Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Oct 7th, 2007 12:25am Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
From what I can remember, most were seperate rooms, as this was still in the days of old-fashioned pubs, with lots of seperate areas, and most had not been renovated into the kind of open plan "relaxation spaces" that most pubs and bars are these days, in which the smoke still drifts, no matter how far away you are!
Most of the pubs I remember as a kid from the various family functions I've been bored stiff at had their own seperate serving area in these rooms, and weren't tiny, dark dingey box rooms, but were large and heated.
A seperate air conditoning system for an indoor smoking room is an interesting idea, after all, some people find it excrutiating or impossible to give up smoking even if they want to, but they shouldn't be punished and prevented from spending time with their friends on a night out because of it.
Perhaps things are turning around, and one day "smoking rooms" will be the norm, just as non-smoking rooms are now.

It would be quite the scenario. As technology advances and if energy costs ever drop again this might well be the solution that people come around to. The city I live in now has smoking rooms/parlours. The license are veeeeeery limited, but it seems to have a certain appeal to both sides of the issue.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 7:22pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
I used to smoke for awhile, I now only smoke when Im highly pissed and out for the night. I personally dont care if someone smokes as it is not up to me what they do themselves but
A) noone is allowed smoke indoors in our house, they can go out the back if they want. It is our environment and we dont like the smell or the itchy eyes (personally it dosnt bother my breathing in the short term).
B) Im in favour of the public (inc pubs and clubs) ban on smoking, I think it is fair and I also think it has worked out pretty well in Ireland. I dont mind going outside to have a smoke when Im out, I understand why people dont want it around them and I respect that.
C) I dont believe people are entitled to do anything they want in this world regardless, I believe if you choose to do something you also take on the consequences - if you choose to smoke, you have to be respectful to those around you and consider their needs as it is your choice in relation to YOUR health but not theirs. they have the right to a clean environment over your right to smoking. simple as....

Hanny

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 8:19pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
im 22, dont smoke and never have done. just like crazy in a box no one is aloud to smoke in my home, although thats my boyfriends idea. he is an ex smoker and is worse around smoke than me!!! his poor eyes get all itchy!! i dont care if people smoke around me, as long as they arent literaly blowing there smoke in my face then im not offended by it. but my boyfriend on the other hand hates it. which is ok. he started at 14 stopped last year at the age of 28 and dislikes being around it.
iv found ex smokers hate smoke more than non smokers! they are the ones who poisened themselves youd of thought they would be use to it!!

we shouldnt of had a complete smoking ban. instead places should of had better ventilation systams added by law to deal with the amount of smoke produced or a complete 'smoking room' made available where people can go rather than gathering around outside in large groups blocking doorways. which i find worse!! just creates a problem with fag stubbs being littered everywhere

Godfather

Posted Thu Nov 8th, 2007 4:04pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
So let me get this straight. People want to outlaw smoking in pubs because of the ill effects upon their health? How serious about your health can you be if you are out drinking in a pub? Especially if you are out to "hook up", as the kids say, thereby running the risk of contracting an STD.

I miss the 70s. People back then knew that they wouldn't live forever and enjoyed smoking and drinking properly. So you don't die of cancer, congratulations, now you can waste away in a nursing home from Alzheimer's or dimentia or some sort of organ failure that requires you to spend the rest of your days hooked up to a machine.

If a pub wants to advertise itself as a smoke free zone, or if they want to cater to smokers, it is the business of the owner not some government agency, IMHO.

whatonearth

Posted Thu Nov 8th, 2007 5:43pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
So let me get this straight. People want to outlaw smoking in pubs because of the ill effects upon their health? How serious about your health can you be if you are out drinking in a pub? Especially if you are out to "hook up", as the kids say, thereby running the risk of contracting an STD.

ahem ahem

there is the option of not drinking alcohol, and having a few drinks with your friends once in a while is not going to do any serious damage.

having said that, i don't really mind if people smoke in pubs or not. smoking masks the smell of farts and BO and it feels more pubby, but then it's also unhealthy, your clothes smell and it makes me want to smoke too which i shouldn't do.

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Nov 8th, 2007 6:32pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!

ahem ahem

there is the option of not drinking alcohol, and having a fewf drinks with your friends once in a while is not going to do any serious damage.

having said that, i don't really mind if people smoke in pubs or not. smoking masks the smell of farts and BO and it feels more pubby, but then it's also unhealthy, your clothes smell and it makes me want to smoke too which i shouldn't do.

especially the "ahem ahem"

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

whatonearth

Posted Thu Nov 8th, 2007 8:42pm Post subject: Oh for GOD'S SAKE!!!
i was politely clearing my throat what with all the fumes and everything i'm sitting in

and not to mention the extra f i accidentally put in, which i've now removed but will be there forever in your quote!