Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Wdfmap76

Posted Sat Sep 26th, 2009 3:38am Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

As both a son of the Bluegrass and a disciple of Colonel Harland Sanders, I was grateful to Stephen Fry for his positive and most entertaining visit to Kentucky, as all too often our beautiful state is caricatured in the media as a haven for the ignorant, the inbred, and the unbathed. I particularly liked his visit to the Woodford Reserve distillery! Apart from our fast horses, fried chicken, and beautiful women, we do have the smoothest whisky in the world!

I watched the entire series during a 15-hour flight from LA to Hong Kong back in March of this year, and I loved every minute of it! Thank you, Mr. Fry, and "Y'all come back now, y'hear?"

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Sep 28th, 2009 8:24am Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

I was thrilled that he spent so much time there...as I am currently in Kentucky. I loathe almost everything about being here (too small a pond for this urbanite) but I was glad to see he didn't find the back woods nutters.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

cianistarle

Posted Tue Oct 20th, 2009 2:23pm Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

I also found his travels in Kentucky wondeful. As an ex-pat American, having lived in the midwest and having travelled to Kentucky many times, it was so sweet to hear someone share in all that is wonderful there. There are so many beatutifl people and things in that state that he could have touched on, but his tribute was thoughtful and lovely to watch.
I have been to 46 of the 50 states, and lived in 5 of them. I only wish he could be given the chance to do all of the states!
Thank you for such a touching show.

helenroper11

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 2:58am Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

I'm from rural southeastern Nebraska and now live in Scottsdale, AZ (via a few other places, U.S. and Europe), and am fascinated by Kentucky. I haven't had the privilege of spending any time there myself (only driving through Paducah on the way to and from Atlanta) but I think I'd like to live there. The Deep South is the only episode of this series I've seen--yesterday evening, in fact--but I was so impressed and enchanted. What an original and refreshing account. Thank you so much, Mr. Fry. And, I'll address this question Wdfmap76 in particular (since you're from Kentucky), how does a single gal in Scottsdale meet a nice single Kentucky gentleman?

Daniel Mugan

Posted Mon Apr 4th, 2011 6:09pm Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

I found it quite hilarious when Stephen 'incorrectly' pronounced the band name, 'The Mount'n Gals'.

Daniel Mugan

Posted Fri Apr 8th, 2011 2:48pm Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

Daniel Mugan said:
I found it quite hilarious when Stephen 'incorrectly' pronounced the band name, 'The Mount'n Gals'.

Or, perhaps that was Tennessee.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 9th, 2011 11:50am Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

Kentucky is pretty. Thr Lexington area my favorite. Of course, that's horse country too and why....I believe the UK's own Queen owns land and keeps horses there.

I was going to set there till I discovered North Carolina and overjoyed with my decision.

I do wish I'd gone to Mammoth caves though. Luckily, NC has some too - though nowhere near as large as Mammoth I think.

For some reason, I've a memory that Mr.Fry went to eat dinner w/some wealthy dude there and got into an arguement with his host that was so bad, the dude kicked him out.....????

Iwas

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Tue Jun 14th, 2011 4:10pm Post subject: On Mr. Fry's visit to the Commonwealth of Kentucky...

Nitro said:
Kentucky is pretty. Thr Lexington area my favorite. Of course, that's horse country too and why....I believe the UK's own Queen owns land and keeps horses there.

i'm moving there in a few weeks! a relocation due to work & partner's work. have only actually been there for a couple days but it looks good.

but my brother and his wife live in NC and it is fabulous too. I love any place that has a beach AND good barbecue.

i would be sad to be moving away from family again, but now my hope is that the parents can one day move to western NC or something and be inbetween us. it'd be better life and health care for them too.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name