Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Bennyboy1979

Posted Fri Feb 11th, 2011 12:22am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

Knowing what a fan of Oscar Wilde Stephen is and seeing as I am currently writing an Essay about Oscar Wilde's literary works and how he broke down the standards of Victorian Society concerning literature. I would be super greatful if anyone could give me a short message concerning what you think of him? A genius or just a show off? This would be invaluable in my research and give me some great opinions of what people think.

Thank you so much!
Ben.

Ben.

Boizeau

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 3:51am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

I saw this film a few years back and in my opinion the production was a work of art. A combination of exceptional talent and timing with awsome period music, 'not to mention a very attactive Jude Law as Beauzie.' I have ever since held an exeptional regard for Stephen Fry who seemed so very much to identify with and capture a very favorable aspect of Oscar Wilde. I tend to doubt that Mr. Wilde would in real life live up to that persona, but then again Mr. Fry is a hard act to follow. An absolutely adorable film.
I do hope to get the soundtrack for my car.
Have hopes to see more productions of a similar sort by Mr. Fry.

Apple

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 4:58am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

I don't think he was a genius, nor a showoff. He was just different. The way he said things, the way he looked. It was very different from the rest of society in the Victorian era, and I think his exotic nature intrigued the people. Oscar was at first popular for his literature and plays. He then became notorious for his 'crime', which I believe is part of the reason he is remembered today.

I wish I could help you and say more. I just did a research essay on the Victorian era, and the very next week I decided to watch the movie Wilde. Now I feel utterly stupid for leaving him out of my essay.

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

Nitro

Posted Sun Feb 20th, 2011 7:54am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

"I don't think he was a genius, nor a showoff. He was just different."

^5!!!

Really? Wow.

Boizeau

Posted Fri Feb 25th, 2011 2:05am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

The main point to be made was that Stephen Fry created a persona that was adorable. My concern was more of the mood created by the film and its cohesive rhythm, not the historical accuracy of the script, though I am sure that it touched reality in many points.
He just presents a most likeable character in this story.

Kelwalin

Posted Fri May 13th, 2011 12:48am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

Only slim chance Mr. Fry and you guys who are Oscar Wilde's fan haven't come across this. But if you guys haven't, then here it is :
http://www.salon.com/books/2011/05/01/picture_of_dorian_gray_oscar_wilde

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 11th, 2011 5:21pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

eyeroll an opinion...very good...don't strain yourself on my account though...

i agree there are moments in the film that are very good and also agree mr.fry did a fantastic job in the role...and my personal opinion is that more casting agents ought to consider him and should have much more previously....

i do not agree that good moments in a film make the entire film a success...in any event, the film, I assume, was 'about' Oscar Wilde, not Stephen Fry...

Really? Wow.

Mr. David

Posted Sun Jan 22nd, 2012 9:07pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

Surely a genius! Wilde was gifted with being able to see truth and beauty in the world around him. And a show off? No. Just the way that much pure talent would come across.

Stefi

Posted Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 4:25pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

Ever since seeing the film I've been very fond of Oscar Wilde. I started reading is work and I immideately loved his style of writing. Of course, one can't know his real personality and of course Stephen Fry played him admirably. If I met him, who knows, I might hate him... but for me, that's not the point, because I will never meet him and what use would it be to analyse all his known deeds and words sceptically to find out if he was the man I so enjoy believing him to have been? The values "my" Oscar Wilde tought me don't change, wheter he really was that person or not.

I hope that made any sense... Let's just say I choose him to be a person whom i can admire.
And he wrote great literature.

But genius or not... I guess you know that quote from Einstein:“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
IMHO, he was a genius in writing. Maybe in other things too, but what do I know?

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 24th, 2012 1:53am Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

No, I think you make a good point about character analysis Stefi. Oscar, imho, understood the concept of 'branding' before it was a method that our modern world kind of takes for granted. People who create YT channels often study marketing and the idea of 'branding' becomes a more widespread tool in an effort to get public awareness.

I tend towards appreciating a fair look at things and it doesn't really impact my opinion of Mr.Wilde's talents. But I do kind of think it's important to recognize that he had a few things that if he did not have them, I'm not convinced he would've been as well known.

For one, he moved in certain circles that gained him contacts and opportunities that an impoverished and uneducated youth might not have allowed for. This is one reason why advocates for the poor emphasize how important equal access to Education is.

For two, I'm still conflicted, I admit, about some of Oscar's personal choices. For example, Bosie was a member of the Uranian ( something like that, Wiki-it ) club that had an ideology of young man/old man relationships that on closer examination might've made sense to Sparta's, um, 'mentoring' military relationships. During Oscar's trial, some of the rent boys that testified were as young as 12. I'm not sure that would go over any better now than it did then.

Oscar's apologists about his decisions are pretty well known. Which is a great springboard for people to decide for themselves if it matters if a celebrity of [whatever] also has a good character and what standard does the general public base that standard on?

In our times, we can ask: Does it matter, artistically, if Michael Jackson was actually a pedophile? And, what do we mean by 'matter'? Or do we give people of some certain talent a 'pass' in regards to these things simply because they can paint or write or act well.

Finally, Oscar had a mentor that most Oscar fans don't know about but can be found on Wiki. I reference Wiki because a) I'm in a bit of a concussion cloud right now and b) I think it's better for people to read these things for themselves anyway.

The idea that a fanbase can really turn on someone very, very quickly and with devestating results is, to me, one massive strike against the idea of fame. Oscar paid a very high price, and not just himself but his wife and children. They were totally innocent but their lives turned catastrophic while Oscar indulged himself. So, on the topic of artist and art, you know, what if wearing purple shoe laces suddenly became 'immoral' and an artist was caught on the lower east side with them on? Facetitious, slightly. But adoring fans can become a crucifying mob. And that sort of sickens me lol

Really? Wow.

Victoria de Almeida

Posted Tue Jul 10th, 2012 5:50pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

Trying to figure out how to post my painting of Stephen Fry! I sent this painting to Stephen Fry him self on June 5th from Santa Fe, NM USA. I got a letter back telling me I owe tariff on it and it must be paid before they will deliver it to him. Any advice on how to get it to Stephen Fry? It's sitting at a post office near his agency waiting to be picked up. I all ready emailed Hodell Limited to tell them the painting is waiting for him but have heard no reply. WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS PAITING IN HIS HANDS. Advice please!

Victoria de Almeida
Santa Fe, New Mexico
www.VictoriaDeAlmeida.com

cerberos

Posted Mon Apr 8th, 2013 12:24pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

If (Nitro)we ponder about Wilde's privilige ( from having access to higher society) and advocacy for the poor; then on his choices of rentboys and their ages etc; I find it useful to compare and contrast with the life of Arthur Rimbaud, in to define/separate the exploiter and the exploitee, and whether Rimbauds self-effected professional assination would have been Wilde's eventual end had not Queensbury got there first?

cerberos

Posted Mon Apr 8th, 2013 12:32pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde.

"Each one kills the one he loves and so he has to die" ( Ballard of Reading Gaol)

Initially and at the height of fame and creativity, both Wilde and Rimbaud could be said to have loved themselves more than others they loved.....both of them inadvertantly killed the self-image of themselves they loved, through self-indulgance, and then went on to punish themselves for so-doing, by going into obscurity and early death.

(I would postulate!....copyright-me..today!! )