Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ingrid

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 11:16pm Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
Dear Mr Fry,

First of all, I have to apologize for my English. Being Dutch I am very much aware that especially my grammer isn't well, but, I'll do my utmost.

I saw your documentary (thank you for making that) and as a result of that I wanted to tell you about my experience with taking Omega pills. I have a depression as well, and only took medication for one year, because I did not feel it does anything but making me feel like a zombie. So I tried to stay alive for five years without medication. Being able to write to you proves that I did ;-).

I read about omega with regards to heart failure. Being born in a family with lots of problems with the heart, I thought it might do me some good to start taking omega, or at least, it wouldn't kill me. But, as I took the omega for a fortnight I started to feel less depressed, very much less depressed (o, I do hope that my English is not to bad :-// ). The thing that surprised me most was that I was not thinking of how to keep the will to stay alive all the time (because I have two children that do deserve a mother). Forcing myself to stay alive was no longer such a big issue. Though sometimes the feeling does come back, it isn't half the struggle it use to be. And on the whole I became more cheerful than I use to be since I became depressed. I told my therapist about it and he told me that the organisation of mental health in Holland, GGZ, is in the process of testing the effects of omega for people with depressions.

I do not know whether it does the same for someone with a manic depression, after all, I only have a depression without the manic part. But I thought it wouldn't harm to tell you my experience with it (other than having you and anyone else bother to read this struggle with reading my English). For me it works better than the regular medication. And I did not even expect it to happen. If I am out of omega, and not able to buy new because I am to tired to go to the store, the effect of being depressed again starts within two or three days. And I'm back in my own little dark pit. So it is not a medicine in a way that it cures the problem, it only helps to cover it up.

I take omega 3-6-9-pills. But it is only one of them that helps with the depression, the other two are meant to do good for my heart (at least, I hope so). I am sorry to tell you that at this moment I forgot which one was best for depressions, but that information is to be found on the internet somewhere.

Yours sincerely,
Ingrid
The Netherlands

Note, although I do not believe in anonymous postings, I removed my surname, because my children are not aware of my illness. And for now I think they are to young to know. As they grow older I will surely tell them, but I was afraid that this posting somehow would reach them. You never know.

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 6:11pm Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
Interesting observations Ingrid.

Whilst I have not (dare not ) try Omega 3-6-9 as a stand alone therapy, I hear that an Indian Doctor in America has published a whole book on the subject that agrees with your own findings.

My own consultant Psychiatrist is not yet convinced enough yet to recommend that it would work in my own case.

By the way, your English is better than mine ! X-D

Warmest wishes,
Derek.

Ingrid

Posted Sun Feb 11th, 2007 10:55pm Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
Dear Derek,

Thank you so much for the compliment, you make me blush :-// , but it is nice to hear that it is not as bad as I was afraid of.

Do you happen to know the name of that Indian Doctor, it very much interested me.

You wrote that you do not dare to try Omega, but here in Holland I think half the population is using it for many reasons, one very different from the other. You can buy it anywhere you like, not only in drugstores. It is big business in Holland. Maybe that knowledge would take away second thoughts with you. Although, on the other hand, I strongly believe that if you are not completely sure with something you should not start taking it.

I read some articles about omega on the internet today, and I found that it is omega 3 that is suppose to do some good for people with depression. An epicemically research is supposed to show that people with depression did not have the same amount of omega 3 in their blood as people without depressions did.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Warm wishes to you to,
Ingrid

ClareBear

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 7:17am Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
There are a lot of posts on this section of the boards about the benefits if Krill Oil.....might be worth doing a search.

MaryD

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 5:38pm Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
Ingrid,

I haven't been on the forum in a long time, but I was on today & noticed your post. Omega 3 has greatly helped me with depression. The best ways to get it are fish oil or krill oil - I take Antarctic Krill Oil as it is even more bioavailable than fish oil. It can correct deficiencies in the brain that lead to depression. That may be why you plunge back into depression if you stop taking it - our brains need a constant supply of the EPAs and DHAs in Omega 3 oils in order to do repairs and routine maintenance. So it is definitely addressing the source of at least one of the common causes of depression.

For more information, please see my other posts on fish and krill oil.

Best wishes,
Mary

Ingrid

Posted Tue Feb 13th, 2007 10:42pm Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
Dear Atari and Mary,

Thank you very much for your answers. I was not aware that there were more posts about this subject. I will certainly try to find the other posts and read them.

Best wishes,
Ingrid

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 10:11am Post subject: Omega 3-6-9
[ Boredom is the envy of those who are preoccupied
:'( Your findings through whatever means you found them, are indeed correct. I took all the threads of knowledge and common sense that possessed me and realised and have come back to the conclusion that fish oils,especially omega 3 are an important factor in physical health.If your physicall health is well. You do not need to worry, and worry causes stress. Hence the lead on to depression and even mania( which i am recovering from) I somehow came to realise whilst in hospital .Through some very deep thinking and inner analysis going on, that whilst you feel anxiety, you also feel papitations. The heart palpitates and it needs feeding. This is where the clever properties of the Omega 3 come in.This is of course MY theory. I believe that if I am kind to my physicl heart, then I am also feeding it , nurturing it and that means in actual way as well as the spiritual way. We use our hearts to love after all? When depression hits, we seem to lose the love. I lost touch of my feelings and travelled all around to try and find them(literally!)Only when i became the'ZOMBIE' did I realise I needed help. I do not believe we need antidepressents atall! But patience with ourselves and from those around us. I have always had a fascination with Steven Fry. And I enjoyed reading 'saving the spectacled bear' and I only became curious as I have lived in Peru and visited the jungle as a teenager. I was in stitches with the discription of his nightly animal chaotic sounds. I recognised them instantly and felt we had something in common. But I didnt know what- till later! Back to Omega. I shall continue to feed my heart with it. But like Steven (love him) I'm not impartial to a naughty smoke and a good nights sleep (they're important too) with the help of whatever is appropriate to give me one,;a nights sleep of course! . That is down to personal choice and taste. In Stevens' case a Zopliclone.Good for Steven. I do not want to hurry my recovery, I've only been out of hospital for a few days. I need to learn to be sensible about my time and planning, Especially as I have others involved in it .My children and husband. They are going to have to be patient with me! Patience and understanding from both parties. I've surprised the lot of them in the hospital. I do have alot of respect and understanding from the psycholist (thank you sue). I only hope I did'nt drive the poor nurses insane with MY madness! I want to write in the future. 2 books in mind. One I would like to call 'Help ! am I too clever, GET ME OUTA HERE!' and M.A.D (making a difference) who would want to read my books?Very interested in peoples thoughts and experiences - especially if they've checked themselves out of hospital WITHOUT being put on a section! X-D [/i]those who are bored are creatively idol