their establishment provides a nice area for non-smokers to drink. Particularly now that there are even fewer places were a smoker is allowed to smoke.

Were these rooms divided by a low barrier from the smoking section? Or did they have a shared heating and/or AC system? If they had either the air was shared, which was the reason behind the CA ban (there had been some talk of allowing smoking areas if they were detached and operated on their own enviro. systems)

damellhine

Posted Fri Oct 5th, 2007 6:08pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
This was never a debate about whether smoking in public is right or wrong.

Obviously the majority of non-smokers will be against - the smokers...for!

The point of this thread which interested me was that SOME non-smokers are quite relaxed about the whole thing.

That is what impressed me.

As regards separate smoking areas and whether or not non-smokers have to breathe at least some of the same air, well of course it's inevitable this is going to happen to a degree.

But then I don't suppose the cyclist felt too cool about breathing in the fumes from the exhaust of my lorry when I overtook him.

Fact of the matter is smoking is bad, active or passive, this we all know.

The fascinating thing about this topic was the degree of tolerance, or lack thereof.

Enjoyed the subject, guys. Thanks

"Cold Turkey"

http://www.bebo.com/Chapters.jsp?ChapterId=4046897.....4046803538

Shyamz

Posted Sat Oct 6th, 2007 5:53pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!

Were these rooms divided by a low barrier from the smoking section? Or did they have a shared heating and/or AC system? If they had either the air was shared, which was the reason behind the CA ban (there had been some talk of allowing smoking areas if they were detached and operated on their own enviro. systems)

From what I can remember, most were seperate rooms, as this was still in the days of old-fashioned pubs, with lots of seperate areas, and most had not been renovated into the kind of open plan "relaxation spaces" that most pubs and bars are these days, in which the smoke still drifts, no matter how far away you are!
Most of the pubs I remember as a kid from the various family functions I've been bored stiff at had their own seperate serving area in these rooms, and weren't tiny, dark dingey box rooms, but were large and heated.
A seperate air conditoning system for an indoor smoking room is an interesting idea, after all, some people find it excrutiating or impossible to give up smoking even if they want to, but they shouldn't be punished and prevented from spending time with their friends on a night out because of it.
Perhaps things are turning around, and one day "smoking rooms" will be the norm, just as non-smoking rooms are now.