Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

5teve

Posted Wed Sep 22nd, 2010 10:25pm Post subject: One for the QI elves to ponder over.

Hi everyone.
I have just finished watching an episobe of QI and the panelists were Phil Jupitus, Dara OBriain, Jo Brand and the other chap. One of the questions was about how many muscles there were in human fingers.
The real answer is "None" which Stephen demonstrated by having the players put the end of all 5 digits on the desk and then tuck the middle finger under until the first knuckle was on the desk.
Stephen showed that it was impossible to raise the end of the ring finger off the desk.

OK, that preamble has finally brought me to the main point.
My step father was a life long pianist with his playing ranging from classical concerts to the Big Band sounds of the 40's, 50's and 60's as well as playing down the boozer on the odd week night. In other words, he played the piano and electric organ for over 50 years and most days of the week and he COULD lift his ring finger off the table.
He said that it was due to the endless practice and playing having to use just that finger to play a note. He told me that many top class pianists had the ability.

What do the elves think about this?
Ta very much
Steve

cirianz

Posted Sun Sep 26th, 2010 12:49pm Post subject: One for the QI elves to ponder over.

I also am very curious since I too can do this and I am not a pianist, although I am an Artist in a style that requires very finely controlled & precise movements. Although I don't know if that is actually relevant to the ability, or if it is just some fluke of genetics.
I await a response with bated breath....

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Sep 26th, 2010 1:52pm Post subject: One for the QI elves to ponder over.

Hi 5teve and cirianz. To the best of my knowledge the QI elves do not visit this website. You may want to try posing your question on this site http://www.qi.com/ . Good luck.

5teve

Posted Sun Oct 3rd, 2010 9:40am Post subject: One for the QI elves to ponder over.

Thank you, ginj.
I'll give it a go.
Steve