Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 1:48am Post subject: Oldboy
Quite a while since I saw it so I rented it out this weekend and I've been watching it and bits of it incessantly...too late at night, it gives me the jitters! But then I am quite jittery and I don't really watch that many films so that's not saying too much...

anyway I love this film, it's totally unrealistic but still hits me like a ton of bricks, and the soundtrack is just brilliant, it really sets the mood all the way through.

I didn't even realise that it's supposed to be the film that inspired the virginia tech massacre...well i say 'inspired', you know what i mean...or at least i think i'd read about what people were saying somewhere but i'd forgotten.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 4:36pm Post subject: Oldboy
Also, here is the famous (in terms of the film) corridor fight scene, which luckily also has my favourite part of the soundtrack. It was filmed all in one take, the only CGI part is the knife in his back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEBzKGovGo

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 4:41pm Post subject: Oldboy
I still haven't seen this film despite really wanting to. ¬_¬; It looks like a good film. I must find a cheap copy of it, it's always overly expensive whenever I find it.

Assuming direct control...

whatonearth

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 5:47pm Post subject: Oldboy
I think I saw it for sale for £7 in HMV the other day, not sure if that's the price it is everywhere though. I hate it when the films I want are really expensive, that's why I was so chuffed when I found Amadeus for £3

Telepresent

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 10:01pm Post subject: Oldboy
Ooooh - I love this film!

In terms of it being unrealistic - yeah. But I think it's based on a graphic novel. If you look at the way it's shot, a lot of it looks like it's reproducing angles from a graphic novel, which is cool.

Also, the bad guy has the world's coolest wardrobe. I want it.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Mar 16th, 2008 11:49pm Post subject: Oldboy
Hm I haven't really read that many graphic novels so I can't really look at it from that perspective.

And that wardrobe is pretty cool

but I honestly can't get over how good the soundtrack is, I'm almost afraid to keep listening to it in case the effect wears off. It's stunning.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Mar 19th, 2008 5:26pm Post subject: Oldboy
It is based on a manga also called Oldboy by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya. *click*

Shyamz

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 7:19pm Post subject: Oldboy
Oldboy.

Is.

Genius.

Unrealistic? Well most horrors, thrillers and even general fictions in film are less than realistic, but with a story like this, it's expected for it to be unreal I reckon.

And that FIGHT SCENE!

It's truly the best fight scene I've ever seen, I adore that film.

Whatever you all do, DON'T be tempted to watch the Hollywood remake I hear is on the horizon (hopefully it won't ever happen )

A someone who's seen a lot of Japanese films, I can promise you that the originals will always be the best.

whatonearth

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 8:06pm Post subject: Oldboy
ah yeah i'd heard about the manga, but i haven't read it. i assume it's good!

Oldboy.

Is.

Genius.

Unrealistic? Well most horrors, thrillers and even general fictions in film are less than realistic, but with a story like this, it's expected for it to be unreal I reckon.

And that FIGHT SCENE!

It's truly the best fight scene I've ever seen, I adore that film.

Whatever you all do, DON'T be tempted to watch the Hollywood remake I hear is on the horizon (hopefully it won't ever happen )

A someone who's seen a lot of Japanese films, I can promise you that the originals will always be the best.

oh i realise the 'but' made it seems like i was complaining that it's unrealistic, but that wasn't my intention. i'd just, for some reason, had a bit of a scan through the IMDB board after watching it, and it seemed like the only criticisms people have of it were the fact that it's unrealistic and nobody would ever go to such lengths to get revenge etc...completely missing the point of course but i just thought i'd acknowledge that in case anyone else complained about the same thing.

apparently the remake isn't going to happen, the director didn't think he'd be able to do a good enough job. he has my respect for that.

i know i keep going on about the soundtrack but honestly it gives me chills. gah i sent the DVD back, i'm going to have to buy it soon.

Japanese? It's South Korean!

edit: here's another part of the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsJND6YaJk
the scene where they get in the lift (the final image in this video) is amazing too. just those few seconds.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Mar 21st, 2008 8:28pm Post subject: Oldboy
I hope they don't remake A Tale of Two Sisters either. I'm fed up with the remakes of Japanese films.

Shyamz

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 2:49pm Post subject: Oldboy
I hope they don't remake A Tale of Two Sisters either. I'm fed up with the remakes of Japanese films.

I know, they truly suck balls don't they?!

Shyamz

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 3:00pm Post subject: Oldboy

oh i realise the 'but' made it seems like i was complaining that it's unrealistic, but that wasn't my intention. i'd just, for some reason, had a bit of a scan through the IMDB board after watching it, and it seemed like the only criticisms people have of it were the fact that it's unrealistic and nobody would ever go to such lengths to get revenge etc...completely missing the point of course but i just thought i'd acknowledge that in case anyone else complained about the same thing.

apparently the remake isn't going to happen, the director didn't think he'd be able to do a good enough job. he has my respect for that.

i know i keep going on about the soundtrack but honestly it gives me chills. gah i sent the DVD back, i'm going to have to buy it soon.

Japanese? It's South Korean!

edit: here's another part of the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsJND6YaJk
the scene where they get in the lift (the final image in this video) is amazing too. just those few seconds.

Oh, the IMDB...That explains it

No remake? JOY!!" There's some fantastic news!
Which director said that ? It's nice to at last hear of one who has some respect for the originals.

Yes it is Korean, but it does seem to me that the majority of the remakes-up until recently-were of Japanese films. And the possibility of an Oldboy one seemed to mark a new dark chapter in film plagerism.

Thank goodness something is safe though!!
I loved the timing of that lift door opening, so funny!

*!!Spoiler!!*

Did you guess what the "twist" would be at the end? A mate of mine-in fact most people I've met who've seen it-say they saw it coming...But I'm not so sure...I reckon they're just trying to be a bit cool about it, I thought it was quite well hidden.

st.bipolar

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 3:09pm Post subject: Oldboy
old boy is a great film but did anyone see audition?

Shyamz

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 3:45pm Post subject: Oldboy
Yep, I saw it...own it in fact.

It's pretty good, even if it did take a while to get to the good bits...the bits everyone was watching it for in the first place!

But seriously, it was good. I don't need relentless gore to enjoy a film, and the story was just interesting enough to keep me watching 'till the end.

whatonearth

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 4:18pm Post subject: Oldboy

Oh, the IMDB...That explains it

No remake? JOY!!" There's some fantastic news!
Which director said that ? It's nice to at last hear of one who has some respect for the originals.

Yes it is Korean, but it does seem to me that the majority of the remakes-up until recently-were of Japanese films. And the possibility of an Oldboy one seemed to mark a new dark chapter in film plagerism.

Thank goodness something is safe though!!
I loved the timing of that lift door opening, so funny!

*!!Spoiler!!*

Did you guess what the "twist" would be at the end? A mate of mine-in fact most people I've met who've seen it-say they saw it coming...But I'm not so sure...I reckon they're just trying to be a bit cool about it, I thought it was quite well hidden.

haha well yeah I suppose the IMDB is never the place to go for intelligent discussion...

To be honest, I don't even know which director it was, just that the director, whoever it happened to be, said it wasn't going to happen. I just don't see the point in remaking a film like that. Remakes of classic 'stories' I can understand on principle, because it's the story that's being retold in different ways, but Oldboy (and presumably many of the other Japanese films that have been remade - I should just point out that I am a total coward when it comes to 'scary' films, and haven't seen any of the well-known remakes or originals because most of them seem to be in that genre) just doesn't work like that.

SPOILER!!!

Nope, I didn't get the twist, but then I never really do spot stuff like that...head in the clouds...but even if I did it wouldn't really matter. I enjoyed it much more on the second viewing than the first, which is always a good sign don't you think?