Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Shyamz

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 12:54am Post subject: Oldboy
Agreed, it's great to find a film that can be re-watched again and again without losing any of it's impact.

Try some Takeshi Kitano films, like "Kikujiro" (1999) and "Dolls" (2003) if you want to try something not gory or scary. Or his classic "Hana-Bi" (1998) (yes that one will have a few violent moments, but the underlying story of the cop trying to deal with the death of his daughter and his wife's illness, whilst trying to deal with the violence of his job is very interesting...he takes his wife on the road to enjoy some last few happy moments before she dies).

And take a look at "Afterlife" directed by Hirokazu Koreeda (1998), it's one of my favorites!
It's about this place were people go when they die.
They wait in this kind of limbo untill they can think of their most favourite memory in their lives, which they will live in forever in the afterlife.
They cannot go into the next life untill they pick a memory. Some struggle to think of any nice memories at all, and others cannot pick one from all the good memories they have.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 7:55am Post subject: Oldboy
*needsmoneytobuythesefilms* :'(

If you want scary try playing the Project Zero games. Brilliant and oh so creepy.

Assuming direct control...

st.bipolar

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 2:18pm Post subject: Oldboy
for scary i love clive barkers films like hellraiser or candyman, and yet i find candyman somehow sad

Shyamz

Posted Sat Apr 5th, 2008 6:02pm Post subject: Oldboy
For anyone who was looking for the Oldboy soundtrack, get on Amazon now, it's availible in an import version too...I might get it myself.

For the good film soundtrack fans out there, look there also for any Joe Hisaishi CDs you can find.
He's Kitano's favourite musical colaborator, and also did a lot of Studio Ghibli work.

Have just ordered his Kikujiru soundtrack on Amazon, and fully expect to spend most of next weekend crying...I should know better than going and buying that, but it was only about a fiver.

whatonearth

Posted Sun Apr 6th, 2008 2:03am Post subject: Oldboy
i'm so tempted to buy the soundtrack but it's one of those things that i'm scared to listen to too much in case it loses its effect, you know? even the most amazing music in the world eventually starts to sound a bit stale if you listen to it too much

Shyamz

Posted Sun Apr 6th, 2008 3:49pm Post subject: Oldboy
Oh I don't know, I'm one of those people who will go through a phase of listening to one particular song or album obsessively for days on end (at the moment it's Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker"), but when that's all over I still find myself able to go back to the same albums and songs at a later date and still find them just as good.

If it is that special to you, you'll probably find yourself naturaly rationing your time with it, and just listening to it in special moments...I'm like that with Morrisey and the Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

It is rather nice to be able to apreciate the good film music we find without the distraction of the visuals, isn't it?

whatonearth

Posted Sun Apr 6th, 2008 9:49pm Post subject: Oldboy
yeah, all those actors and lights and stuff can get in the way a bit

i know what you mean, but i still feel like i can never really recapture the experience of hearing something amazing for the first time. the first time i listened to arvo part's alina was a bit like that...it made me cry :-// but it hasn't since, and it probably won't unless i'm in a particularly weepy mood. that doesn't mean i don't think it's great, but it's just familiarity and expectation and all that.