Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

panda

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 3:10pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hi Derek

Going back to what you said about mania being like steam in a pressure cooker which needs to be released slowly, do you think that this can also apply to anger?

Many thanks

Panda

Fourth Feline

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 4:12pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hi Panda,

Good question. Upon brief reflection, yes. I tend to get agitated sometimes with the BP II, which has the potential to turn into anger - and I find the same 'trickery' works on Mania/Anger/Anxiety.

For me it's the weightlifting, or something physical that lets me release the pressure onto it like a blasting pad. This is usually a quiet, focused, brief and
( if necessary) - repeated ritual - until the chemical component of the phenomena is dissipated.

I ( think I ) remember you saying that running only made you more manic.

My own regime is 'borrowed' from a Russian weightlifter. I pick a weight I can only pull off the floor 6 times and another weight I can only push overhead 6 times.

I then Pull the floor weight 5 times, rest 3-5mintues, then pull 5 more.

Repeat with the 'Overhead Push' weight. with the same rest periods.

All this takes me only about 20 or so minutes, but the concentration is intense and the after effect is feeling pleasantly drained of excess energy but still refreshed in outlook after less than half an hour. Like I said, you can safely repeat it again later in the day, until the desired effect is reached.

I like the briefness and intensity, because it requires a calming of the mind in order to summon the concentration that avoids potential injury. It also has a 'tonic' yet relaxing effect on the central nervous system. It is in fact the way the Eastern Block lifters train the nervous system to 'fire' harder at the same body weight. It therefore induces a proven post training relaxation reflex.

I am not suggesting that you have to use the weightlifting idea, just something that is shorter, more intense, and requires complete focus, rather than something that may build -rather than dissipate the extra 'steam'.

Sorry if this rather long answer seems to have veered off your initial enquiry, but when I say :

- "yes it does" (for me)

- I like to be clear as to exactly what on earth I am basing my methods and self administered 'therapy' on.

I can also ( to a lesser degree) use long walks that leave me also pleasantly drained. If any mania/agitation/anxiety is left ( for now) - my walk has probably been too short. I prefer the "Short,Sharp,Shock" version better though. Because of the relaxation it brings afterwards. Almost like the aftermath of a bodily orgasm.

Nice to hear from you again Panda, I wish you good health.

Derek,

JVONEARTH

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 12:57am Post subject: oh not again...
Sorry for the sway off the thread but i didn't realise how important food played a role in good health...or shall i say the right food.
I found when i cut out all the junk and ate at the right times i felt so much better in many ways.

panda

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 8:09am Post subject: oh not again...
yup, i'd agree with that!

Fourth Feline

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 7:38pm Post subject: oh not again...
Sorry for the sway off the thread but i didn't realise how important food played a role in good health...or shall i say the right food.
I found when i cut out all the junk and ate at the right times i felt so much better in many ways.

Another agreement here.

In addition to which, I was advised (with good effect) to keep regular hours - keeping not only my meals, but also the medications and sleep cycles even and as consistent as I can.

I genuinely seemed to have 'learned' more controllable mood states, from controllable rhythms in the rest of my life.

Just a thought...

Derek.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 7:40pm Post subject: oh not again...
All behavioural responses!

Chris

JVONEARTH

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:58pm Post subject: oh not again...
I had this thing where i just ate when i was really hungry. I have never eaten breakfast alhough now i am trying to....makes me sick.
Because i'm going to sometimes five jobs a day i never just stop to eat. But now i make time .
Taking medication at the same time is good Derek. I was always forgetting but when i got into the routine i was fine.

Aoibheann

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 11:20pm Post subject: oh not again...
I dont understand how intelligent people think clincal depression is 'self absorbsion'... and spending to much time 'in your own head'... it makes me feel sick.
and the funny thing is.. the person in question has studied deppression.. strange isnt it?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 11:48pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hi, i've upset so many people lately here that i'm totally paranoid. That wasn't me saying that was it??

But actually, i agree with yoi Aoib, all my life people have said to me -

"Chris/twat/tosser - you think too much"

and i generally reply

"Actually, honey, I think you don't think enough"

and if it's a boy i generally hitch up my skirt, pout my lips, and flutter at them , so that they freak out as i reach into their secret inhibited repressed same-sex yearnings, and this generally unsettles their braincell, which immediately crashes, and they then hit me generally. Then i know i've got through to them!!

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 10:29am Post subject: oh not again...
I have found though i will mull over and think about and analize something that really doesn't matter but something that is important i just let go by.
Chris.
The forum has so many people with problems, as i have said it's all words on a screen with no sound or emotion.
Things get read and taken the wrong way, I am sure if you could hear someone and the verbal emotion that goes with it then something you read might not sound the way it looks........If that makes any sense
Everybody has an opinion and if that person believes it to be right then you should express it.
At the end of the day if people get the support off the forum then we should feel happy that we have helped because they may not be getting the support in real life.
And i'm sure some people who have been on the edge know that having to wait for an appointment or being misdiagnosed for the first part makes you feel you will never get help.
And at the end of the day no one is a twat ,wanker or whatever .You are just someone with something to say.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 4:05pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hiya JV

I just read your post and kinda think its supportive, but not too sure. I was kind of reflecting on what sweet Aoibh said, that is that people get criticised (in the general world) for having more than half a peanut for a brain (to quote Frank Zappa's daughter).

I completely agree with her (Aoibheann), cos that has been my experience, hence my general reply through the ages that they themselves do not think enough, and that they are rather hurtful to sugest that just cos they are frightened of using their minds, that i should be criticised. This is people in the general world I'm talking about, not any one here, let me make that plain.

Part of the therapeutic reformation of Chris-the mentally-disordered -person has been to come to terms with the view that what these people have said in the past doesn't really matter, and certainly not enough to leave me temporarily crippled emotionally, as it used to.

Having at least two peanuts and possibly a cashew as well for a processor inside my skull - ooh, don't like that word - ...in my cranial casing, i'm really happy, though i suspect slightly hypermanic at the current time [we BPD people cycle too]. So i appreciate your comments JV, and wish to assure anyone who feels affected by my words at anytime that i have every empathy with anyone who is being trashed at the moment by crap responses from the NHS or other country's health services, and that people can often be devastated by how they are dealt with- doG knows it jhappened to me enough for the first four years of non-treatment, I just want people to know that once it gets focused the NHS is absolutely brilliant, and it will eventualklly help a person to meet their potential, the potential that is being subsumed by their mental health.

Stay cool Mr. Bikeman.

Ps used to have a Triumph Trophy - crap crankshaft, but great shape. My friend had a Triton...ooh, lush.

Gives hyper/o manic grin at Fujitsu-Siemans screen and goes off to make more coffee to maintain current state of energy. X-D

panda

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 12:18pm Post subject: oh not again...
I agree with the exercise and keeping regular hours.

Fourth feline - I have just bought some boxing gloves, which I think could be a good form of release/exercise for me!

Regular hours - I am aware of how useful this is. If anyone has any tips on how to achieve this, please let me know.

Thanks
P

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 2:33pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hello again Panda

Good news about the boxing gloves ( and bag or 'pads' ? ). Do please get someone to show you how to make a 'correct' fist to avoid wrist injury/soreness.

( If you are Angela Mao Ying, please disregard that last sentence ...)

It was spooky actually, during my morning stroll, I was thinking that punching a bag till you get tired/level might be a good idea. Like my home weightlifting gear, you can dip in and out of it whenever you want/need/please, without having to rely on a sports centre e.t.c.

As for "keeping regular hours" - Here are a few things I have tried:

Firstly I just identify the end ( or ends ) of the day that are currently inconsistent and use my night time 'Seroquel' dose and/or morning alarm clock to ensure that I tend to fall asleep about 10pm and wake about 8am or thereabouts. You can insert your own hours and sleep duration, as long as they are (reasonably) consistent hours, day upon day.

This 'pretending I'm still at work' routine was recommended by my G.P. as a good way of:

A) evening out the flow of medication in my bloodstream around the clock and
B)gave me a frame work to hold onto when deep depressions tempted me to hide in bed most of the day.

Eventually, the body gets into a rhythm that suits it best and resets itself after a while. For example, now I am given a sleep inducing night time medication, but mornings are lighter again, I do not need the alarm clock.

If you do not/cannot have a soporific night time medication, the act of rising early and taking exercise regularly as a lifestyle choice makes that bed very inviting after darkness falls.

As well as the punch bag for dissipation of mania/anger/anxiety - remember to take longer gentler walks or activities. Remember how children just seem to 'play out' all day and fall asleep easier as a consequence.

The next trick (in the early days ) - is to not fall asleep in the afternoon if you can help it, accumulate tiredness as the day progresses. If you do fall asleep though, don't beat yourself up about it.

From all the above a pattern of regular eating emerges and eventually a nice combination of rising, eating, activity, medication and sleeping occurs. Don't worry if your 'pattern' is not like someone else's, as long as it suits you and nature, who can argue ?

Just as a P.S. - one of my worst enemies is anxiety states upon waking. The best advice I was ever given for this is " when you wake up, get up". The second best advice ( from the same consultant ) was "when anxious, make yourself sweat". By this he meant of course the punch bag, the run, the brisk walk, the lifting of weights etc.

I hope some of that may have proved useful.

Regards,

F.F.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 9:07pm Post subject: oh not again...
Hi Panda about sleeping, what has always been impressed upon me strongly by health people is that regularity in the time of going to sleep and rising from sleep is the key thing more than duration of sleep.

In plainer language if you go to bed generally around a certain time, then keep to that time approximately. There are physiological reasons for this inducing greater 'falling asleep' ability but i don't know what they are

The other thing that is key (i'm told), and it does seem to be right in my experience, is to get up if you can't sleep after an hour or so of trying. Do something for 20 mins or however long, then go back to bed. If you stay in bed 'trying to go to sleep' it tends to make you more wakeful.

Sleep strategies - loads of them - they can make a difference.

In Psychiatric units they are very happy for those who relate to eating to stuff themselves with toast during the couple of hours before people are supposed to crash, because the 'energy of digestion' over the subsequent couple of hours reduces energy available for other purposes, hence you feel 'tired' easing falling asleep.

Going back to the cognitive side of things, anxiety about not falling asleep - when you lie there worrying about all the consequences for the following day of not being able to sleep - all that anxiety is amenable to reframing as much as any other anxiety. A good question for reducing this anxiety is "What is the worst thing that will happen tomorrow if I hva a bad night's sleep?" and generally it will realistically not be as catastrophic as the person has been thinking -> reduction of anxiety -> easier to actually sleep.

Best wishes.

panda

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 11:00pm Post subject: oh not again...
thank you for the exercise, sleeping and pattern keeping tips. i will review them.
i'm now in the pain, kind of homesickness feeling. i need to just go with it and experience it. i'm not used to that, i'm used to doing something - such as phoning that person. but i think it would be better if i don't do that. if i break the pattern and move into something different. do you have experience of pain (of separation) and a good way to release. i don't feel like crying. maybe i just have to be with it.