Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 11:24am Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
I wish I could read Mr Fry´s thoughts to learn what he is making of the media attention his statement has aroused. (But I assume if he felt he wanted/needed to defend himself, he could or would... and, yes, "comments" by e.g. TY are appalling )
I can imagine that he doesn't bother too much. The media 'decided' to blow his lines that are his personal opinion out of proportion and call them bitchy. Tomorrow they'll find something or someone new they can pour their spite over. What bothers me more is that so many people don't mind being manipulated by the media.
I don't know if Fry's right, and honstly I don't care. I don't get what the fuss is about. There are real problems in the world.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 1:29pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
Or is it “cool” to hate Stephen now?

Not on my watch!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 1:39pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
I can imagine that he doesn't bother too much. The media 'decided' to blow his lines that are his personal opinion out of proportion and call them bitchy. Tomorrow they'll find something or someone new they can pour their spite over. What bothers me more is that so many people don't mind being manipulated by the media.
I don't know if Fry's right, and honstly I don't care. I don't get what the fuss is about. There are real problems in the world.

That´s what I meant by not getting entangled ..

People are manipulated by the media in so many ways, as you rightly state, Soupy Twist. What movies to see, what car to drive, ...
On the other hand, the public also uses the media for their own purposes, mainly driven by curiosity. And I find it particularly vile when individuals are harrassed for the sake of quenching the public´s craving for sensation. But for as long as people buy all those gossip magazines, celebrities will not be allowed to utter a single sentence without this sentence later being dissected and analysed by Dr Media! Ever read about famine and other serious problems in those magazines ? Nowadays, documentaries dealing with SERIOUS problems are even awarded prizes (!) What does that tell us? Are those awards meant as an incentive to do more serious documentaries to sensitise and alert people to what is going on around us or would those few documentaries go completely unnoticed unless they were award-winning, making it pretty obvious where priorities are being placed in this day and age? But I guess I am only stating the obvious and expanding - pointlessly - on what Soupy Twist worded so succinctly and accurately: There are real problems in the world.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 8:40pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
Excuse me for being a bit slow on the uptake... I have been very busy at work etc etc .

I haven’t seen the Radio Times article (I’m in Australia) but I assume that it is exactly the same as the one published in the US media – right? I re-read that piece and I simply can’t understand what all the fuss is about. Have you seen the articles in the Guardian (online version) about it? I knew the British media have a reputation for nastiness but the Guardian’s vicious personal attacks, dressed up as “comment”, are frankly incredible. (And not what I naively assumed a ‘quality’ outlet like the Guardian would stoop to.)

What is the agenda against Stephen Fry? From what I can see, this is a gentle, self-deprecating muse on the different styles of British and American actors. Yes, it's self-deprecating -- Fry draws attention to his own acting shortcomings; his comment on accent could also be taken as a swipe at his own image as the posh brainiac. How it can be considered an attack on Hugh Laurie or any other luvvie is beyond me. Besides, Laurie affects an AMERICAN accent in “House”. So, why all the drama?

Of course allusions are being made to a Peter Cook/Dudley Moore-style bust-up, but this is just lazy journalism. People seem to have conveniently forgotten that Stephen has published eight books; Hugh one. When Hugh published his novel, did people say he was jealous, and trying to copy Stephen?

What the hell?! I've finally read the Guardian articles. Bitchy much? What's with all the attacking and making out he's jealous. I've never got any kind of impression that there's any kind of conflict between the two of them, certainly not by the way they talk about each other in interviews. The media can be so petty getting their knickers in a twist over little things. I hate the bloody media and their celebrity gossip and obsession with scandal. It's just nasty, full of bile and a waste of energy as well. Like Soupy Twist said there are more important things that people should be worrying about.

Assuming direct control...

melampus

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 11:54pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
Right on! As someone who trained (but does not practise) as a journalist I am appalled and embarrassed.

But... we also have to remember the laws of supply and demand. There wouldn't be paparazzi, for example, if there wasn't money to be made in selling such pics to magazines consumed by a ravenous public.

What to do? As Soupy Twist said, there are other problems in the world. Maybe we should concentrate on them, rather than what some bitchy journo said.

But I can't help feeling pained when someone I care for is attacked... ... even though I have never met them, and never will.

'Tis a weird world!

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 8:54am Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
It's an odd thing with the media, whenever someone says something thought-provoking or contrary to their own opinion, they are looking for motives: Of course he must be jealous! And they call Fry bitchy?
I've never got any kind of impression that there's any kind of conflict between the two of them, certainly not by the way they talk about each other in interviews.
Exactly. Fry said more than once that he's abolutely thrilled about Laurie's success and that he's happy that his acting talent is finally recognised. No jealousy whatsoever, because that's what friendship is about. Jealousy is such an evil emotion that there's no room for it in a true friendship. Should I ever feel jealous about any of my best friend's achievements something's terribly wrong.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 11:36am Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
Exactly. Fry said more than once that he's abolutely thrilled about Laurie's success and that he's happy that his acting talent is finally recognised. No jealousy whatsoever, because that's what friendship is about. Jealousy is such an evil emotion that there's no room for it in a true friendship. Should I ever feel jealous about any of my best friend's achievements something's terribly wrong.

It pisses me off when people play the jealousy card. It's like some people have such a poor understanding of the full range of human emotions they can't understand anything that goes against their personal beliefs without having to tag jealousy onto it.

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 12:50pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
If you'll permit me a short muse of my own. It occurs to me to wonder who's manipulating whom. I think Our Man understands well how the media work. It might be just possible that he understands well how to work the media.

He and Hugh might be sitting back with their feet up and cackling into their cabernet.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 1:23pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
If you'll permit me a short muse of my own. It occurs to me to wonder who's manipulating whom. I think Our Man understands well how the media work. It might be just possible that he understands well how to work the media.
I agree to both. But I doubt that he did work the media in this case, because he must have had a motive. I don't think anybody would willingly provoke a negative media coverage just for the sake of it. I think even Mr Fry is now and then baffled by how fast one can get negative press. Or he is very well aware of that and just doesn't care enough to refrain from voicing his opinion. Personally, I believe he is too sensitive to be wholly untouched by this.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 24th, 2007 3:17pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
That he just doesn't care would be the most sanguine possibility. Let's hope for that one.

PeterNorman

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 1:04pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
She's clearly scoring off Stephen in that article, so I think its safest to assume that any remarks Stephen made were used to suit her own agenda.

Evidence, as far as I can see, can be seen in her efforts to cast Stephen as bitter about Laurie's success in Hollywood, her dissatisfaction with Stephen's 'connection' with Tony Blair, and the icing on her under-baked cake is the final paragraph, where she comes over all ironic about Stephen's character in Kingdom being "beloved for his compassion and humility".

She's either unable to perceive subtext or is willfully ignoring the actual thrust of Stephen's remarks and is using them to her own ends.

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 2:30pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
She's clearly scoring off Stephen in that article, so I think its safest to assume that any remarks Stephen made were used to suit her own agenda.

Evidence, as far as I can see, can be seen in her efforts to cast Stephen as bitter about Laurie's success in Hollywood, her dissatisfaction with Stephen's 'connection' with Tony Blair, and the icing on her under-baked cake is the final paragraph, where she comes over all ironic about Stephen's character in Kingdom being "beloved for his compassion and humility".

She's either unable to perceive subtext or is willfully ignoring the actual thrust of Stephen's remarks and is using them to her own ends.

Nice introduction to the forum PeterNorman. Welcome.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 5:25pm Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??

He and Hugh might be sitting back with their feet up and cackling into their cabernet.

It would be pretty funny if they decided to stage a sort of mock trans-Atlantic feud and say very odd things about each other to the press.

"Laurie is a sell-out. Also, he smells like feet."
"Fry can (expletive) my (expletive) - oh wait, he *can't*, which is why he's being so pissy."

&c.

melampus

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 8:51am Post subject: Oh Stephen... really??
Nice introduction to the forum PeterNorman. Welcome.[/quote]

Trouser, that rhymes! (Well, it sort of doesn't ,but let's take poetic license.)

You're a poet and you didn't know it!

Also, nice one Peter. Well said. Are you a lawyer??