Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 5:26pm Post subject: One for Easter
As it's almost upon us.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 5:37pm Post subject: One for Easter
hahaha....

Flossy

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 8:00pm Post subject: One for Easter
Easter confuses me!

Where do we find Choccy Bunnies in the bible?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 10:12pm Post subject: One for Easter
Easter isnt actually a christian thing, it was just combined with it so that the pagans would comply..... no idea about the chocolate bunnies.... i think bunnies represent spring though or something

Jenn_E

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2007 10:27pm Post subject: One for Easter
X-D That's great!

Aoibheann

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 12:06am Post subject: One for Easter
wait... are we forgetting about good friday and easter monday... you know.... when christ was ment to have been crusified and came back as a holy spirit? anybody? granted it was combined with that tradition of giving eggs... then the companies took over and now its chocolate eggs....... not that im complaining...

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 12:09am Post subject: One for Easter
The Return of the Bitten Bunnies.

trouser material

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:48am Post subject: One for Easter
Easter is instantly forgettable to me. I'm not religious and i don't eat chocolate. Its just an excuse (mainly for women) to gluttonise and scroffle too much chocolate. Again.

On a similar but slightly different note (and very contradictory i know X-D ) has anybody tried the new peanut kit kats? They're absolutely fantastic.

Gravesy

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 9:04am Post subject: One for Easter
Easter isnt actually a christian thing, it was just combined with it so that the pagans would comply..... no idea about the chocolate bunnies.... i think bunnies represent spring though or something

Eddie Izzard: "And kids eat chocolate because the colour of chocolate and the colour of the wood on the cross"

There we go, mystery solved

Flossy

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 9:42am Post subject: One for Easter
But surely the wood on the cross was red with the blood of our lord?

Nonsense of course, it's all about making money/profits from choccy sales.

As Bill Hicks so eloquently puts it "Why chocolate bunnies? Why not Lincoln logs in your sock draw! Now that has a real miraculous conertation!"

Canzonett

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:14am Post subject: One for Easter
wait... are we forgetting about good friday and easter monday... you know.... when christ was ment to have been crusified and came back as a holy spirit?
Uh-oh - I smell some serious dogmatic trouble here ...

@Flossy: Where do we find Christmas trees and Santa Claus in the Bible?

And - yes, indeed, Easter (and even more so Good Friday) are central for the Christian faith. Even if one concedes that the celebration of Easter very probably has taken up influences from pre-Christian religions. (Not to forget its transformation of elements from the Jewish passover rites.) But this is an entirely different matter than the original topic of this post. I thought we were supposed to be discussing chocolate bunnies.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:17am Post subject: One for Easter
In case you're interested in a historian's feeble explanation, here goes:
The first easter bunny and easter eggs were mentioned in the late 17th century by an Elsassian doctor. There are many hypotheses as to why Easter is linked with bunnies and eggs. Here are only three of them:
- the term Easter could etymologically derive from the anglo saxon goddess of spring, Eostre, or her germanic equivalent Ostara, whose tributes were supposedly hare and egg.
- Easter is celebrated the sunday after the first full moon in spring. One symbol for the full moon used to be the hare.
- another hypothese muses that a baked easter lamb could have been mistaken for a bunny.
Choose what you like best

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:25am Post subject: One for Easter

Every single Christian festival is a hijacked Pagan festival.

trouser material

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 12:51pm Post subject: One for Easter
- another hypothese muses that a baked easter lamb could have been mistaken for a bunny.
Choose what you like best

I like the baked lamb the best!

And lamb eggs.............oh dear i'm still confused.

Flossy

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 1:25pm Post subject: One for Easter
Come on people! Get real!

It doesn't matter what it's origins are, today It's about making money!

Chocolate Bunnies indeed!

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit yak yak bunny bunny yak yak bunny bunny yak yak bunny bunny yak!!